NeoX

When is it OK to make/receive phone calls during a skydive?

Trafficdiver

#kidsthesedays

We're almost the same age :P

rifleman

Just a quick question - Given that most hands free earpieces require you to push a button on the headset to connect the call, how the hell are you going to do that through your helmet?

The key word is 'most'.

Deimian

But I guess you consider yourself in the minority and not narcissistic? (a major trait of some types of narcissist is that they don't believe they are narcissistic.)

Nope. I am as narcissistic as many others, I am part of the majority. I am just less narcissistic than you. For me (and for the majority) it is enough to share one video from time to time on Facebook or similar. I don't need to call somebody midflight to make sure that they are aware that I am the coolest kid on the block. Among many other things (like considering more important taking care of that planet coming at me than a phone call) because I am not. And neither are you.
That was a really insecure and narcissistic reply. Good work!

raftman

I'd still like to know what phone call is soooooo important that it can't wait the few minutes to get back in the hangar?

I'm Batman.

billvon

... I know some very good skydivers and some very bad skydivers. Almost as a rule, they all think of themselves as good skydivers.
There is a phase that most skydivers go through that we call "100 jump wonder" phase. During this time they think they know everything, and have very strong opinions on what's right and what's wrong.

Hmm. I don't know anyone like any of the above. All the novice skydivers I've met (quite a lot across several DZs) are quite humble and recognize their low skill levels. But then, this is the BPA (British) not USPA (Americans).

NWFlyer

He's already bored enough to want to take selfies/FaceTime with his buds. If he makes it to 200 jumps without moving onto the next shiny thing I'll be surprised. :D

How many posts about boredom are you going to post? No one has mentioned anything about being bored apart from you.

diablopilot

How the fuck is this even a question? Why do I have to share the sky with asshats who do shit like this? Take up juggling. With live hand grenades.

Thankfully, we don't, as you're at the other side of the Atlantic to me. But I get your point. Rather than speak to someone under canopy with a hands-free headset (even though my visual focus is still on the skydive), I should probably do something much safer such as BASE jumping off a cliff, doing a rodeo skydive with someone filming it, or even something as safe as this! All those things are apparently permitted, but a quick hands-free phone call at 4000ft under canopy is like inviting death in! Think you old-timers just have an issue with mobile phones to be honest.
He's doing his Superman thing.

... Think you old-timers just have an issue with mobile phones to be honest.

.................................................................................
Careful how you phrase that ... you young whipper-snapper!
Back when I started jumping, mobile phones were so so expensive that only emergency room surgeons could afford them. Mobile phones were so heavy that surgeons hired porters to carry their phones. If they wanted an entire day's worth of batteries, they had to hire the toughest of paratroopers to carry the batteries.

Remember that in paratrooper-land, only sissies jump with 100 pound rucksacks.

Trafficdiver

We're almost the same age

And you want to take a selfie....I guess that proves age is just a number.:S

^this - yet another example of when Americans don't get irony/sarcasm.

No...we get irony and sarcasm just fine. You are poor at both. Don't blame that on my country.
But you didn't get the 'selfie' sarcasm, and you don't get the irony in your last post. You're kinda proving my point here! And if you get irony and sarcasm just fine, why does the world believe you don't and you - an American - believe you do? Don't you see the irony in that? Oh wait, of course you don't :D

NeoX

We're almost the same age

And you want to take a selfie....I guess that proves age is just a number.:S

^this - yet another example of when Americans don't get irony/sarcasm.

No...we get irony and sarcasm just fine. You are poor at both. Don't blame that on my country.
But you didn't get the 'selfie' sarcasm, and you don't get the irony in your last post. You're kinda proving my point here! And if you get irony and sarcasm just fine, why does the world believe you don't and you - an American - believe you do? Don't you see the irony in that? Oh wait, of course you don't :D

There is no selfie sarcasm to get. You made a moronic thread and are not bright enough to understand that. There is not any irony or sarcasm involved in your posts. You are a neophyte who believes the whole world has some sort of collective opinion on Americans ability to perceive and understand both of these concepts and yet have no idea how to harnass the most basic level of either one yourself to test said theory.

You, sir, are a fraud.

NeoX

Thanks for all the replies so far. Seems quite divisive, especially judging from the poll results!

However, I really don't see what is so unsafe about using a phone with a Bluetooth hands-free headset. Can someone explain what the actual danger of doing this is in black and white?

PS: If you're someone who performs a physical task less well if having a conversation with someone (e.g., you crashed your car once when your passenger spoke to you, or you chopped your arms off while chopping down a tree when your wife brought a cup of coffee out), then please don't answer.

