2 2
JoeWeber

Christians don’t believe in Democracy

7 minutes ago, jaybird18c said:

In the same post, you began with saying "We each have every right to be offended by what the other says." I agree with this. But then you concluded with saying, regarding my opposing opinions on this subject, that they "should not under any pretext be forced into our lives." That is contradictory.

That makes no sense except to a Christian, I suppose, who might believe that their opinions/religion must be accepted by everyone without any offense taking. 

2 minutes ago, normiss said:

Because you insist on the implication of eternal torture because we don't believe your nonsense.

As I told a preacher that threatened me with eternal torture in a lake of fire "That's ok, I'm a good swimmer."

Absolute nonsense that not a single believer can ever explain, justify, or make sense of. You repeatedly continue to prove that here.

I disagree that it's condescension. But if you feel that way, so be it. I'm not threatening anyone with anything. I'm just saying what God said in his word. But again...if anyone here is offended by that...that's ok too. You don't have the right NOT to be offended. Any participants in any real discussion must take the risk of being offended. 

1 minute ago, jaybird18c said:

I never said any of that.

I do believe we've again reached that delightfully happy moment where the expression of our world views is indistinguishable from simply talking past each other. That, and now I'm bored. Have a great day.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jaybird18c said:

I disagree that it's condescension. But if you feel that way, so be it. I'm not threatening anyone with anything. I'm just saying what God said in his word. But again...if anyone here is offended by that...that's ok too. You don't have the right NOT to be offended. Any participants in any real discussion must take the risk of being offended. 

"You don't have the right NOT to be offended. Any participants in any real discussion must take the risk of being offended. "

I disagree. I've had to not be offended by the insistence of "christians" forcing their beliefs on me, society, and the world and it is their perspective, as you just confirmed, that we MUST listen and tolerate the nonsense. We don't.

Discussing a work of fiction created by man centuries ago and constantly modified isn't a real discussion IMO. it's just silly babble.

Peace

2 minutes ago, normiss said:

"You don't have the right NOT to be offended. Any participants in any real discussion must take the risk of being offended. "

I disagree. I've had to not be offended by the insistence of "christians" forcing their beliefs on me, society, and the world and it is their perspective, as you just confirmed, that we MUST listen and tolerate the nonsense. We don't.

Discussing a work of fiction created by man centuries ago and constantly modified isn't a real discussion IMO. it's just silly babble.

Peace

No one is "forcing" you to agree with or do anything. If you believe, as you say, that you or "we" must not listen to or tolerate contrary opinions, such as those from the position of christianity, then you are resembling a fascist in my opinion. 

21 minutes ago, jaybird18c said:

I disagree that it's condescension. But if you feel that way, so be it. I'm not threatening anyone with anything. I'm just saying what God said in his word. 

Isn't that condescending to any of your fellow Christians who think god said something different?

For instance, that he doesn't hate everyone, that being good is important and stuff like that?

(edited)
3 minutes ago, jakee said:

Isn't that condescending to any of your fellow Christians who think god said something different?

For instance, that he doesn't hate everyone, that being good is important and stuff like that?

No. It's not. It's called disagreement.

Edited by jaybird18c

(edited)
1 hour ago, jaybird18c said:

Is it my fault that you're offended? Circumstances do not dictate your character. They reveal it.

An acquaintance once bemoaned the fact that people with mental illness were not accorded the same sympathy and consideration as, say, cancer patients.

My response was along the lines that the mentally ill are, of course, sick, but they can also be dangerous.  Having them burn down the house, or drive suicidally with passengers aboard, or hang people for witchcraft after getting advice from invisible friends is too close to the norm.

The form of communicable mental illness we call 'religion' is among the most malevolent forms of insanity in existence.  The number of otherwise innocent people butchered in the name of <insert deity> is simply breathtaking.  I rate Communism as a religious grade delusion, so Mao, Stalin and Pol Pot's excesses are in good company.

Reading pretty much anyone's religious text suggests that anyone who takes its contents at face value is batshit crazy.

Cherry picking what parts of a particular holy book one wants to espouse is typical - if a true believer even sees fit to read it.  As an aside, how many times inTorah is heaven, hell or any version of 'the devil' mentioned (hint - it's a round number).

Remember, religion is like genitals.  Fine to have and enjoy with pride, but waving it around in public is generally offensive.

BSBD,

Winsor

BTW, the Applegate Fairbairn is a vast improvement over the V-42

Edited by winsor
speling
  • Like 1

(edited)
42 minutes ago, jaybird18c said:

The "promise of God to the greatest of sinners."

Is it the same thing he promises to the greatest of caring, compassionate and charitable people who happen not to think he exists?

Edited by jakee

(edited)
26 minutes ago, winsor said:

An acquaintance once bemoaned the fact that people with mental illness were not accorded the same sympathy and consideration as, say, cancer patients.

My response was along the lines that the mentally ill are, of course, sick, but they can also be dangerous.  Having them burn down the house, or drive suicidally with passengers aboard, or hang people for witchcraft after getting advice from invisible friends is too close to the norm.

The form of communicable mental illness we call 'religion' is among the most malevolent forms of insanity in existence.  The number of otherwise innocent people butchered in the name of <insert deity> is simply breathtaking.  I rate Communism as a religious grade delusion, so Mao, Stalin and Pol Pot's excesses are in good company.

