Sasan

Hanging out at the Drop Zone

Hey all, I'm new to skydiving, check out my post in the greetings forum:P

Anyways, I wanted to know how normal it is to hang out at a drop zone?
I want to get my AFF out of the way before I ship out to boot camp, but money is the only thing that is holding me back, go figurexD
But I want to hang out at the local drop zone whenever I'm not working, perhaps learn from the old timers, get used to packing, learn more about gear, hear the "no shit there I was" stories, and the like:P
For reference, I'm talking about Triangle Skydive Center near Raleigh, NC:o
Anyways, thank you all,
and Blues!

Sasan

it most definitely used to be the norm and still is it some dz's but the vibe is different at different drop zones. when I started at the club at Fort Campbell in the eighties I moved out of the barracks every Friday night and moved into the clubhouse until Sunday eveningB|

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Sasan

Hey all, I'm new to skydiving, check out my post in the greetings forum:P

Anyways, I wanted to know how normal it is to hang out at a drop zone?
I want to get my AFF out of the way before I ship out to boot camp, but money is the only thing that is holding me back, go figurexD
But I want to hang out at the local drop zone whenever I'm not working, perhaps learn from the old timers, get used to packing, learn more about gear, hear the "no shit there I was" stories, and the like:P
For reference, I'm talking about Triangle Skydive Center near Raleigh, NC:o
Anyways, thank you all,
and Blues!

Sasan

When you are young, military, or just out, no steady girlfriend, kids, mortgage payments, pets, alimony, etc..,etc. enjoy those times for all they are worth. It may be awhile before you get back to that mindset...if ever.
Some one I'm sure will say this before I get posted "bring beer". It's the way to intro yourself and start to fit in. You will be the target for some, and a curiosity for others. Dust off your bullshit meter because that will peg from time to time. Just like the military, and life in general, when your a f-ing "cruit" keep you mouth mostly shut and you will learn quicker an alienate fewer (there's always some that are lost causes). Observe and listen and beer....you will go far. Help out others when you can.
N.C.... was at Bragg for a little while.
Oh that money thing you mentioned.....train up and get a good job and you'll skydive more.

Haha that seems like the life! I hope this DZ is old school!
I'll probably go check it out tomorrow, since its been rainy and gusty the past couple of days

If I ever find a club similar to that, I'll appreciate it for the gem it is!:)

Observe, listen, beer, hell I like skydiving already!:P

I'll try to help out in the future, and I'm hoping to learn to pack so I can ~try~ to make some extra money and learn at the same time. Plus packing == jump tickets, right?:P

My sister just got deployed (navy), her old duty station being lemoore CA, VFA 122. We had to go to JAG on Fort Bragg (no naval station nearby) a couple of days ago for some legal stuff, and I like the area! Saw a lot of Airborne guys, kinda makes me wish I would have sworn into the Army instead:|:P

Sasan

Haha that seems like the life! I hope this DZ is old school!
I'll probably go check it out tomorrow, since its been rainy and gusty the past couple of days

If I ever find a club similar to that, I'll appreciate it for the gem it is!:)

unfortunately and I hate it for the young military guys those clubs do not exist anymore the Army has got rid of all their skydiving clubs when I was at Fort Campbell I used to pay $10 a month club dues for all the helicopter skydives I wanted to make;) good luck finding that deal nowadays
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

:o That's Crazy!! I look forward to making a few helo and hot air balloon jumps, although I'm sure I'll have to hunt for them!
But really!? $10! I was born in the wrong era :(
Were they static line? Or freefall?

I imagine the current economy has a lot to do with a lack of such clubs:|

I have a question for both of you, what was the one thing that you guys were a little bit worried about during your time as a rosy cheeked student?:P
For me, honestly, I think one thing that scares me is spotting, and that I'd be terrible at it and cause people to land off. And of course, being the one responsible for "saving my life." Tandems, you can count on an instructor to save you. AFF I's can dump you out, but I'll have to fly the canopy and deal with mal's. How did yall deal with your apprehensions?

Feel lucky if you get to learn how to spot. Many/most dz's don't even bother to teach it and.if.they do you don't have a chance to practice with the pilot using his gps. Those of.us who learned to spot jumping.round knew the.spot was.a particular tree, not a particular side of.the airport.

And original sabre openings are just.fine.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I want to hang out at the local drop zone whenever I'm not working, perhaps learn from the old timers,

Here's a hint, don't call them old timers to their faces. Mature, experienced, well-versed will all work as adjectives.

And speak up. Those old bastards can't hear for shit.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

flyhi

I want to hang out at the local drop zone whenever I'm not working, perhaps learn from the old timers,

Here's a hint, don't call them old timers to their faces. Mature, experienced, well-versed will all work as adjectives.

And speak up. Those old bastards can't hear for shit.

I guarantee those old bastards can't hear worse than me! :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Will do, and I have nothing but respect for those who helped pioneer our sport^.^
Thank you, and I'll be sure to speak up haha
I have a question actually, do earplugs do much for minimizing the noise in free fall and the ride to altitude?

Sasan

Oh and are Saber 1 openings really ~that~ bad!?!?:D

In general? No. I've got one in my attic... it's there because it's bigger than I mostly want to jump, not because it's going to break me.

At some point it'll come out again.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Spotting is not that hard. It's a learned skill, much like using open sights on a rifle. It's all about sight picture and making a few course corrections. And with square parachutes, spotting is not as critical as it used to be.

But that's all way in the future. See if you can spend some time working with the gear and, best thing, sit in on a few first jump courses. The sooner you start pumping that stuff in your pumpkin, the more it will become natural to you. :)

Just keep your ears open. Listen to what people are talking about so you know what different terms mean. Dont try to out macho anyone, they wont be impressed. If people have gripes or complaints, listen to what they are. If someone messes up, others will talk about it an discuss what they did wrong or why its a problem. Try not to make the same mistakes. You can learn a lot hanging around the DZ, and it will help make your progression faster and cheaper when you start AFF.

Lastly beer always helps, and learn to take a joke. If other skydivers like you, theyre gonna bust your balls.

Well...it all started with a one jump introductory AFF Certificate Christmas present in 2011 and it led to both my wife and I getting our A License.

Between Christmas 2011 and August 2012 when I actually started AFF training, I did visit a DZ or two to get some ideas of how a DZ functions. At best it was a very limited view but something is better than nothing. I say limited simply because there's a distinct difference between being an observer versus being a participant. I did however, did get some insight into the sport as well as the culture I was coming into.

The Skydiving Community is a sub-culture woven into the larger social fabric. This is by no means a criticism. In fact I think and state this as a complete compliment. It's a great community to be a part of. By my observations over the past few years, Skydivers don't think themselves better than WUFFO's (you should learn that term), it's just that there is a common thread I think that skydivers share a common core thread that they thrive at challenges many just don't wish to undertake for various and what seems to them (Wuffo's) as obvious reasons.

But you've picked a great DZ in Triangle Skydiving Center. It's not my home DZ but I've made some jumps there. the DZO and the regular jumpers who consider Triangle their home DZ are a great bunch of people. Just introdvuce yourself, tell them why you're there. I think you'll get a warm welcome and the DZ Staff will be more than helpful to answer your questions. OBTW, Triangle Skydiving is located at the Franklin County Airport in Louisburg, NC about 20 - 30 miles from Raleigh.

More than being ok, hanging at the DZ is encouraged. You can learn a bunch just being exposed to the environment and experienced jumpers.

Also, be sure to introduce your self to DZ management and explain your situation. There are countless odd jobs at most DZ's and you may able to trade some work for jumps!
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX