1 1
kallend

Healthcare comparison - a case study

11 minutes ago, billvon said:

That is EXACTLY how any good company runs their business.  When the CEO tries to micromanage everyone - the end is not far off.

We're not talking about micromanaging. We're talking about a strategic plan. And yes, the strategic plan is flexible. 

3 hours ago, wmw999 said:

No plan is perfect when it starts. 

Hi Wendy,

This is how I feel about the ACA.  I do not think that it does any good, at this time, to point fingers at why it does not work perfectly.  I think that we should get together & see what can be done to improve it.  

And, if & when, it is time for some type of national health plan, I think that using the ACA would be good start.

Remember, today's Vector III started out as the WonderHog.

Jerry Baumchen

1 minute ago, kallend said:

Oooh, your sense of humor is all the way up to 6th grade level.

You got me there, your dick jokes made it all the way up to 7th grade.

But seriously, Jerry is one of the biggest culprits of selective quoting out of context.

5 hours ago, wmw999 said:

You have to start with a flexible plan, and people with information and insight to help you evaluate and mold the plan. No plan is perfect when it starts. 

Wendy P. 

Quite right.  From the Taiwan  link earlier: "To raise the contribution rate(budget), the government had to mobilize public opinion and support. Political theater ensued. The Taiwanese government hoped to sound the alarm early so that actions could be taken before the financial problem became a crisis (similar to what had been done for the U.S. Medicare program). In doing so, the government had to magnify the problem to gain public attention. Political opponents seized this opportunity to criticize the government. Since the public usually has a high degree of interest in the NHI, because it touches everyone’s lives, many politicians would like to use the NHI as a platform to gain public notice. Every real or imaged weakness of the NHI was exposed and debated."

The Taiwan article make reference to how the US multi-insurer model: "In contrast, studies have found that transaction costs in the United States amount to more than 20 percent of premium revenues." and

" The single-payer system also provided comprehensive information to create provider profiles to reduce potential fraudulent claims, abuses in coding, and the overuse of tests. It also allowed stringent control of claim payments across the board, which the BNHI adopted in 1999–2000. " The Taiwan plan also includes dental and full drug coverage. Which Canada does not cover. and " Taiwan spends a relatively smaller share of its GDP for health among the advanced economies, even after the NHI’s introduction. ... so that the NHI enjoys the status of being Taiwan’s most favored public program. "

On 3/8/2020 at 9:25 AM, BIGUN said:

I'm not sure how we segued into a conversation on poverty. I don't give Ms. Hutchison much credibility. She lost me at, "I've had to go hungry and miss a meal, so my kids can have seconds."  And, to your point - how does one levy additional fees on the poor who are smokers, etc. I like Bill's thoughts about Sin taxes. 

Back to my point. If memory serves - you're a project manager. Have you ever done a multi-million dollar project without having a project plan, project budget, used managerial accounting techniques to forecast it's financial success, Gantt Charts, PERT diagrams, operations plans etc. etc. That's all I'm asking for is a type of project plan that's a transition plan. I can get behind something that is pragmatic, but what I won't get behind is a visionary statement and a cheerleading team with no substance..        

Oh lawdy no I'm not a project manager.  I'm a production supervisor.  I'm just a glorified babysitter for our wonderful UAW employees.  /s

I am not a healthcare expert, and neither are you or anyone else on this forum, I'd be willing to bet.  But the main noises you've been making (and everyone else who's opposed to a NHS-like system) is just parroted talking points from conservative, corporate-bought media.  I'm heartened to see that you seem to have a more malleable viewpoint, however, and are open to possibly being swayed on the topic.  

As far as Bill's viewpoint on "sin taxes," I think that's a much better proposal than what I had initially stated.  Brainstorming is more effective when we don't shout down each others' ideas and simply focus on the best possible outcome for the most people.  Right now and for my entire lifetime, we've lived in a country where the best possible outcome for the smallest fraction of the population (with the most money) is exalted over the common good.  I'd like to see that change.

(edited)
7 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Wendy,

This is how I feel about the ACA.  I do not think that it does any good, at this time, to point fingers at why it does not work perfectly.  I think that we should get together & see what can be done to improve it.  

And, if & when, it is time for some type of national health plan, I think that using the ACA would be good start.

Jerry Baumchen

Hey Jerry,

I would be curious to see how it could have worked had it been delivered as written, prior to the Republican changes that were put in place in their all-out attempt to block everything Obama did, much like Trump is currently doing to remove and reverse everything Obama did.

The original plan looked better than what we were given.

I miss the days when both sides of the aisle worked together for the nation. It's been a long time.

Mark

Edited by normiss
I miss the damn 'a' key all the time!

16 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Wendy,

Jerry Baumchen

Like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pentagon_Wars