1 1
JoeWeber

Armed, unidentified militia in DC

36 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

That man has a way with words, no?<eyeroll>

Could he possibly have meant that all the attention that is being garnered over Floyd's death will hopefully (Inevitably I hope) lead to something better, and more equal?

It's certainly possible, in the same way that based on what we know of statistical mechanics, all the oxygen molecules in your bedroom could migrate to the end distant from where you sleep and you would suffocate.

48 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I've not said what happened to George wasn't wrong.  We all know it's wrong.  We're talking about fixes and in order to understand how to fix it you must first understand what's wrong.  You won't do that from behind a computer screen. 

I believe that's what these protests are about. To try and get the police and their superiors to understan what they think is wrong.

Do some cops have an attitude?  You bet.  I think they grow tired of risking their lives for those who don't appreciate them. 

Some of them. And some of them are just bad in the first place. But the real problem is how often there seems to be a systemic protection of the ones who go off the reservation, whatever the reason for it was.

16 hours ago, airdvr said:

You're more than free to head on into L.A. and make it right.  I said in another thread that I don't know what the answer is.  I don't know how you change it.  It's easy to point to the problem...much more difficult to offer a solution.

One good start (not a solution) would be to acknowledge that racism is real and pretty widespread.
You asked in a different thread if anyone had heard 'n' word jokes recently.

Do you remember when one of the Obama girls got accepted to Harvard(?)?

The outpouring of racism was both disgusting and revealing.

That sort of behavior has become much more open since Trump gained popularity. To pretend that he isn't a factor in it is disingenious. 

5 hours ago, airdvr said:

I think you need to take a drive into the inner city on a summer Saturday evening and discover the problems cops face doing their job.

So is that problem the 'problem' or the 'result of the problem'?

Are cops treated like shit because they're cops?
Or because the people are tired of being treated like shit BY THE COPS?

43 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I've not said what happened to George wasn't wrong.  We all know it's wrong.  We're talking about fixes and in order to understand how to fix it you must first understand what's wrong.  You won't do that from behind a computer screen.  Do some cops have an attitude?  You bet.  I think they grow tired of risking their lives for those who don't appreciate them.  Do some citizens have an attitude?  You bet.  I think they grow tired of being policed and would much rather be left to their own fates.  How about we try that for a while?

Are you serious?

Have the police leave the citizens to the thugs & gangsters?

After the Freddy Grey killing in Baltimore, there was a very revealing piece on NPR. A citizen told the reporter something along the lines of (paraphrased) 'you have to think really hard before calling the cops. Because around here, the cops often make it worse, not better.'

How about training the cops properly, holding them accountable for their actions and weeding out the 'bad apples'?
Far easier said than done, but when the entire department (at least everyone that was directly involved) helps cover up a cop cold-bloodedly murdering a citizen, you can't simply say ''some cops have an attitude"
This is what happened with the MacDonald shooting in Chicago. All the cops who were there lied. Witness statements were altered. Video evidence from a local business was destroyed. 
Yet only the cop who did the shooting went to prison. Many were allowed to retire with full pensions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

One good start (not a solution) would be to acknowledge that racism is real and pretty widespread.
You asked in a different thread if anyone had heard 'n' word jokes recently.

Do you remember when one of the Obama girls got accepted to Harvard(?)?

The outpouring of racism was both disgusting and revealing.

That sort of behavior has become much more open since Trump gained popularity. To pretend that he isn't a factor in it is disingenious. 

So is that problem the 'problem' or the 'result of the problem'?

Are cops treated like shit because they're cops?
Or because the people are tired of being treated like shit BY THE COPS?

Are you serious?

Have the police leave the citizens to the thugs & gangsters?

After the Freddy Grey killing in Baltimore, there was a very revealing piece on NPR. A citizen told the reporter something along the lines of (paraphrased) 'you have to think really hard before calling the cops. Because around here, the cops often make it worse, not better.'

How about training the cops properly, holding them accountable for their actions and weeding out the 'bad apples'?
Far easier said than done, but when the entire department (at least everyone that was directly involved) helps cover up a cop cold-bloodedly murdering a citizen, you can't simply say ''some cops have an attitude"
This is what happened with the MacDonald shooting in Chicago. All the cops who were there lied. Witness statements were altered. Video evidence from a local business was destroyed. 
Yet only the cop who did the shooting went to prison. Many were allowed to retire with full pensions.