If this isn't a joke it outta be. Tell ya what--next time you're in the sack doing the horizontal mambo make a call and see what happens.

Honest to god--are you for real? Do you take your life and the lives of others in the sky around you so for granted? If you were jumping at my DZ I'd ground you permanently.

Blue tooth schmoo tooth--you're under that canopy and you are supposed to be paying 110% attention to it--to others in the sky and where you're going--not to mention where you're going to land and when. If you're texting, yakking or taking a stupid selfie you're not paying enough attention and you're a goddam hazard.

Just when I think I can't be surprised at anything any more some numbnuts comes along and does it. There is an ancient Polish proverb--it translates poorly but----"One fool can keep a thousand wise men very busy."

Go bowling or play tennis, golf, camping, water polo--anything else. I don't want you in the same sky with me.

> Rather than speak to someone under canopy with a hands-free headset (even
>though my visual focus is still on the skydive), I should probably do something
>much safer such as BASE jumping off a cliff, doing a rodeo skydive with someone
>filming it, or even something as safe as this! All those things are apparently
>permitted . . . .

BASE is not permitted at any DZ I have ever been at, both because they are illegal from aircraft and because they are very high risk. The BASE jumps I have done have been off objects quite far from DZ's. You may choose to do BASE someday. If you do hopefully you'll learn from someone talented and take it a bit more seriously than you do skydiving.

Although come to think of it, if you are going to make phone calls under canopy, do it during your BASE jumps. Think how much cooler it will be to have your friends get a call from you during a BASE jump! They will think you are totally badass. (And more importantly you won't hurt anyone else due to a lack of attention.)

>but a quick hands-free phone call at 4000ft under canopy is like inviting death in!

Not at all. What will kill you (or more to the point someone you are jumping with) is the attitude that a "quick hands-free phone call" is no big deal.

>Think you old-timers just have an issue with mobile phones to be honest.

I was one of the people who developed the mobile phone technology you use now (assuming you are using a less-than-5 year old phone.) So not really.

Trafficdiver

There is no selfie sarcasm to get. You made a moronic thread and are not bright enough to understand that. There is not any irony or sarcasm involved in your posts. You are a neophyte who believes the whole world has some sort of collective opinion on Americans ability to perceive and understand both of these concepts and yet have no idea how to harnass the most basic level of either one yourself to test said theory.

The thing is, some of my posts have been very sarcastic or ironic (obviously I know that because I wrote them), so you're not really in a position to tell someone else they're not being sarcastic when only they can know if they're being sarcastic. To think you can is rather ironic in itself, especially as it proves all the more that you don't get sarcasm or irony.

billvon

>though my visual focus is still on the skydive), I should probably do something
>much safer such as BASE jumping off a cliff, doing a rodeo skydive with someone
>permitted . . . .

BASE is not permitted at any DZ I have ever been at, both because they are illegal from aircraft and because they are very high risk. The BASE jumps I have done have been off objects quite far from DZ's. You may choose to do BASE someday. If you do hopefully you'll learn from someone talented and take it a bit more seriously than you do skydiving.

Although come to think of it, if you are going to make phone calls under canopy, do it during your BASE jumps. Think how much cooler it will be to have your friends get a call from you during a BASE jump! They will think you are totally badass. (And more importantly you won't hurt anyone else due to a lack of attention.)

1) I doubt I'll ever do BASE because I don't like to take risks.
2) You're right about one thing - I don't take skydiving seriously at all unlike most of the repliers on this thread. Skydiving is meant to be fun and I've ended up in an argument on here with a bunch of uptight protective egotists with too much to say and are probably part of the "superior" 1000+ jump clique on DZs that like to exclude the novices. What I do take seriously, though, is skydiving safety, hence why I posted this topic. But not skydiving itself. I do skydiving for fun, not for seriousness.
3) *clap clap* You're American and can do sarcasm. I'm impressed.

billvon

>but a quick hands-free phone call at 4000ft under canopy is like inviting death in!

Not at all. What will kill you (or more to the point someone you are jumping with) is the attitude that a "quick hands-free phone call" is no big deal.

Good I don't have that attitude and posted this topic then, ey? ;)

billvon

>Think you old-timers just have an issue with mobile phones to be honest.

I was one of the people who developed the mobile phone technology you use now (assuming you are using a less-than-5 year old phone.) So not really.

