5 5
Phil1111

Post trump Legal Actions, Including his Enablers

11 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I would be very surprised if ANY of the attorneys representing Trump aren't demanding pay in advance. 
"You give me $100k. When that runs out, you give me more. I'm not doing shit for you if I don't see the money up front."

Maybe the money ran out and Trump didn't pony up more. 

Maybe he just got tired of Trump's shit.

The unhinged rants at the judge. Both the one inside the courtroom, pretending to be 'closing arguments' and the ones outside. Both in person and on social media.

He had asked for ANOTHER delay in the trial. Claiming he had to go to Melania's mom's funeral. The judge refused, partly because he's sick of Trump's stupid games, partly because Trump didn't need to be there for that part of the proceedings.

So, of course, when the day of the funeral that Trump HAD TO BE at, where is he?
Campaigning in New Hampshire.

Judges tend to take a dim view of that sort of behavior. They tend to go after the attorneys, telling them to make sure their client understands and obeys the rules.

Or maybe he just finally decided that Trump wasn't worth the damage to his reputation, his career, his future. 

In any case, Trumpty Dumpty is in deeper shit. Which is fine by me.

Agree with all of the above.

11 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

...Judges tend to take a dim view of that sort of behavior. They tend to go after the attorneys, telling them to make sure their client understands and obeys the rules....

They don't go after the party directly because it could show bias and judges are supposed to stay cool and rule only on the evidence. But they can craft their opinions and obviously their opinions based on that behavior.

Proud Boy Marc Anthony Bru was recently found guilty of five misdemeanor counts and two felony counts of civil disorder and obstruction of an official proceeding.  During the Capitol riot, he attempted to knock down cops using bicycle racks, while telling them they were about to "die for the corporation."

So first thing I noticed is that if a black man attacked a cop and told him he was about to die, the only question about the outcome would be how many times he was shot, and how many times the cop had to reload.

After the verdict the judge asked him if he had anything to say.  He said “You are outside of your jurisdiction.  You have trafficked me and you have committed war crimes against me.”  The judge then admonished him for ignoring the justice system and sentenced him to six years, at which point he said "You can give me a hundred years and I'd do it all over again."

The thing I noticed here was the opposite.  If Trump had said something that, he would have gotten an apology from the judge.

2 minutes ago, billvon said:

Proud Boy Marc Anthony Bru ...

The thing I noticed here was the opposite.  If Trump had said something that, he would have gotten an apology from the judge.

"Many Norwegians rejected on Friday a suggestion by U.S. President Donald Trump that they would be more welcome to move to the United States than immigrants from "shithole countries" such as Haiti or African nations.
The Nordic country, one of the richest in the world by GDP per capita, was last year named the happiest nation on the planet and is known for a cradle-to-grave welfare state"
Norway has just been rocked by a political scandal as well. A Norwegian minister was forced to resign because of.....wait.....plagiarism. The horror, the horror. Meanwhile in the US the ex president calls for SEAL team six and political retribution.

18 minutes ago, billvon said:

After the verdict the judge asked him if he had anything to say.  He said “You are outside of your jurisdiction.  You have trafficked me and you have committed war crimes against me.”  The judge then admonished him for ignoring the justice system and sentenced him to six years, at which point he said "You can give me a hundred years and I'd do it all over again."

If I were the judge, I would have granted his wish.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2024 at 6:22 PM, GeorgiaDon said:

I don't agree with the insinuation that only stupid people support Trump.  I think there are a lot of reasonably smart people who are more concerned about power and inflicting their priorities on the country than they are about democracy or political/legal "norms".  People who see the Handmaid's Tale as aspirational rather than dystopian, such as Michael Johnson.  Or people like Ted Cruz or Steve Bannon, who seem (to me anyway) to seek to take advantage of the chaos Trump creates to enhance their own wealth or power.

that is not a discussion of intelligence, that is a discussion of sociopathy, narcissisms and psychopathic behaviors.  Which are still dangerous and sadly, all too common (IMO) amongst those 'intelligence people'.  Power corrupts and absolutely power corrupts absolutely.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ryoder said:

If only I could believe he has learned anything at all from this.

Peter Navarro Sentenced to 4 Months in Prison

Let's hope at least that Navarro gets a good gnikcufssa in prison which would be reasonable given his complete lack of regard for what he has done nor caring about anything other than the overthrow of the American Constitution.

One thing that Trump is very good at is backstabbing.  Doesn't matter who you are to him - former wife, best friend, closest adviser.  If you ever say anything that is not 100% in support of him, he will throw you under the bus faster than you can say "Rudy who?"

Kayleigh McEnany, Trump's former press secretary, did a lot of lying for him, and has been a huge supporter of his for years.  She's campaigned for him, talked him up on media and written glowing articles about him.

A few days ago on FOX she gave him some advice:

President Trump, (if I were you) I would go home tonight. I go to my victory party. I would celebrate, I made history yet again. But then I'd go home and I'd look under the hood. And when you look under the hood of our Fox News voter analysis data, you find that 32% of Republicans say we won't vote for Trump.

