NeoX

When is it OK to make/receive phone calls during a skydive?

JohnnyMarko

I doubt I'll ever do BASE because I don't like to take risks.

Are you fucking serious? You don't take risks but you'll make a phone call during a skydive? Jesus, stay across the pond...[:/]
Are you American living in Sweden? I thought you would've sensed the deliberate irony in my statement. Not that it's completely without truth, but you did take the bait there pal.

This thread is indeed becoming retarded and it's definitely brought the keyboard warrior out in all of us. Goes to show that no matter how cool you think skydiving makes us, push the right buttons, and you can get anyone tapping that keyboard and arguing with usernames on a browser window on the Internet.

Now, I did actually concede the risks of using a mobile phone after Chris-Ottawa's reply earlier and I said:
NeoX

Chris-Ottawa, I've gotta hand it to you. You've explained the dangers of using a phone while skydiving pragmatically and in granular detail once again, in a way that makes perfect sense and painting a picture of a real situation.

Yes, all the scenarios you raised can be a distraction, and it only takes one distraction to kill you.

When I first posted this question, it was fairly whimsical in that I could just enter a call under canopy without a second thought and it would be simple. But, I now understand that it carries the same level of risks as many other types of jump and should be treated as such in terms of planning, safety, communication and limitations.

The problem is, repliers thereafter tend to read only the first and latest posts and miss all the ones in between and the discussion ends up going around in circles and the OP gets repeatedly harangued for things he already conceded but then got drawn into other unrelated arguments (such as the one that billvon started about mobile phones) which then causes other repliers to lambaste him further about the original topic. Frankly, it doesn't bother me and I'll likely get berated further for this post (the usual narcissist, arrogant, sociopath, whatever word is fashionable, etc. jibes) by those who just can't help their emotive keyboard tapping because they have to say something. But I do find it a little entertaining. In real life at the DZs, I'm regarded as a very safety-conscious jumper. And if I just decided to jump and make a phone call without questioning if it was safe at all, none of you would've even heard of me, yet that would be the most stupid thing to do. So, well done guys for frightening off any other novice that might want to ask a "stupid question" so they might go ahead and do it anyway without asking and get themselves killed. Bravo dropzone.com forum members. B|
He's doing his Superman thing.

NeoX

...Bravo dropzone.com forum members. B|

So now you want to tell us how to do something else we're experienced at?

You asked your original post in a daft fashion when a clear question would have gotten a clear answer, and then tried to obfuscate the message with some sort of international battle of wits. If you don't like the turn the thread has taken, then you need to bear some responsibility yourself.

Communication via text medium doesn't convey subtleties. You, with all of your (IMO poor) attempts at what you see as sarcasm, irony and wit are confusing the message more than anyone.

Many newbies ask a question in a straightforward manner and get a good answer. They show an attitude of wanting to learn.
Within 3 posts you'd shown a completely different attitude and that's the reason you're getting this kind of response. Unfortunately it's difficult to make a 2nd first impression...

yoink

***...Bravo dropzone.com forum members. B|

So now you want to tell us how to do something else we're experienced at?

You asked your original post in a daft fashion when a clear question would have gotten a clear answer, and then tried to obfuscate the message with some sort of international battle of wits. If you don't like the turn the thread has taken, then you need to bear some responsibility yourself.

Communication via text medium doesn't convey subtleties. You, with all of your (IMO poor) attempts at what you see as sarcasm, irony and wit are confusing the message more than anyone.

Many newbies ask a question in a straightforward manner and get a good answer. They show an attitude of wanting to learn.
Within 3 posts you'd shown a completely different attitude and that's the reason you're getting this kind of response. Unfortunately it's difficult to make a 2nd first impression...
And yoink gets first prize for responding exactly how I alluded to.

I don't dislike any turn the thread has taken. I've got what I need, now I'm just using it for entertainment while I spend Sunday buying bathroom furniture online (boring as fook btw). And not really interested in making a second first impression as I wasn't too fussed about a first first impression tbh. Seems this forum is full of egocentric sociopaths. Which is ironic as I'm one, too, but the difference is, I'm a rookie skydiver and you lot who've replied are (mostly) experienced. Goes to show what becoming an experienced skydiver can turn you into - overly protective of the sport, uptight and rookie-bashing, and I've seen a lot of those already in real life - I tend to avoid them but I recognise it comes with the territory of skydiving - it's a sport that is well-known to attract narcissists, egotists and sociopaths - the ones to avoid are those who don't believe they're one of them. I'll ensure I stay out of those circles and stick with those who remember their roots. I've met some very cool peeps in skydiving, too. They make up less than 10% of skydivers. I suspect Chris-Ottawa is one of the cool ones.

NeoX

it's a sport that is well-known to attract narcissists, egotists and sociopaths - the ones to avoid are those who don't believe they're one of them. I'll ensure I stay out of those circles....

hahaha. Not that is irony.

Careful pal. You're already well on the way to having mad skillz... usually found in less than 10% of skydivers, coincidentally.

Enjoy your bathroom shopping. Hope you don't have to learn anything you don't already know as you're doing it.

BillyVance

Chalk him in on the bounce bingo board and just wait.