Reading pretty much anyone's religious text suggests that anyone who takes its contents at face value is batshit crazy.

Cherry picking what parts of a particular holy book one wants to espouse is typical - if a true believer even sees fit to read it.  As an aside, how many times inTorah is heaven, hell or any version of 'the devil' mentioned (hint - it's a round number).

Remember, religion is like genitals.  Fine to have and enjoy with pride, but waving it around in public is generally offensive.

BSBD,

Winsor

BTW, the Applegate Fairbairn is a vast improvement over the V-42

Mine is a Boker replica of the V-42. It was a gift from my team when I retired from the Army.

Edited by jaybird18c

1 hour ago, jaybird18c said:

No one is "forcing" you to agree with or do anything. If you believe, as you say, that you or "we" must not listen to or tolerate contrary opinions, such as those from the position of christianity, then you are resembling a fascist in my opinion. 

Not really, it's always the ok, don't listen to me, but you're going to hell.

While trying to pass christian sharia laws that effect every citizen. There IS  an effort from christianity to force their beliefs on American society.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, normiss said:

Not really, it's always the ok, don't listen to me, but you're going to hell.

While trying to pass christian sharia laws that effect every citizen. There IS  an effort from christianity to force their beliefs on American society.

Show me on this doll where my words hurt you.

I have no idea what you're talking about with "christian sharia laws."

5 hours ago, jaybird18c said:

Hell is not God's form of retribution. It's his justice. In the same way a judge cannot let the convicted murderer go free in the courtroom without being a corrupt judge. There is no malice with God. That would be contrary to his nature.

Also, the believer does not do good in order to gain favor with God. The believer does good because God has changed their nature and they're now willing to reflect his goodness. That's why it's acceptable to him. Out "goodness," if you will, is tainted with other motives. This doesn't mean that the unbeliever can't do what we would consider good things. It doesn't mean that the unbeliever can't be a very moral person, from our perspective. It doesn't mean that the believer and unbeliever alike can't do very bad things. They can! We're human. I have a brother-in-law who has been a lifetime atheist. He is one of the kindest, most charitable people I know.

But good for your wife. She is being a decent human being and doing good things. It's commendable!

Hi 18,

The hell he can't.  And, being corrupt is an opinion, not a statement of fact.

Jerry Baumchen

4 hours ago, jaybird18c said:

I feel the need to write my thought here for the same reason you feel the need to write your thoughts here. It's Speaker's Corner. It's free speech. You're free to not like it and disagree. So do I. I respect your opinion. I don't respect your sometimes unnecessary obnoxious condescention. But that's ok. Free speech. Right? It's a good thing. God Bless America! Your decision to try and account for what you've done before God when you die is your choice.

Here's what's interesting. You're spending all this time arguing against what you say is an imaginary construct.

Well, as far as "unnecessary obnoxious condescension" look in the mirror.

And nobody here is arguing against an 'imaginary construct'. 
We're arguing against someone promoting it.

Unless YOU are imaginary.

And, by the way, you claimed a LOOOOOONG time ago that you had 'a 'preponderance of evidence' that God exists.

Still waiting for it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Well, as far as "unnecessary obnoxious condescension" look in the mirror.

And nobody here is arguing against an 'imaginary construct'. 
We're arguing against someone promoting it.

Unless YOU are imaginary.

And, by the way, you claimed a LOOOOOONG time ago that you had 'a 'preponderance of evidence' that God exists.

Still waiting for it.

I do not mean his with any condescension. That's because I once also did not believe, nor did I want anything to do with this. It interfered with my lifestyle. Sincerely. I am just convinced of a truth and am sharing that truth. No amount of evidence will every be good enough for you. I mean that. I can't convince you. Nothing apart from a supernatural act of God can ever change your mind in this regard. The concise gospel is explained in the very short video I posted earlier. It's the best news you'll ever hear and that's why I offered it.

1 minute ago, jaybird18c said:

I do not mean his with any condescension. That's because I once also did not believe, nor did I want anything to do with this. It interfered with my lifestyle. Sincerely. I am just convinced of a truth and am sharing that truth. No amount of evidence will every be good enough for you. I mean that. I can't convince you. Nothing apart from a supernatural act of God can ever change your mind in this regard. The concise gospel is explained in the very short video I posted earlier. It's the best news you'll ever hear and that's why I offered it.

Wrong.

You are correct that you can't convince me.

But evidence could. 
That 'supernatural act of God' would be very convincing.
God could do that if he wanted to. 
If he actually existed.

The OT is full of miracles, and all sorts of 'evidence'.
However, it's also full of a lot of garbage, stuff that has been pretty much proven that it didn't happen.

And we haven't seen an "according to Hoyle miracle" in a long time.
What, did God go on strike?

The 'concise Gospel' is just a retelling of the same story. One version of the story, and there are thousands. Yet yours is the 'truth'.
No proof, just faith.

And I honestly don't have a problem with that.

What I have a problem with is people who claim to have 'evidence', yet when asked REPEATEDLY to provide it, fail to do so.
While also failing to retract the claim.

You don't admit that there's no evidence. You just claim 'no amount of evidence would be good enough'. 

The threats of 'eternal damnation' are also rather tiresome.
Again, you want to believe it, go ahead.

But don't imply that my not believing in your fairy tales will have any lasting effect.

9 minutes ago, jaybird18c said:

Hi 18,

Then why has everything that you have posted here been an attempt to convince us?

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1