stratostar

Casa Grande Part 16 formal complaint filed

http://www.trivalleycentral.com/casa_grande_dispatch/area_news/city-skydiving-company-in-dispute/article_ba00c1ee-2f8e-11e4-a94a-001a4bcf887a.html

City, skydiving company in dispute

By SHANE DALE Casa Grande Dispatch | Posted: Friday, August 29, 2014 8:11 am

Phoenix Area Skydiving owner Luther Kurtz has filed an economic discrimination complaint with the Federal Aviation Administration against the city of Casa Grande and the Casa Grande Municipal Airport after his request to set up a parachute landing zone at the airport was rejected.

Kurtz has run the commercial skydiving operation in Pinal County for eight years, setting up parachute landing zones in remote areas near Casa Grande while renting an office at the airport.

When Kurtz wanted to move his company’s landing zone to the airport last year — a move that he said the FAA supports — it initially appeared the request would be approved, but he ran into some last-minute difficulties.

“Everything seemed to be going fine, but at the last couple of days, everybody kind of came out of the woodwork to complain about it, so we had no opportunity to resolve or mitigate any of the issues that people said might arise,” he said.

“Now they’re saying that we have to get a special-use permit, and even up to six months ago, I was told that a special-use permit wasn’t required.”

Also last year, Kurtz said the city asked Phoenix Area Skydiving to vacate its airport office for renovation purposes and it wrote a letter to the Pinal County Board of Supervisors asking them to shut down Kurtz’s operations in the county altogether.

“The county has decided it doesn’t want parachuting where we’ve been landing for the last eight years. So now, both the city and the county are essentially trying to close us down,” he said.

Casa Grande Municipal Airport Manager Richard Wilkie said the city’s objections to Phoenix Area Skydiving are on safety and economic grounds.

“Primarily, it’s a skydiver operation, which in itself, even with all the modern technology, is a high-risk activity,” he said. “Jumping at the airport given the amount of traffic we have out there right now — and I’ve been hearing this from multiple pilots and pilot groups — adding that activity to an airport would increase the safety considerations. Mixing those two operations could potentially be hazardous.

“Pilots are basically policing themselves, and everybody’s communicating via the telecom. There’s no tower saying, ‘You’re getting too close,’ It’s uncontrolled air space.”

On the economic side, Wilkie said Phoenix Area Skydiving could potentially drive away business from Casa Grande.

“We’ve heard from a number of groups that said if (we allow a skydiving operation), there’s a possibility they won’t be flying in there as often,” he said. “Fuel is our main revenue generator, and we’re making enhancements at the airport. We’re renovating the terminal. We’re moving forward with more aggressive marketing campaigns about telling people to come to Casa Grande.”

On that point, Kurtz said Phoenix Area Skydiving has been a financial boon to the airport, noting that it attracts an average of 2,000 non-Casa Grande residents each year, including 3,200 in 2013.

“We buy gas. We bring thousands of people into Casa Grande every year from Phoenix and Tucson who stay in hotels,” he said. “Our goal is to be a benefit to the airport.”

But Wilkie said the revenue that the skydiving firm generates is a drop in the bucket compared to what others bring in — and what global wholesale distributor PhoenixMart, which is set to open in Casa Grande in the next year, could add.

Wilkie added that Phoenix Area Skydiving is “owned by an out-of-state person who employs very few people.” Kurtz is based in Michigan.

“(Kurtz) indicates they purchased $40,000 of fuel last year. To refuel one jet, that takes care of his entire fuel operation for a month,” he said. “We’re trying to recruit more traffic like that because that’s huge for revenue purposes.

“From a business standpoint, (Phoenix Area Skydiving) could hurt our ability to take full advantage of our position. As a city itself, we’re getting more and more corporate interest and could see 50-plus more jets a month (because of PhoenixMart). If we have that (landing zone), that might discourage them enough that they might just go down the road.”

In a recent meeting, Kurtz said Wilkie remained open to allowing Phoenix Area Skydiving to set up an airport-based landing zone if the FAA recommended doing so. “We both promised to keep a positive tone to our communications, and the meeting ended well,” he said.

But Wilkie said the only condition in which the airport would agree to that is if the FAA required it, since the FAA is the arbiter of grant funds that the city needs in order to maintain airport operations.