Hopefully he is just a troll, and finally got his rocks off.

if only sangi had listened when everyone was telling him not to. I still feel sorry for Sangi. At least he's still alive and didn't hurt anyone but himself and his family.:(

The ability of jumpers to invent new ways to kill themselves and now take others with them. Almost surprises even this one jump wonder. :)
Note to other jumpers: Dont try this stupid shit, don't even joke about it. Someone might take this crap seriously and try it. Because they think they know better.

Time for my milk, cookies and nap.

Maybe if and when I wakeup this whole thread was just a nighmare.[:/]
One Jump Wonder

>I doubt I'll ever do BASE because I don't like to take risks.

Good for you! Smart to evaluate your acceptable level of risk beforehand and make decisions based on that.

>Good I don't have that attitude and posted this topic then, ey?

" I should probably do something much safer such as BASE jumping off a cliff"

You do. But again it's a phase most skydivers go through. Just try to remain open to learning as you gain experience.

> You should know "your enemy" before making such statements.Otherwise,
>don't make assumptions about people you don't know as that can
>often lead to embarrassing situations.

?? I'm not; that was you with the assumptions. (And BTW I don't consider you an enemy, just a new skydiver.)

NeoX

I doubt I'll ever do BASE because I don't like to take risks.

Are you fucking serious? You don't take risks but you'll make a phone call during a skydive? Jesus, stay across the pond...[:/]
Are you American living in Sweden? I thought you would've sensed the deliberate irony in my statement. Not that it's completely without truth, but you did take the bait there pal.
Swede in Merica

Anywayz, everyone else, thanks for your honest opinions, really appreciate it. And it's been emotional. I definitely won't be making phone calls while skydiving ever. Never really intended to anyway. I was just exploring the concept out of curiosity. As it's so easy to do, and I have no doubt in my mind it has been done a thousand times already... which is why I wanted to ask the question. My conclusion is that most experienced skydivers are in denial that it happens as often as it does. But when faced with the question, they'll loosely concur that it happens, but never condone it and evade the reality of how common it probably is.

Thanks to everyone, except Krip

xxx

Full Definition of SARCASM

1: a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain

What you're missing is the sharp part. You're posts are the opposite of sharp...they're dull.

Much like this thread...much like you.

Just because you are from England, home of John Cleese, Eric Idle and Rowan Atkinson, does not mean you are automatically funny, or even remotely humorous. You're not.

Please reply to this because I'm bored and you're somewhat entertaining, in a laughing at you not with you kind of way.

This thread is absolutely brilliant. A bunch of jumpers (or should I say ex-jumpers as it seems) who have nothing better to do then be negative on the internet. No wonder why dropzone.com has so many trolls. It's like fish in a damn barrel...you hook one EVERY TIME.

Really, be honest. He wants to make a phone call. Who the hell is he going to hurt if he puts an ounce of planning into it? I am much more afraid of some of the "old-timers" with thousands of jumps who can't fly their canopy worth shit, than this guy making a phone call on a hop and pop. Who cares about his motivation for doing it.

I just have to shake my head and laugh at the nonsense in this thread.

I took a camera my 34th jump and did a H+P at 10k. No one knew I had the camera, and I didn't ask for permission. I pulled my camera out of my jumpsuit, I took a bunch of pictures, did a selfie or two before it was called a selfie, and went on with my jump. Guess how many other jumpers I kiledl? I'll leave that question unanswered because you all know the answer.

To the OP: Here's what you should do. Stop posting about this on dz.com. Go to your dropzone, tell them you'd like to try something and ask for their help to plan out some of the safety aspects of the jump. They'll either say no flat out, or they'll do like any real instructor would and help you do it safely. Done! Easy!
"When once you have tasted flight..."

propblast

Neox

When you are the only one that "gets" your irony. Perhaps the receivers aren't the one with the issues......

You definitely don't seem to be getting it.

Your just jealous because I got a personal shout out from the wanker Neox. :D
One Jump Wonder

Trafficdiver

Full Definition of SARCASM

1: a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain

What you're missing is the sharp part. You're posts are the opposite of sharp...they're dull.

Much like this thread...much like you.

Just because you are from England, home of John Cleese, Eric Idle and Rowan Atkinson, does not mean you are automatically funny, or even remotely humorous. You're not.

Please reply to this because I'm bored and you're somewhat entertaining, in a laughing at you not with you kind of way.

With retorts/comebacks like that, I reckon Trafficdiver is like the embarrassing uncle you see at wedding receptions, throwing shapes on the dance floor to 80s music. And tries to be down with the kids in his street but they just see him as some sort of local weirdo.

Chris-Ottawa

This thread is absolutely brilliant. A bunch of jumpers (or should I say ex-jumpers as it seems) who have nothing better to do then be negative on the internet. No wonder why dropzone.com has so many trolls. It's like fish in a damn barrel...you hook one EVERY TIME.

Agreed. It's just too easy with these "regulars". But, I think what caused this thread to become so ridiculous with a whole host of nonsense answers where the repliers just had to say something when faced with the question, no matter how silly they sounded, was because my question was actually Jimmy Kimmel's Confusing Question of the Day. In fact, are any of the stars of these clips members on this forum?...
http://youtu.be/5P31VRPfkRc
http://youtu.be/1ZwKfG-I1-A
http://youtu.be/-ueOtQdVe3Q
http://youtu.be/WcaiM2Uywac

Only in America, ey ;) Bless your little American cotton socks.