5 5
Phil1111

Post trump Legal Actions, Including his Enablers

Hi folks,

Re:  He is subject to the federal criminal laws like more than 330 million other Americans, including Members of Congress, federal judges, and everyday citizens

Trump is not "above the law" and should not receive blanket immunity, DOJ says : NPR

As I read this article & the position taken by the DOJ, it got me to thinking that this might be the first shot across the bow to have the feds go after Trump.  If the judge rules in the DOJ's favor on this petition to the court, that would establish that he is subject to prosecution after he has left office; just like you and I are.

Interesting.

Jerry Baumchen

So Alex Jones is Finding Out another aspect of fucking over the survivors of a mass murder:

Reuters: Alex Jones must pay $1.1 billion of Sandy Hook damages despite bankruptcy - court

Bankruptcy can be used to wipe out debts and legal judgments, but not if they result from "willful or malicious injury" caused by the debtor, according to a decision by U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Christopher Lopez in Houston, Texas.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I'll guess that her testimony won't be 'stand alone'. It will be used to verify the testimony of others,  or have other people testifying to corroborate hers. The prosecution is NOT stupid. 

Also, Trump’s main defence (in the Federal election case too) is ‘advice of counsel’. As in, he believed in good faith that lawyers were telling him to do things that were legal, so he did. So if Powell goes on the stand and is her wacko self - that still helps the prosecution. And Trump’s team will have a very fine line to walk to try and attack her testimony for being unbelievable, dishonest and crazy - because they’ve still gotta convince several juries that Trump did believe her and genuinely thought her knowledge of the law was better than any of the lawyers employed by the White House.

3 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Trump is not "above the law" and should not receive blanket immunity, DOJ says : NPR

As I read this article & the position taken by the DOJ, it got me to thinking that this might be the first shot across the bow to have the feds go after Trump.  If the judge rules in the DOJ's favor on this petition to the court, that would establish that he is subject to prosecution after he has left office; just like you and I are.

Jerry, the Feds are going after Trump. The Mar a Lago classified documents case is a Federal case and he has been indicted by a Federal prosecutor on 40 Federal felony charges. He is a Federal criminal defendant, currently released on licence, with a trial date set in Federal court.

The Jan 6th case is the same - he has been indicted on 4 Federal felony charges with a trial date set. If he breaks his gag order badly enough he could even be recalled to jail before the trial. 

6 hours ago, jakee said:

Also, Trump’s main defence (in the Federal election case too) is ‘advice of counsel’. As in, he believed in good faith that lawyers were telling him to do things that were legal, so he did. So if Powell goes on the stand and is her wacko self - that still helps the prosecution. And Trump’s team will have a very fine line to walk to try and attack her testimony for being unbelievable, dishonest and crazy - because they’ve still gotta convince several juries that Trump did believe her and genuinely thought her knowledge of the law was better than any of the lawyers employed by the White House.

Yup.

One more time, the prosecution is NOT stupid.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

Love it!

Trump bring threatened with jail time for violating the Gag Order.

Couldn't happen to a more treasonous criminal.

I may need to get a nice bottle of celebration whiskey for the day our Justice system protects our democracy by putting Trump's fat orange ass in prison for the rest of his life.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, normiss said:

Trump bring threatened with jail time for violating the Gag Order.

Couldn't happen to a more treasonous criminal.

I may need to get a nice bottle of celebration whiskey for the day our Justice system protects our democracy by putting Trump's fat orange ass in prison for the rest of his life.

Hi Mark,

I may have to buy an airplane ticket & come join you in that effort.  In an earlier life, I once tried to drink an entire jug of booze; could not do it.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  The day we see the orange man in an orange jumpsuit will be a celebration for sanity.

14 hours ago, jakee said:

Jerry, the Feds are going after Trump. The Mar a Lago classified documents case is a Federal case and he has been indicted by a Federal prosecutor on 40 Federal felony charges. He is a Federal criminal defendant, currently released on licence, with a trial date set in Federal court.

The Jan 6th case is the same - he has been indicted on 4 Federal felony charges with a trial date set. If he breaks his gag order badly enough he could even be recalled to jail before the trial. 

Hi jakee,

I am aware of those efforts.  IMO what this latest petition to the court is to, finally, get a ruling that an ex-president is not above the law.  I do not believe that has ever been ruled on by any judge in this country.  I may be wrong about this.

Jerry Baumchen

7 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi jakee,

I am aware of those efforts.  IMO what this latest petition to the court is to, finally, get a ruling that an ex-president is not above the law.  I do not believe that has ever been ruled on by any judge in this country.  I may be wrong about this.