I've got to unite the party. That's the argument Nikki Haley is making. Look, Nikki Haley won independents, according to Fox News voter analysis, 59 to 33. So I go home if I'm Trump, I celebrate, and then I say, ‘I got to unite this party. I got to win independents. That's how I beat Biden.'

Trump's thanks for that good advice?

I don’t need any advice from RINO Kayleigh McEnany on Fox. Just had a GIANT VICTORY over a badly failing candidate, ‘Birdbrain,’ and she’s telling me what I can do better. Save your advice for Nikki!

E. Jean Carroll recently announced her plans for the $83 million she will be getting from Trump - she plans to create a fund for the other 16 or so women who have been sexually assaulted by Donald Trump.  This will be, in her words, "something Donald Trump hates."

It will be fun to see how much ketchup ends up on the walls of Carroll-a-Lago.

On 1/26/2024 at 5:07 PM, SkyDekker said:

And for an appeal I am pretty sure he has to put up a bond for the $83.3 million.

Devin Stone (aka LegalEagle) just released an analysis on Nebula (a subscription service). I'm sure it will appear on Youtube in a few days.

An interesting comment he made was that Trump posted the full cash amount ($5M) in the previous settlement with Carroll, (rather than a bond). That leads him to speculate that Trump can't find a bondsman who will do business with him.

13 hours ago, ryoder said:

Devin Stone (aka LegalEagle) just released an analysis on Nebula (a subscription service). I'm sure it will appear on Youtube in a few days.

An interesting comment he made was that Trump posted the full cash amount ($5M) in the previous settlement with Carroll, (rather than a bond). That leads him to speculate that Trump can't find a bondsman who will do business with him.

And that 5M came out of a transfer of around $55M from Trump Org which the court appointed monitor wasn't told about.

The remaining $50M might be tight to an undisclosed loan between Trump and an LLC without any reported value which is probably being used to avoid paying personal taxes. Which would be illegal.

I will never understand who Republicans have hitched their wagon to a con artist.

13 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

And that 5M came out of a transfer of around $55M from Trump Org which the court appointed monitor wasn't told about.

The remaining $50M might be tight to an undisclosed loan between Trump and an LLC without any reported value which is probably being used to avoid paying personal taxes. Which would be illegal.

I will never understand who Republicans have hitched their wagon to a con artist.

No need to look for a deeper meaning. It’s the three R’s: Religion, Racism, and Riches.

(edited)
26 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Devin Stones analysis. The incompetence of Alina Habba is just stunning!

The quick bit on why both cases happened so close together was quite funny too. 

He got away with it because he was President…. But he couldn’t shut up. So not only did the second lawsuit go ahead, the first one was unfrozen because he’d proven it wasn’t Presidential speech. 

Then he lost the second lawsuit…. But he couldn’t shut up. So now the punitive award is so massive because he’s proven nothing but an extreme punishment will stop him from defaming her again. 

Edited by jakee

1 hour ago, jakee said:

So now the punitive award is so massive because he’s proven nothing but an extreme punishment will stop him from defaming her again. 

Second case, which timeline wise is really the first case, has larger damages because his reach as President was that much greater, and with it the damages for defamation are that much greater.

On 2/1/2024 at 1:21 AM, SkyDekker said:

Second case, which timeline wise is really the first case, has larger damages because his reach as President was that much greater, and with it the damages for defamation are that much greater.

Well, it’s both. That above is actual damages, right? And yes, the actual damages in the just decided case were double the total damages in the other case so for sure that’s happening. But the punitive damages were by far the greatest part of the award, and that’s not directly linked to how much harm was caused - it’s about what punishment is appropriate, and what is the reason for punishment but to stop someone (or others) doing the same thing again?

I think a few of us here have pointed out Trump’s (and now almost the whole Republican Right) tendency to turn any accusation back against the other side. Is he a fascist? The democrats are fascists! Does he want to be a dictator? Joe Biden is a dictator! Is he a racist? The black woman prosecuting him is a racist! Did he commit tax fraud and loan fraud? NYC is fraudulently prosecuting him!

Turns out that this is such a textbook pattern of narcissistic behaviour it actually has its own clinical name, darvo. Denial, attack, reversal of victim and offender - and is most commonly used by, who could have seen this coming, perpetrators of sexual violence and misogynistic abuse.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/feb/01/trump-victim-political-strategy-manipulation

Remember the Steele dossier from way back in 2017?

UK judge dismisses Trump’s lawsuit over dossier containing ‘shocking and scandalous claims’

Orbis said the lawsuit should be thrown out because the report was never meant to be made public and was published by BuzzFeed without the permission of Steele or Orbis. It also said the claim was filed too late.

The judge agreed, concluding Trump had “chosen to allow many years to elapse -– without any attempt to vindicate his reputation in this jurisdiction -– since he was first made aware of the dossier” in January 2017.