Kalrigan

First ever boogie coming up, pretty nervous.

oldwomanc6

Can someone give tips to keep gear and personal belongings safe when on the ground.

Sad to have to bring this up; it didn't used to be a concern, but there have been enough threads in the last few years to say it is, now. :(

That's a good question actually. I was thinking maybe I'll leave all my shit in our car or something. I don't know. >_

oldwomanc6

Can someone give tips to keep gear and personal belongings safe when on the ground.

Sad to have to bring this up; it didn't used to be a concern, but there have been enough threads in the last few years to say it is, now. :(

You could use a locked luggage carrier and then lock that to some permanent object at the dz.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Kalrigan

That's a good question actually. I was thinking maybe I'll leave all my shit in our car or something. I don't know. >_<

I've actually never seen it done, but if you're worried you could bring a bicycle U-lock and lock your rig to something at the dropzone.

The best security is to be an awesome person and have recognizable gear that people associate with you.

Kalrigan

So I've never been to a boogie, but everything will change this weekend. I'll be going to 3 of them in the next 4 weeks: Maple Bacon Beaver Jumper Boogie in Burnaby Niagara Falls, Summerfest in Chicago, and Dropout in Montreal.

I come from a smaller DZ, so I won't be used to having a million canopies in the air, the most I'm used to is probably 17-18. I have no problem landing far away from the crowd if needed, is there anything else I should prepare for? Psyched and scared at the same time haha.

Unless the boogies have some really big planes or you are doing formation load big-ways, you shouldn't be in the air with many more canopies than you are used to. Even at operations with multiple aircraft running, the sky should only have 1 load at a time under canopy.

As for things to prepare for - everything! You will be at new DZ's jumping with people you don't know. At the home DZ, you typically know who the knuckleheads are and what the bad people combinations are. You won't have that benefit jumping with strangers.

Tips -

Show up prepared. Check and double check your gear and gear bag for everything you will need several days before the trip. Have all your documentation with you. Bring extras like pull up cords, rubber bands, closing loops, etc. Pack a DZ travel bag with stuff like tape, a knife, band-aids, over the counter meds, etc. Always better to have it and not need it. Plus, when someone else needs something you'll be the hero.

If the DZ has procedural info on its website, study it before you go. Get a DZ and aircraft briefing before jumping! Know the DZ layout and procedures just as you should before jumping at any new DZ. Fully understand the dictated flight pattern and landing direction procedures. Plan your outs preliminarily on the ground in case you need them. Get on the first load already having a loose plan "B" that you can work from when everything goes to shit.

Get ready early. Get a gear check. Get another gear check.

Be conservative - keep yourself on small, simple skydives at first, preferably with folks you know if possible. You will have a lot of variables to deal with so don't add to it by making overly challenging jumps.

Self-supervise - at boogies people often let their guard down because they want to get on certain jumps, group, or planes. They fail to check winds or adhere to common sense concerning them. The fail to check out proper procedures for aircraft they have never jumped. They sometimes throw out all logic on best practices, and on and on. Don't be that guy.

Watch out constantly for "that guy". Head on a swivel at all times. Be ready to make evasive maneuvers at every turn. If you identify problem jumpers, stay clear of them.

Know your limits and stay within them. There are often opportunities to get on loads at boogies that may be above your skill set. The people you are with may not know your abilities so you need to be honest about them and be willing to turn down offers you aren't ready for. Others will respect you for it and you won't get hurt or be "that guy".

Land out if the traffic gets heavy or on every jump if it keeps you in a comfort zone. A long walk back to the hangar is always better than a ride to the emergency room.

Know that there will likely be some real screwballs around. Some are dangerous in the air, some on the ground at beer-thirty, and some that are both. Keep yourself safe and go home with a great "first" under your belt.

One more thing. Buy your beer. Everyone's 2 favorite brands are free and cold.

Have fun!
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

chuckakers

***So I've never been to a boogie, but everything will change this weekend. I'll be going to 3 of them in the next 4 weeks: Maple Bacon Beaver Jumper Boogie in Burnaby Niagara Falls, Summerfest in Chicago, and Dropout in Montreal.

I come from a smaller DZ, so I won't be used to having a million canopies in the air, the most I'm used to is probably 17-18. I have no problem landing far away from the crowd if needed, is there anything else I should prepare for? Psyched and scared at the same time haha.

Unless the boogies have some really big planes or you are doing formation load big-ways, you shouldn't be in the air with many more canopies than you are used to. Even at operations with multiple aircraft running, the sky should only have 1 load at a time under canopy.

As for things to prepare for - everything! You will be at new DZ's jumping with people you don't know. At the home DZ, you typically know who the knuckleheads are and what the bad people combinations are. You won't have that benefit jumping with strangers.

Tips -

Show up prepared. Check and double check your gear and gear bag for everything you will need several days before the trip. Have all your documentation with you. Bring extras like pull up cords, rubber bands, closing loops, etc. Pack a DZ travel bag with stuff like tape, a knife, band-aids, over the counter meds, etc. Always better to have it and not need it. Plus, when someone else needs something you'll be the hero.