“That is the only time that we would allow it because the FAA holds the purse strings,” he said. “I think that we have a solid enough argument ... that I would hope the Federal Aviation group would make that determination in our favor.

“That operation will not enhance our airport operations. It will not help us basically achieve our full potential as an airport. This company, they employ a few people, and jobs are good, but it’s an out-of-state company, and from the taxpayers’ point of view, we have to make the best decisions for a taxpayer-funded operation.”

Kurtz reaffirmed that Phoenix Area Skydiving is seeking a “mutually beneficial relationship” with the airport and wants a chance to prove that it can be a valued community asset.

“It’s our hope that we can continue to be a good tenant at the airport. We’ve rented an office at the airport for the last eight years, so we would like to continue that,” he said. “Our hope is that the FAA will convince them that this is a good idea.”

But unless the FAA forces its hand, Wilkie said airport officials will continue to stand their ground for safety and financial reasons.

“You take the safety concern, which is a reality — I know Mr. Kurtz thinks it’s not — but there’s no guarantee that something’s not going to happen, and once you establish a landing zone, (everyone) can use it,” he said.

“You only have two chances to make a first impression — you either drive into Casa Grande or you fly into it. These people that have private jets and planes are business people. It’s another chance for us to introduce them into the business community to maybe start a business in Casa Grande.”

Reach Casa Grande Dispatch Reporter Shane Dale at 423-8619 or [email protected].
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

These people that have private jets and planes are business people. It’s another chance for us to introduce them into the business community to maybe start a business in Casa Grande.”

OK. Let's chase a current successful business that is owned by an out of towner away, so we can attract more out of towners to MAYBE start a business in Casa Grande.

Wilkie added that Phoenix Area Skydiving is “owned by an out-of-state person ...."

...........................................................................................

Part of the NIMBY excuse ....
Sounds like a smart businessman working the Michigan market during the summer and the Arizona market during summer.
Is Arizona upset that he is not paying all his taxes in Arizona?
What is the difference between Arizona and Michigan state taxes?

grimmie

Ok, I have visited the web site, www.phoenixmart.com read quite a bit of it, watched some videos. (A giant permanent trade-show of sorts?) (I didn't find out who is spending all the money to develop it.)

Someone kick me if they think I am being too negative, but does anyone really think this is going to fly? (Pun perhaps intended.) And is it worth a big fight trying to keep a thriving business (a DZ) off the airport?

Mentioned in PhoenixMart is even a "resort". Perhaps a skydive available at the nearby airport might be one of the amenities of the resort?

This is going to be fun to follow.

What a joke! Casa Grande is a little shit hole of a place with very little redeeming qualities at all. This whole idea sounds like a Ponzi scheme to me and if these idiots are stupid enuff to get involved, let 'em. There's already an abandoned outlet mall next to I-10. Right across from the abandoned furniture warehouse. Which isn't too far from the abandoned housing project with streets and utilities in the ground. A sucker is born everyday......

baronn

There's already an abandoned outlet mall next to I-10. Right across from the abandoned furniture warehouse.

Wow, so there are 2 places that they can obtain inexpensively to try out the concept before going big? It is interesting how people have such grand plans. But again, somebody kick me if I am being too negative.

Now that I've had a chance to think about it further, (RW Hall of Fame) at the Gulch......it could be turned into a development to bring money into the community from questionable characters.

Some of the anchor businesses:
"The You Fly and Die Mortuary"
A Hearst auto dealership "trade-in's welcome
Custom body bag manufacturer...."order yours in advance"
Mary Jane's dispensary (legally permitted of course)
"Ma's Pill Shop" (also legally permitted)
The newly renovated "Airport Bar" conveniently located in "Crater Park"

peek

Ok, I have visited the web site, www.phoenixmart.com read quite a bit of it, watched some videos. (A giant permanent trade-show of sorts?) (I didn't find out who is spending all the money to develop it.)

Someone kick me if they think I am being too negative, but does anyone really think this is going to fly? (Pun perhaps intended.) And is it worth a big fight trying to keep a thriving business (a DZ) off the airport?

Mentioned in PhoenixMart is even a "resort". Perhaps a skydive available at the nearby airport might be one of the amenities of the resort?