Hi Joe,

I seriously doubt, that without the video, none of the other three cops present when Geo Floyd was murdered, would have turned his killer in.

The 'Blue Wall' thingy,

Jerry Baumchen

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

Do some citizens have an attitude?  You bet.  I think they grow tired of being policed and would much rather be left to their own fates.  How about we try that for a while?

You seriously have zero clue what is in play here. Take off the blinders, man, being choked to death, beat senseless or shot down for shits and giggles does not equate to being "tired of being policed".

2 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

I think that is fantasy.  

I also think you know it.

IT HAS ALREADY HAPPENED.  There are a lot of cops out there with a lot of courage.  They've done it.  They will continue to do it.  And those are the people who will bring an end to this.  Not the guy hiding in the basement calling on troops to "dominate" black people.  Not people on Facebook calling the protesters "thugs."

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

Do some cops have an attitude?  You bet.  I think they grow tired of risking their lives for those who don't appreciate them.

Probably.  They are perfectly free to enter other jobs they are more suited for.  And if they don't want to, they should first be encouraged, then forced to do so.

27 minutes ago, billvon said:

IT HAS ALREADY HAPPENED.  There are a lot of cops out there with a lot of courage.  They've done it.  They will continue to do it.  And those are the people who will bring an end to this.  Not the guy hiding in the basement calling on troops to "dominate" black people.  Not people on Facebook calling the protesters "thugs."

Recent example: https://gothamist.com/news/mount-vernon-police-tapes-innocent-people-were-framed

3 hours ago, airdvr said:

...  Do some cops have an attitude?  You bet.  I think they grow tired of risking their lives for those who don't appreciate them.  Do some citizens have an attitude?  You bet.  I think they grow tired of being policed and would much rather be left to their own fates.  How about we try that for a while?

So police that have a sworn duty to "protect and serve" can be allowed to "grow tired of that". So the public is not allowed to "have an attitude". Have you ever seen the attitude at airports by the flying public? That because some of the public has an attitude whole segments should be left to their fates? Got it. Collective punishment.

1 minute ago, Phil1111 said:

So police that have a sworn duty to "protect and serve" can be allowed to "grow tired of that". So the public is not allowed to "have an attitude". Have you ever seen the attitude at airports by the flying public? That because some of the public has an attitude whole segments should be left to their fates? Got it. Collective punishment.

What amazes me that we give LEO, supposedly trained in dealing with high stress situations, a lot of leeway in how they react when in high stress situations. However, we then strictly scrutinize and generally fault civilians, who are untrained in high stress situations, in how they react in those same high stress situations. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Probably.  They are perfectly free to enter other jobs they are more suited for.  And if they don't want to, they should first be encouraged, then forced to do so.

Yes. Cops that get pissed off because of a long foot pursuit on a 100 degree day, where they fall and get a good case of road rash. Then fight with a suspect before getting the cuffs on. Are expected to immediately treat the suspect with respect and recognize their innocence to everything that just happened. Judges decide punishment not the "street justice", "attitude adjustment" that a few bad cops are apt to deal out.

I have never seen people eat more crap from the public than the complaints, PR people from the airlines. BS, lies, abuse from someone that bought a economy ticket and figures the world is theirs.

10 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

What amazes me that we give LEO, supposedly trained in dealing with high stress situations, a lot of leeway in how they react when in high stress situations. However, we then strictly scrutinize and generally fault civilians, who are untrained in high stress situations, in how they react in those same high stress situations. 

The problem arises because some LE agencies provide little or poor training. Another exists because police can become jaded dealing with the "revolving door" of the justice system. Seeing victims of crime brutalized by criminals and felling like a cog in a system that doesn't work. Thats why recurrent sensitivity training is a necessary constant.

Officers need to understand drug addiction, the effects of FAS, alcoholism, child abuse and physical abuse by parents and caretakers. Then be professional when they think the suspect is a POS, child molesting, child murderer. To treat them just like a white woman in a spanking new $400,000 Bentley who just blew a stop sign.

2 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Perspective, It takes 4-5 drinks in a cop to loosen them up because they are all so straight laced. About 1-2 drinks less than a pilot.

In my experience - If you want to know how many pilots are at a party, just wait a minute - They'll tell you.;)

45 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

In my experience - If you want to know how many pilots are at a party, just wait a minute - They'll tell you.;)

A whole minute? That's about 50 seconds longer than it takes to find out how many skydivers are there.