Jerry Baumchen

From the movie Forrest Gump, "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get".

There is no telling how this is going to work out.

35 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

As I continue to say, 'Trump is his own worst enemy.'

A New York judge has fined Donald Trump for violating a gag order in his civil fraud trial.

Judge fines Donald Trump for 'blatant' gag order violation - BBC News

Jerry Baumchen

A paltry $5000.

Add 3+ zeroes onto the end of that, and he might even notice it.

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

A paltry $5000.

Add 3+ zeroes onto the end of that, and he might even notice it.

Hi Robert,

I doubt that the $5,000 is the issue.  I am thinking that the issue is that this is the first step for the judge.  Then, when he gives Trump some time in jail, he can justify it by saying that he gave Trump a chance with the fine.

The first step is always the beginning of the journey.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

Hi folks,

Sometimes the actual truth does come out of the mouth of an attorney:  Mr. Trump’s lead lawyer in Georgia, said that Mr. Chesebro’s guilty plea appeared to be influenced by “the looming threat of prison time.

This is from an article in the NY Times; I hope that this link works:  Kenneth Chesebro, a Trump-Aligned Lawyer, Pleads Guilty in Georgia - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Some things never cease to amaze me.

Jerry Baumchen

22 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

Sometimes the actual truth does come out of the mouth of an attorney:  Mr. Trump’s lead lawyer in Georgia, said that Mr. Chesebro’s guilty plea appeared to be influenced by “the looming threat of prison time.

This is from an article in the NY Times; I hope that this link works:  Kenneth Chesebro, a Trump-Aligned Lawyer, Pleads Guilty in Georgia - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Some things never cease to amaze me.

Jerry Baumchen

Hi Jerry,

One of the interesting things about RICO is how well it provides people willing to make a plea deal.

Originally intended to allow prosecution of the 'boss' who orders crimes but doesn't actually participate, it also allows prosecution of other members of the 'organization', who may not have committed crimes (or major crimes) themselves. There are valid criticisms of the over reach of the law, but it's got the handy ability to put pressure on someone who didn't do much, but is now facing significant time behind bars for being a part of a larger criminal organization.

The truly funny part of THAT is the history of the use of it, particularly in New York, where those RICO laws were used very effectively to greatly reduce the power of the big 5 crime families.
The funny part is who the prosecutor was.

Rudy Giuliani.

(edited)
4 minutes ago, billvon said:

Nov 2020, Trump: "Rudy Giuliani, Joseph DiGenova, Victoria Toensing and Genna Ellis, a Truly Great Team, added to our other lawyers and representatives!"

Yesterday: "MS. POWELL WAS NOT MY ATTORNEY, AND NEVER WAS."

Well, in  that case he can't go bleating about attorney-client privilege when she testifies.

Edited by ryoder
  • Like 1

(edited)
9 hours ago, billvon said:

Nov 2020, Trump: "Rudy Giuliani, Joseph DiGenova, Victoria Toensing, Sidney Powell and Genna Ellis, a Truly Great Team, added to our other lawyers and representatives!"

0.0029% of the lies he's told since he became president in 2016. 

Just rounding error.

Edited by kallend
Edited 'cos I missed some lies.

44 minutes ago, kallend said:

0.0029% of the lies he's told since he became president in 2016. 

Just rounding error.

Scary how quickly in the Trump era this became a genuine defence from his supporters for all kinds of terrible behaviour. “Why are you even talking about that - he does that all the time!”

• Like 1

On 10/20/2023 at 4:07 PM, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi jakee,

Jerry Baumchen

Hi Jerry,

I believe you are correct that 'presidential immunity' has never been formally ruled upon.
Nixon was pardoned, so he was never charged (there's a hell of a debate about the validity of it, but that's "a whole 'nuther" thing).

The main reason it's never been ruled upon is that we've NEVER had a President commit the crimes that Trump did.

Kind of like how there's no prohibition against convicted felons being President. Because, apparently, the founding fathers never realized we'd be stupid enough to elect one.

12 hours ago, billvon said:

Nov 2020, Trump: "Rudy Giuliani, Joseph DiGenova, Victoria Toensing, Sidney Powell and Genna Ellis, a Truly Great Team, added to our other lawyers and representatives!"

Fun fact:
If Powell wasn't Trump's attorney, 'attorney-client privilege' can't be claimed.

So she's free to testify about anything they discussed.

• Like 2