2 2
brenthutch

EVs, Aspirations vs Reality

(edited)
On 10/28/2023 at 8:44 AM, billvon said:

Yep.  Mustang went EV to try to compete with Teslas.  Won't be long before gas cars are what your oddball uncle drives, and everyone else drives an EV.

hmmmmmmm interesting thread??? I'm > 60 and gasoline ICE cars have been a big part of my life

• 17 MOPARS ranging from 340s to 426 HEMIs
  • More recently
  • Audi V10 R8
  • Ferrar1 360 Modena
  • 9 Porsches of various flavors including track only cars

I have nothing against EVs and see that for many they are a good choice. If I had solar at my house, I'd buy a Bolt or Volt or similar, but electricity = too expensive in So Cal.

I'll own them eventually, but for now I just ordered an Audi A4 Avant and am shopping for a used RS6 Avant.

Onwards into the future?

Craig

Edited by kleggo

On 1/22/2024 at 8:36 PM, billvon said:

Interesting study out of Norway (where, despite the "understanding" of anti-EVers everywhere, they have both a lot of cold weather AND a lot of EVs) - 

I'd like to know more about this as I was recently wondering how well all the Teslas lived in Norway, a county known for serious weather AND a boatload of ecars

40 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I think the biggest problem EVs have is the promise of some bright new future where they save the planet from total destruction.  While the kids have been scared into believing the adults aren't so sure.

And kids don’t buy cars

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Yep.  And they may grow ONLY 35% instead of 50% a year.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-01-30/europe-s-biggest-car-market-to-see-first-ev-slump-in-seven-years

Down 14% after the subsidies went away.  The same thing will happen here when the government stops wasting taxpayer dollars on bribing folks to buy an EV.

53 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I think the biggest problem EVs have is the promise of some bright new future where they save the planet from total destruction.  

I think 90% of the people who buy EVs could care less about "some bright future."

Our 82 year old neighbor just bought an Ioniq.  She's not hoping for some bright new future.

A 65 year old neigbor farther down the road thinks climate change is a bunch of "media nonsense."  He just bought the Cadillac EV and keeps telling me how awesome it is.

My sister in law is buying a Mach-E this week.  She's not into saving the future either.  She's just driven our Tesla and now really wants an EV.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that the world is like DZ.com.  It's really not.  Most people want EVs because they go really fast, they require almost zero maintenance, they take less time overall and they're cheap to operate.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

The street consensus is only 16% and dropping 

So the best selling car in the world is electric and is going to grow sales by 16% in 2024 and you present that as evidence of the imminent demise of electric cars?

That MBA really paid off.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, billvon said:

Don't make the mistake of thinking that the world is like DZ.com.  It's really not.  Most people want EVs because they go really fast, they require almost zero maintenance, they take less time overall and they're cheap to operate.

One can only go so fast, we have these things called speed limits, and I quit stoplight to stoplight racing after high school. My annual oil change takes less time than it takes to charge a Tesla on a supercharger never mind the three minutes vs three hours to “recharge” our respective vehicles at a filling station.  And don’t forget a fender bender that involves the battery = totaled vehicle.  Once one considers depreciation and higher insurance rates, EVs aren’t the panacea the Fanboys are selling.

1 minute ago, SkyDekker said:

So the best selling car in the world is electric and is going to grow sales by 16% in 2024 and you present that as evidence of the imminent demise of electric cars?

That MBA really paid off.

Extrapolate the trend a few years or just look at what is happening in Germany now.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

One can only go so fast, we have these things called speed limits, and I quit stoplight to stoplight racing after high school. 

Yeah, I hear that's why the Mustang never really made its mark.

50 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

The E-Mustang is making skid marks in the pants of the management of Ford.

https://thedriven.io/2023/06/05/electric-ford-mustangs-have-a-demand-problem-as-mach-e-sales-slump-44-pct/

“EV demand is outstripping supply around the world.”

Is that really the article you want to link to?

(And come in, admit it, that Mustang thing really nailed you. Like, honestly just once show some self awareness - I promise it won’t hurt!)

7 minutes ago, jakee said:

“EV demand is outstripping supply around the world.”

Is that really the article you want to link to?

(And come in, admit it, that Mustang thing really nailed you. Like, honestly just once show some self awareness - I promise it won’t hurt!)

The Mustang to which you refer is an internal combustion vehicle, no?

16 hours ago, jakee said:

Yeah, I hear that's why the Mustang never really made its mark.

The E Mustang really hit the Mustang clubs, much like the Mazda version Ford tried in the 80's based on the Mazda 6 platform.

But Ford made the E Mustang for EPA requirements, or so I'm told by some executives over the Mustang product line.

On a personal note, I will ALWAYS regret selling that 66 Fastback I restored/modded. Damn. What a car.

12 hours ago, johnhking1 said:

And they probably have no idea how to.

Are you serious? 

I think the "gearhead" crowd is a bit smaller than it used to be,  but they're still there. 

Muscle cars are too expensive,  so, as kids have always done, they get what they can afford and work with what they have.  

• Like 1