gowlerk

Transition away!

5 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Not happening. Blood sucking DZO's will never do anything not in the service of maximum profits.

Right.  But consider a timed out C206-scale electric aircraft, with only 40% left in its batteries.  Enough for perhaps two climbs to altitude before recharging.  If they could get it for the same cost as a gas C206 - AND not have to pay for gas - that's going to make the dollar signs light up in even the cheapest DZO's eyes.

1 minute ago, billvon said:

Right.  But consider a timed out C206-scale electric aircraft, with only 40% left in its batteries.  Enough for perhaps two climbs to altitude before recharging.  If they could get it for the same cost as a gas C206 - AND not have to pay for gas - that's going to make the dollar signs light up in even the cheapest DZO's eyes.

Maybe when lighter than aircraft are hoisting charging stations to 14K, I reckon. But the big problem is that, and I get my news only from reputable sources like here, Electric Vehicles never wear out except the batteries and they're only 20% of the cost per vehicle. Also, just like there is no market for used gas tanks we can expect those batteries to just pile up, too.

16 minutes ago, billvon said:

Well, heck, gas airplanes never wear out except the engines, but they still get pretty cheap if they're old enough.

When I first started buying used Caravans in the early 90's banks would lend on the airframe/engine values and the expected 5% annual appreciation, there was even a chart. First time I sat down I had every t crossed and i dotted in my financials. he took a quick look and went right to the spec sheet of the airplane.

42 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

When I first started buying used Caravans in the early 90's banks would lend on the airframe/engine values and the expected 5% annual appreciation, there was even a chart. First time I sat down I had every t crossed and i dotted in my financials. he took a quick look and went right to the spec sheet of the airplane.

Cessna lists an appreciation schedule in its owners manual/ service manual?

W/O derailing the thread. The most brilliant auto engineer IMO just laid out a Dark Matter Raxial Flux 6-phase E-motor of 800 hp, 922 ft lb of torque, that weighs 39 kg.(86 lbs). Which is 246 lbs less than the 800 hp PT-6-140 Blackhawk engine.

Pictured below is its older cousin which develops 335 hp and is pictured besides a 330 ml energy drink.

spacer.png

Soon to be installed on C-182 aircraft to put out of business climate doubters like BH.

Edited by Phil1111

2 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

W/O derailing the thread. The most brilliant auto engineer IMO just laid out a Dark Matter Raxial Flux 6-phase E-motor of 800 hp, 922 ft lb of torque, that weighs 39 kg.(86 lbs). Which is 246 lbs less than the 800 hp PT-6-140 Blackhawk engine.

Pictured below is its older cousin which develops 335 hp and is pictured besides a 330 ml energy drink.

spacer.png

Soon to be installed on C-182 aircraft to put out of business climate doubters like BH.

Now that's transitioning right there. Put me down for a pair as soon as the STC comes out.

I haven't kept up much with this technology but am wondering if a reliable means of controlling prop blade angle exists absent oil pressure.  

I've always thought that electric airplanes with a changeable battery pack would work well for skydiving given a single base of operations and the short flights.

19 minutes ago, theplummeter said:

I haven't kept up much with this technology but am wondering if a reliable means of controlling prop blade angle exists absent oil pressure.  

I've always thought that electric airplanes with a changeable battery pack would work well for skydiving given a single base of operations and the short flights.

They have electric those I think.

5 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

spacer.png

However it happens, happen it will. Better batteries, 100% efficiency solar everything, or maybe some kid sorts out how to tap into the planets electric field with an app. However it is coming and all to the Luddites chagrin.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

However it happens, happen it will. Better batteries, 100% efficiency solar everything, or maybe some kid sorts out how to tap into the planets electric field with an app. However it is coming and all to the Luddites chagrin.

I'm thinking 20 years to the STC. No more hot starts, hot section inspections, etc. Those electric motors have one moving part so just prop and governor overhauls. Full power to 18.5. :D They will put wind tunnels out of business.

Edited by Phil1111

22 hours ago, gowlerk said:

What a victory! The world is going to transition away from fossil fuels. So I’m wondering what are you going to do to help in this effort?

China is doing its part, building hundreds of new coal fired plants to power the factories to meet the anticipated demand for solar panels and wind turbines…Which begs the question…why not use wind and solar instead?

4 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

China is doing its part, building hundreds of new coal fired plants to power the factories to meet the anticipated demand for solar panels and wind turbines…Which begs the question…why not use wind and solar instead?

You're asking why they're not using wind and solar to build the equipment to build out the infrastructure for wind and solar?  

Again, Brent makes the case that wind and solar aren't here to support 100% of our energy needs right out of the gate and so they're not viable options.  And again I'll ask: did you keep the receipt for that MBA?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lippy said:

You're asking why they're not using wind and solar to build the equipment to build out the infrastructure for wind and solar?  

Again, Brent makes the case that wind and solar aren't here to support 100% of our energy needs right out of the gate and so they're not viable options.  And again I'll ask: did you keep the receipt for that MBA?

It was a rhetorical question ;)

The great energy transition announcement of COP 28 was just more words. The host nation throws a big party, bureaucrats, politicians and hangers on fly in on their private jets, make lots of pronouncements, make empty promises and check their calendar for the next big party. Nothing actually changes, (other than the ever growing level of CO2 in the atmosphere.

https://images.app.goo.gl/rNxkoNwQRdufdeoK9

Edited by brenthutch

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

Which begs the question…why not use wind and solar instead?

They are.  They are adding 170 GIGAWATTS of solar in 2023.  That's the energy equivalent of 45 new nuclear power plants.

Wind is similar.  They added 110 gigawatts of wind in 2022, and are on track to do the same for this year.

Compare that to 95 gigawatts of new coal capability under construction in 2023.