brenthutch

California’s Plastic Bag Ban Backfires

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&sca_esv=c89792427d75d45d&channel=iphone_bm&sxsrf=ACQVn0-d0XeGCp_QC7fT-GDLOXAbPYqBkA:1709394242931&q=california+plastic+bag+ban&tbm=nws&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiLuIXl9dWEAxV5F1kFHfGXBqMQ0pQJegQIDRAB&biw=1128&bih=769&dpr=2

A report by the consumer advocacy group CALPIRGfound the tonnage of discarded bags rose from 4.08 per 1,000 people in 2014 to 5.89 per 1,000 people in 2021—a record high. The actual tonnage of plastic waste increased by almost 50 percent.”

These results are the same or even worse in other states that have followed California’s example. I think this is what progressives call progress :rofl:

15 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&sca_esv=c89792427d75d45d&channel=iphone_bm&sxsrf=ACQVn0-d0XeGCp_QC7fT-GDLOXAbPYqBkA:1709394242931&q=california+plastic+bag+ban&tbm=nws&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiLuIXl9dWEAxV5F1kFHfGXBqMQ0pQJegQIDRAB&biw=1128&bih=769&dpr=2

A report by the consumer advocacy group CALPIRGfound the tonnage of discarded bags rose from 4.08 per 1,000 people in 2014 to 5.89 per 1,000 people in 2021—a record high. The actual tonnage of plastic waste increased by almost 50 percent.”

These results are the same or even worse in other states that have followed California’s example. I think this is what progressives call progress :rofl:

New Jersey's experience was pretty much identical.  The road to hell and all that.

1 hour ago, winsor said:

New Jersey's experience was pretty much identical.  The road to hell and all that.

The enviro-nazis forced that on us a couple years ago here. Re-usable bags get filthy. During Covid the stores didn't know what to do. Cashiers were not allowed to touch them. I now have to buy plastic garbage bags instead of repurposing grocery bags. And don't get me started on paper straws at takeout restaurants.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

And that makes you happy? It was a failure in the laws writing that allowed for the sale of thicker bags at the store. You really have some strange issues.

2 minutes ago, billvon said:

Your annoyance makes him happy.

Maybe if he's happy someone near him will be happy, too. And then people near those people will be happy and then on and on and on until the whole world is happy. Wouldn't that be nice? And all because some fool on a boat off Panama got annoyed. Damn, Bill, my eyes are getting wet here.

11 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Maybe if he's happy someone near him will be happy, too. And then people near those people will be happy and then on and on and on until the whole world is happy.

But then he would not be.

59 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

And all because some fool on a boat off Panama got annoyed. Damn, Bill, my eyes are getting wet here.

At sea and wet eyes? That might explain why you seem to be getting a little salty lately.

51 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

At sea and wet eyes? That might explain why you seem to be getting a little salty lately.

Salty? That’s not lately, that’s my default position and I do believe it is a value proposition, generally. I concede that I get after it with some posters who have agendas, especially the religious. You enjoy touching softly, playing the middle ground, and just posting a lot across the many threads for the fun of it. You think me salty, I consider you not especially serious. 

7 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

I consider you not especially serious. 

Good grief, I hope to never feel especially serious. Especially here. Actually what I try to do is keep it light on top with a more serious undertone. It's not that I don't care, it's that I only have the questions not the answers.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

it's that I only have the questions not the answers.

Thank you Mahatma Gandi. Of course, that's bullshit. You post everywhere on Dizzy with opinions and anything that comes to mind at the moment. You just like it.

1 minute ago, JoeWeber said:

Thank you Mahatma Gandi. Of course, that's bullshit. You post everywhere on Dizzy with opinions and anything that comes to mind at the moment. You just like it.

When I have an answer I am not afraid to say so, that’s true. But many of the subjects that come up in this forum do not have answers. Only opinions. I will sometimes give an opinion, but only once. When the thread turns into the same points over and over, and especially when it turns to matters of faith, I find it quite pointless.   

I reserve the right to jump in with one liners when I feel like it even if it annoys you. Perhaps others object but only you complain. I can live with that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gowlerk said:

When I have an answer I am not afraid to say so, that’s true. But many of the subjects that come up in this forum do not have answers. Only opinions. I will sometimes give an opinion, but only once. When the thread turns into the same points over and over, and especially when it turns to matters of faith, I find it quite pointless.   

I reserve the right to jump in with one liners when I feel like it even if it annoys you. Perhaps others object but only you complain. I can live with that.

Sure.

9 hours ago, brenthutch said:

It would make me happy to see more folks learning from California’s failures instead of emulating them.

No, your "laughing" emoji was literally laughing about plastic waste increasing.

Something's gone very wrong in your life that you're acting like a cartoon villain. What next - rolling over laughing if a progressive train driver causes a toxic spill in your town resulting in an environmental disaster?

You should try practising that laugh in the mirror. For villains, british accents are also popular, need any help with that?

10 hours ago, brenthutch said:

It would make me happy to see more folks learning from California’s failures instead of emulating them.

The pandemic changed what had been a relatively, albeit not completely, successful attempt at reducing litter and plastic waste. Because plastic waste becomes litter. I’m guessing you’d push back at the accusation that you like litter, and I’ll just bet that you dont enjoy paying extra for waste disposal. We assume you think recycling attempts, if they’re for ostensibly green reasons, are stupid. How about for money-saving reasons? Or are you committed to increasing your footprint so everyone KNOWS YOU WERE HERE?

Wendy P. 

(edited)

Nylon will not degrade for a very long time. I suppose it could be incinerated, but the gasses produced would be quite toxic. I'm not aware of any recycling done. We don't reuse it it when all that webbing, Cordura and fabric becomes becomes obsolete or out of fashion. I believe the government should mandate that we revert to using cotton, linen and silk.

Edited by gowlerk

13 hours ago, brenthutch said:

The whole world has and is instituting carbon controls, plastic use restrictions and measures to preserve the environment. With Europe leading those efforts.

Why not be honest about these measures. Its an Ah! Ha! moment every time you can post here something that runs counter to those ideals.

(edited)
4 hours ago, olofscience said:

Something's gone very wrong in your life that you're acting like a cartoon villain. 

Did you miss seeing my avatar?

”I am cold and I am hard and my name…is Reality!”

I am the villainous Reality in the safe-space of Speakers Corner 

Edited by brenthutch

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

well meaning yet so blinded by virtue signaling that they fail to see the damage they cause

But you're laughing at the damage. I need to emphasise: you're laughing at the damage.

You're not laughing at just the progressives any more. You delight in the damage.

You've got serious problems, man.

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

I am the villainous Reality in the safe-space of Speakers Corner 

Nah, reality isn't that bad at maths.

35 minutes ago, olofscience said:
4 hours ago, brenthutch said:

well meaning yet so blinded by virtue signaling that they fail to see the damage they cause

But you're laughing at the damage. I need to emphasise: you're laughing at the damage.

You're not laughing at just the progressives any more. You delight in the damage.

You've got serious problems, man.

You'd have a point it he started a thread with a giant photo of a pile of trash without any other context, and said "BWHAHAHAHAHA!"

He already told you who he's "laughing" at and why, and it's not the damage, you know he's not and everyone else knows he's not, so stop acting like a typical gen z tik-toker and get over it.

• Like 1