If the DZ has procedural info on its website, study it before you go. Get a DZ and aircraft briefing before jumping! Know the DZ layout and procedures just as you should before jumping at any new DZ. Fully understand the dictated flight pattern and landing direction procedures. Plan your outs preliminarily on the ground in case you need them. Get on the first load already having a loose plan "B" that you can work from when everything goes to shit.

Get ready early. Get a gear check. Get another gear check.

Be conservative - keep yourself on small, simple skydives at first, preferably with folks you know if possible. You will have a lot of variables to deal with so don't add to it by making overly challenging jumps.

Self-supervise - at boogies people often let their guard down because they want to get on certain jumps, group, or planes. They fail to check winds or adhere to common sense concerning them. The fail to check out proper procedures for aircraft they have never jumped. They sometimes throw out all logic on best practices, and on and on. Don't be that guy.

Watch out constantly for "that guy". Head on a swivel at all times. Be ready to make evasive maneuvers at every turn. If you identify problem jumpers, stay clear of them.

Know your limits and stay within them. There are often opportunities to get on loads at boogies that may be above your skill set. The people you are with may not know your abilities so you need to be honest about them and be willing to turn down offers you aren't ready for. Others will respect you for it and you won't get hurt or be "that guy".

Land out if the traffic gets heavy or on every jump if it keeps you in a comfort zone. A long walk back to the hangar is always better than a ride to the emergency room.

Know that there will likely be some real screwballs around. Some are dangerous in the air, some on the ground at beer-thirty, and some that are both. Keep yourself safe and go home with a great "first" under your belt.

One more thing. Buy your beer. Everyone's 2 favorite brands are free and cold.

Have fun!

That was a very detailed and informative post, thanks so much Chuck. I'll be careful. :)

Chuck has some very good advice.

Summerfest is a blast. I've gone for the past 5 years and will be there this year.

This Thread asked the same question. I typed out a fairly long and detailed answer that I don't feel like doing again. :P
See post #8.

See ya there :)

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

oldwomanc6

When i travel i have luggage locks, kind like these :
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/storage/lockers/locks/master-lock-tsa-accected-luggage-combination-lock?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=Cj0KEQjwxZieBRDegZuj9rzLt_ABEiQASqRd-kUibXtUAKWGi92OO0Q39N5e9XRMVmI8eev36j1ekVQaAl3R8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

For my bag,i find a post or something i can secure my bag using one of these:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/21414?productId=351209&attrValue_0=Black&mr:trackingCode=26B71F97-B0F0-E211-A497-90E2BA285E75&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mkwid=tUFiweUw_dc&pcrid=46031022320&qs=3091386_google

That way the bag is locked but the zippers are also locked away.

wolfriverjoe

Chuck has some very good advice.

Summerfest is a blast. I've gone for the past 5 years and will be there this year.

This Thread asked the same question. I typed out a fairly long and detailed answer that I don't feel like doing again. :P
See post #8.

See ya there :)

Thanks man. :D

hokierower

Burnaby will be pretty fun this weekend. Listen to everyone on here and show up ready to have fun. See you there.

Yes that's what I'm hoping for. My first ever jump was at Burnaby, I promised I would come back ASAP once I get licensed and get my own gear. Unfortunately this is the first opportunity I've had to go back thanks to work and life in general. Really looking forward to the place, the boogie, the people, and everything else that comes with it. :D

I went to my first boogie in May =)
I stayed from Tuesday-Sunday and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I earned my A license in February, and by May 27th I had 90 jumps. I did close to 30 jumps that week. I got in my first 8 way-12 way. I really love RW for reference.

I too was nervous about canopies in the sky, although the DZ is large, but I kept my eyes and ears open.

It was a BLAST. Tons of beer, Luau, public nudity, etc.. The typical fun I like to have.

-Eyes and ears OPEN
-Watch the experienced, respected jumpers. I took myself off of a load when I saw one particular skydiver do so.

Enjoy!
Skydiver Survivor; Battling Breast Cancer one jump at a time. DX June 19th 2014
I have been jumping since October 5th 2013.
https://pinkribbonskydiver.wordpress.com/

FreefallingCari

I went to my first boogie in May =)
I stayed from Tuesday-Sunday and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I earned my A license in February, and by May 27th I had 90 jumps. I did close to 30 jumps that week. I got in my first 8 way-12 way. I really love RW for reference.

I too was nervous about canopies in the sky, although the DZ is large, but I kept my eyes and ears open.

It was a BLAST. Tons of beer, Luau, public nudity, etc.. The typical fun I like to have.

-Eyes and ears OPEN
-Watch the experienced, respected jumpers. I took myself off of a load when I saw one particular skydiver do so.

Enjoy!

you got me at "public nudity"! :P my kind of boogie!

FreefallingCari

I took myself off of a load when I saw one particular skydiver do so

We have a winner.

(And if you're an experienced jumper thinking about maybe taking yourself off and feeling 50/50 about the whole thing, think about the newer skydiver you might be about to send a useful message to as well.)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Thankfully, my DZ has some awesome mentors and jumpers. We also have a LOT of fun.

We still do Rodriguez initiations at my home DZ, which is where the boogie was.. My Rodriguez name? Nudista Rodriguez
Skydiver Survivor; Battling Breast Cancer one jump at a time. DX June 19th 2014
I have been jumping since October 5th 2013.
https://pinkribbonskydiver.wordpress.com/