This is going to be fun to follow.

As a former multi-location retail owner, no that shit isnt going to fly. Manufacturers arent going to pay to build out and staff a full time product demonstration location when 2-3 weeks per year of trade shows, at a fraction of the cost, will accomplish the same thing.

As an outdoor retailer in the paddle sports market, we traveled once a year to the Outdoor Retailer show in Salt Lake City, UT and the EORA (Eastern Outdoor Reps Association) show in SC. And that would cover our buying and ordering needs for the coming year.

Like you said a sucker is born every minute.

riggerrob

What is PhoenixMart?

http://phoenixmart.com/

"We are one of the largest single level trade centers in the U.S. spanning nearly three American football fields wide and nearly six football fields long. This 585-acre master-planned community including a 1.6-million-square-foot, multi-functional products center and 4-million-square-feet of support facilities is excited to welcome tenants and customers from North America and beyond.

At PhoenixMart, our goal is to connect thousands of North American manufacturers and distributors with domestic and global buyers. With the widest selection of industries and products available in one location, visitors and tenants are guaranteed to find quality products at competitive prices."

I don't know what in the heck that has to do with the airport...

baronn

What a joke! Casa Grande is a little shit hole of a place with very little redeeming qualities at all. This whole idea sounds like a Ponzi scheme to me and if these idiots are stupid enuff to get involved, let 'em. There's already an abandoned outlet mall next to I-10. Right across from the abandoned furniture warehouse. Which isn't too far from the abandoned housing project with streets and utilities in the ground. A sucker is born everyday......

Nail. Head. Hit

At least in 5 years time the homelless people will have shelter over their heads.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I live in Arizona and up until about four months ago I lived three miles away from the Casa Grande airport. It is NOT a busy airport and there is NO REASON those guys shouldn't be able to land their tandems right there on the airport. It's a Cessna/Handycam tandem operation and true, there are only a few guys working there, but they stay busy enough to feed themselves.

If I were those guys and could not get permission to land on the airport the only thing I would change is I'd quit landing out near the interstate and get permission to land right behind the Airport Tavern which sits on the site of the old, original airport three miles down the road towards town.

PS: CG is not that bad a place to live. Plenty of shady biker bars, restaurants, and places to shop. Definitely better than living in Eloy or Arizona City if you work at Coolidge or SDAZ!

Chuck

I learned to fly many years ago at what is now Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport. Casa Grande was never on the cool list of places to go, but there were a ton of photos of airplanes descending into the open pit mine five miles from the airport and doing a steep turn inside the hole.

It seems like any real traffic in that area is training from the Phoenix area, and not likely to buy gas anyway. They are also more likely to use the FM navigation station for practice instrument approaches than to touch the runway.

My home dropzone airport recently formed an Airport Advisory Board and want the dropzone and gliders gone. They are tired of people "coming down from the big city and taking over their airport". They are also concerned about the safety of gliding and skydiving, and have appointed the one guy who just got his private certificate to assess the risk and report it to the board. We went to the first board meeting with a couple of the glider folks and explained what percentage of fuel sales and airport operations we produce.

Now they hate us, but won't say anything anymore because they need the money.

What?
Co-operating with gliders to maintain airport access?
What?
Quoting accurate, local numbers about a gas purchases?
Next thing we know you will co-operate with a flying club or aerobatic pilots or kitplane builders or HEAVEN FORBID warbird owners!
What is this world coming to with sport flyers co-operating?

skyjumpenfool

Now they hate us, but won't say anything anymore because they need the money.

Seems like now would be a good time to work on ways of getting them to NOT hate you. It may pay off big time in the future. :)
We have been trying for several years. Prior to formation of the airport board we had a wonderful relationship with the airport manager. We all try to help out with things at the airport and ask if there's anything that we can do to make things better, help other tenants (move aircraft in and out of hangars) and most recently assisted in marshalling aircraft during a fly-in.

Sometimes skydivers are our own worst enemy in terms of attitude but that isn't the case here, more of a bad attitude coming from the airport board.

There are other issues here. A plane crash Their Staff failing piss test then being rehired (everyone except the Pilot failed). Operating un airworthy aircraft in-spite of complete knowledge of the mechanical failures.. Just to name a few issues..

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421