You should know "your enemy" before making such statements. I was also one of the people who developed the mobile phone technology you use now having worked in telecoms for the largest mobile handset manufacturer in the world (plus other mobile tech firms) from 2001 and probably know a lot more than you. If you can quote the WCDMA stack (PHY, MAC, RLC) and can read GSM packets at bit-level and know the 3GPP spec like the back of your hand, as well as know and understand electromagnetic theory and formulas to a level where you can apply Gauss's Law to improving the performance of an internal mobile antenna (I was taught at university by the inventor of the ubiquitous internal mobile antenna), and wrote software for Agilent base station emulators for LTE development by Samsung, Motorola, Nokia et al (4G in layman terms), then feel free to make such statements. Otherwise, don't make assumptions about people you don't know as that can often lead to embarrassing situations. #justsaying

mcstain

Jesus dude just shut up. Nobody cares about your advanced powers of sarcasm and irony, or your extensive knowledge of the mobile industry.

LOL - why are you (and others) replying then? That's ironic! :P

NeoX

***Jesus dude just shut up. Nobody cares about your advanced powers of sarcasm and irony, or your extensive knowledge of the mobile industry.

LOL - why are you (and others) replying then? That's ironic! :P

Because your superior and everyone else is a fool.

Including a 100 jump wonder that isn't as wise as you, and actually tries what you sarcastically proposed.

This thread has the potential of getting some peeps killed. Just because you wanted to stir up the shit pot, to give your ego a boost. [:/]

Boobies
One Jump Wonder

I think we were hoping that you would review your poll results and realize that of 233 votes, only 6 responded with "Only with a hands-free Bluetooth headset." Or, that you might have listened to the number of talented, well-respected and educated opinions that are opposed to such an activity.

Then, perhaps you'd say something like, "Thank you for your input, time and opinions. Based on your feedback, I've decided to carry my phone in my suit pocket only for emergencies" - as the poll results weight heavily on that response.

There have been many like you before. Those who would run around the DZ asking questions about downsizing too soon and when they don't get the answer they want; continue to go around the DZ until they get close to the answer they wanted and then do what they set out to do anyway. We've all seen it before, only now, it's on the DZ of cyberspace, so one can get thousands of opinions until they get the one they want.

You know the number of people like you that have done this only to wind up dead. No one was surprised. No one grieved. We knew it was coming. Not a matter of "if," just a matter of, "when." I had a close personal friend who decided he could learn swooping all on his own. I counseled him on more than one occasion. Four months later, he piled in. Left behind a 4 month old son.

You never came on here with the intention of getting opinions to make an informed decision. You're going to do what you want. I'll not reply anymore, so as not to inconvenience you with information & experience. Try not to take someone else out with you.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

cpoxon

Roughly translated......too stupid to know how stupid you are.
Also a classic symptom of narcissistic sociopathy. Also roughly translated as .......everyone else is fucked up but me. With skydiving, scuba diving or just about any other so-called "extreme" sport these two condtions tend to prove Darwin to be right.

This thread is retarded.

In the air you should be concentrating on flying - It's that simple. Knowledge of how phones work makes not one fucking iota of difference to your ability to use them without distraction. When you've landed, use the phone all you want.

Too many people have been killed by canopy collisions caused by lack of attention as it is. To add additional risk factors to that is just stupid and arrogant.

NeoX

***There is no selfie sarcasm to get. You made a moronic thread and are not bright enough to understand that. There is not any irony or sarcasm involved in your posts. You are a neophyte who believes the whole world has some sort of collective opinion on Americans ability to perceive and understand both of these concepts and yet have no idea how to harnass the most basic level of either one yourself to test said theory.

The thing is, some of my posts have been very sarcastic or ironic (obviously I know that because I wrote them), so you're not really in a position to tell someone else they're not being sarcastic when only they can know if they're being sarcastic. To think you can is rather ironic in itself, especially as it proves all the more that you don't get sarcasm or irony.

billvon

>permitted . . . .

1) I doubt I'll ever do BASE because I don't like to take risks.
2) You're right about one thing - I don't take skydiving seriously at all unlike most of the repliers on this thread. Skydiving is meant to be fun and I've ended up in an argument on here with a bunch of uptight protective egotists with too much to say and are probably part of the "superior" 1000+ jump clique on DZs that like to exclude the novices. What I do take seriously, though, is skydiving safety, hence why I posted this topic.But not skydiving itself. I do skydiving for fun, not for seriousness.
3) *clap clap* You're American and can do sarcasm. I'm impressed.

Are you fucking serious? You don't take risks but you'll make a phone call during a skydive? Jesus, stay across the pond...[:/]