1 1
Phil1111

trump Puts the Boots to Iranians Again

trump will not offer Iran sanctions relief as coronavirus spreads rapidly in the country    Instead as Iran has asked for a IMF loan to help fight the C-19 virus. The US government has chosen to reject sanctions relief. Punishing average Iranians is not new for US governments.

"But we have been here before. Brutal U.S. sanctions on Iraq in the 1990s caused the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqi children. Multiple senior U.N. humanitarian officials quit in protest of the policy, with one of them denouncing it as “genocide.”

Bolton’s former colleagues over at the neoconservative pressure group United Against Nuclear Iran, as Eli Clifton revealed, have been “urging major pharmaceutical companies to ‘end their Iran business,’ focusing on companies with special licenses — most often under a broadly defined ‘humanitarian exemption’ — to conduct trade with Iran.”

Yet the lie from the WH is " “The whole world should know that humanitarian assistance to Iran is wide open, it’s not sanctioned,” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said during a Friday briefing with President Donald Trump at the White House. "

So while the WH lies in press conferences, it prosecutes the drug companies for selling needed medical equipment and drugs under that exact policy. Meanwhile a coalition of 25 organizations sent a " letter signed by various organisations, including the liberal Jewish group J Street, think-tank International Crisis Group, Oxfam America and the non-profit Physicians for Social Responsibility." Urging sanctions relief. The letter was drafted by National Iranian American Council (NIAC).

Edited by Phil1111

14 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Actually I think the CIA put the Shah in power, but I might be mistaken.

Yes, that is true. And that error led to the Ayatollah coming to power. Iran had a democracy, and it probably still would. But it wanted to nationalize its oil industry. That was not to be tolerated, so the British talked the Americans into overthrowing the democratic government and installing the Shah. This led step by error filled step to where we are today.

Airdvr, regardless, this hurts the people very directly, in a way that's way worse than normal sanctions. It's like not letting the fire department hook their hose to your water supply because you don't like him. And while its his family and farm animals, it's still just wrong.

Wendy P.

9 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I agree but placing the blame at our feet is just too convenient.  The blame lies with their government.  Where is China?  Where is Russia?

They have both asked the US government to relax sanction's and allow medical purchases of coronavirus related medical supplies. In accordance with the UN resolutions allowing Iran to purchase such supplies. This  is aside from the IMF related $5 billion loan request.

(edited)
6 hours ago, ryoder said:

Good plan. Withhold aid the Iranians might need to fight a pandemic. Because everyone knows an uncontrolled pandemic won't cross Iran's borders.

If you think it would make a difference at this time - I believe you are mistaken. 

it’s already uncontrolled. 

the Iranian government would misappropriate the funds. 

what difference, at this point, would it really make anyway?

Edited by turtlespeed

11 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

the Iranian government would misappropriate the funds. 

It's not the government that the sanctions are hurting when it comes to this pandemic.  It's the relief organizations that are trying to provide aid to the people of Iran.

(edited)
7 hours ago, airdvr said:

I agree but placing the blame at our feet is just too convenient.  The blame lies with their government.  Where is China?  Where is Russia?

Here is a thought to consider. Iran signed the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), i.e. the nuclear control treaty. With Russia, China, the EU(three countries) and the USA. They complied with the agreement, trump tore it up. As far as the UN, the EU, Russia, hell the whole world is concerned. trump and the US violated the agreement then tore it up. They violated the agreement by imposing sanctions when Iran was in compliance. Then withdrew from it. Iran actually complied with the agreement for almost a year after the US withdrew.

These additional sanctions arose solely from trumps actions to force Iran into a new agreement which no other country in the world supports. Israel excepted.

In addition trump has attempted to blackmail the EU over this issue:

"The US threatened to impose 25% tariffs on cars to push Europeans to initiate proceedings against Iran for violating the nuclear deal, the German defence minister has confirmed.

“This threat exists,” said the German defence minister, Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer, at a press conference in London.

She was asked about an article in the Washington Post that claimed Trump had secretly warned France, Germany and the UK that the US would impose a “25% tariffs on European cars” if they did not activate the mechanism for the settlement of disputes (MRD) of the Iranian international nuclear agreement reached in Vienna in 2015."

Some additional thoughts on trumps "maximum pressure": How U.S. Economic Warfare Provoked Japan’s Attack on Pearl Harbor. For those who have forgotten history in the mid-war years. Another story same subject. Oil led to Pearl Harbor

Edited by Phil1111

17 hours ago, airdvr said:

Actually I think the CIA put the Shah in power, but I might be mistaken.

Your concept of cause and effect needs work.  Some effects just take years to materialize.

Iran, Chile, Greece..... all for short term gain without considering the long view.

23 hours ago, billvon said:

It's not the government that the sanctions are hurting when it comes to this pandemic.  It's the relief organizations that are trying to provide aid to the people of Iran.

What is your plan to keep the funding and supplies out of Iranian government hands?

On 3/21/2020 at 5:40 PM, airdvr said:

This is the conservative, binary, blame game world view that makes solutions so difficult. There is one real intersect between business and politics: it matters not what the counter party gets as long as you get what you need. I'm sorry to have to bring it up again but conservatives time and again miss that point.

33 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

What is your plan to keep the funding and supplies out of Iranian government hands?

?? I don't have one.  They do.  They are the better people to deal with the intricacies of getting aid into the country; the people working for Red Crescent, Red Cross, Relief International, CARE, Direct Relief etc have spent their entire careers doing it.

Apparently things have changed... I saw in today's paper that Iran turned down an offer of help because of an Iranian conspiracy theory that Coronavirus is an American conspiracy :halo:

See -- people are alike all over the world...

Wendy P.