tommyatkins

Why is skydiving so expensive in Cebu?

I'm a traveller, and was planning to do tandem skydiving with my friends during upcoming holiday in February. So I searched through websites to figure out how much it would cost us because I had no idea about it but thought it would be cheaper than doing it in Korea.

After 10 minutes of search, doing tandem skydiving turns out to cost 360USD in Cebu! I could pay less amount of money doing it in Korea. I don't know much about economics and heavy stuff, but I know fuel and wage gotta be hella cheaper in Cebu when compared to Korea, but what's this price? Does anyone can give my any reasonable answer?

but I know fuel and wage gotta be hella cheaper in Cebu when compared to Korea,

Not necessarily...airplanes take a different kind of fuel than motorbikes...cost more to transport a smaller quantity of magic gas so that may be a factor.

Also as mentioned - supply & demand, if it's a small operation the basic overhead needs to be covered by a smaller draw of customers...it is what it is.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

Not necessarily...airplanes take a different kind of fuel than motorbikes...cost more to transport a smaller quantity of magic gas so that may be a factor.

Also as mentioned - supply & demand, if it's a small operation the basic overhead needs to be covered by a smaller draw of customers...it is what it is.

should come here, we have SUPERmagic fuel.. ;)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

virgin-burner

should come here, we have SUPERmagic fuel.. ;)

Prolly just Magic Gas with a drop or two of Dragon piss...not worth the money.

Every type of recreational flying is more expensive outside the USA.
First, consider how many civilian airplanes are flying in South Korea.
How many gallons of avgas do South Koreans buy per year?
How many airplane spark plugs do South Koreans buy per year?
How many spare tires - for Cessnas - do South Koreans buy per year?
etc.
Then consider the cost of shipping all those consumable items - from the USA to South Korea - the cost of warehousing them, etc.

riggerrob

...consider how many civilian airplanes are flying in South Korea.
etc.
Then consider the cost of shipping all those consumable items - from the USA to South Korea - the cost of warehousing them, etc.

I understand all of that, that's probably why I have to pay $42 for 182 in 25 minutes to 10.000ft..
but
how come Lodi can offer $100 tandem ticket against 2-3 times more in rest of U.S.?
Seriously?
What goes around, comes later.

format

***...consider how many civilian airplanes are flying in South Korea.
etc.

I understand all of that, that's probably why I have to pay $42 for 182 in 25 minutes to 10.000ft..
but
how come Lodi can offer $100 tandem ticket against 2-3 times more in rest of U.S.?
Seriously?

Airplane maintenance is expensive.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Makes ya wonder huh?

If you went to a dentist that charges 1/3 of what every other dentist charges for the same work...wouldn't you ask yourself 'what's he not giving me that all the other are?' ;)

"...I could pay less amount of money doing it in Korea..."
I am really curious where in Korea (are talking about the South one?) you could pay less? Where in South Korea you could skydive at all if nearly whole SK airspace is controlled by military (SK and US)? Even US Special Forces in SK jump occasionly.
I am looking for contacts with SK skydivers. Your assistance would be highly appreciated.
Blue Sky

Southern_Man

******...consider how many civilian airplanes are flying in South Korea.
etc.

but
Seriously?

Airplane maintenance is expensive.

:D:D:D You owe me a keyboard:D:D:D
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

format

***...consider how many civilian airplanes are flying in South Korea.
etc.

but
Seriously?

Probably some of the same reasons that Planet Fitness can charge $10/month whereas my local gym charges $50/month. Its VOLUME. Lodi does a LOT of tandems. They do a LOT of tandems and thus keep their costs down. I would assume that some of that money comes from paying the instructors less as well. You guys are correct that the money is coming from somewhere else.

As for the dental analogy, its perfect! What if the dentist was giving up some cash, and the hygenist, and there was no office staff; and on top of that built their model of practice on high-volume rapid-turnover dentistry? You may get the same care for CERTAIN problems, but no bells and whistles and the dentist is able to provide a service cheaper while making less per visist but evening out with volume.

Lodi probably snatches a lot of business that would have otherwise jumped elsewhere.

Admittedly its nice they offer tandems for $100, some people can't afford much more and the experience changes lives.
You are not the contents of your wallet.