1 1
gowlerk

Workplace shootings

36 minutes ago, yoink said:

I’m working on the design for some new university buildings at the moment and one of the systems going in is ‘gunshot detection’.

In a school.

Why doesn’t this situation seem insane to everyone?

I don't think there's anyone on here that wouldn't prefer gunshot prevention over gunshot detection. 

On 6/30/2019 at 10:36 AM, yoink said:

I’m working on the design for some new university buildings at the moment and one of the systems going in is ‘gunshot detection’.

In a school.

Because knives are quiet?

It -IS- insane . . .  PLEASE make the bad guys stop carrying guns!!!

On 6/28/2019 at 1:55 PM, BIGUN said:

Let's slow down, guys. It is a police force. Security can only make a citizen's arrest (just like anyone can). It's a megachurch (they have 4-20k followers) and within that they have a school. Since they cannot use public funds - it is their form of campus police. 

BTW: This isn't the first time a church has done this.   

Police forces should be left to the local government.

If the church has issues - pay the local government to do the policing - That seems to me as a flagrand mixing between church and state - or at the very least the church making a stab at BEING the state.

On 6/30/2019 at 11:36 AM, yoink said:

In a school.

Insane that you didn't factor in the NINJA element! 

On 7/1/2019 at 2:43 PM, turtlespeed said:

Police forces should be left to the local government.

If the church has issues - pay the local government to do the policing - That seems to me as a flagrand mixing between church and state - or at the very least the church making a stab at BEING the state.

There are plenty of non-governmental police forces.

Large hospital systems have them. Private universities and colleges have them.

On 7/3/2019 at 9:31 PM, gowlerk said:

Back to the FL woman charged with burglary for taking her ex-husbands's to the police. The State of FL has decided to only punish her as a misdemeanor.

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/03/738647670/woman-accused-of-turning-in-husbands-guns-to-the-police-will-face-misdemeanor-ch

Its a good thing that theft for a good reason is a thing now.

Breaking and entering as well - 

I wonder - after she picked up the weapons . . . was it armed robbery at that point?

50 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Breaking and entering as well - 

I wonder - after she picked up the weapons . . . was it armed robbery at that point?

I would imagine that for her it is a little like it is for you in the other thread. It's important to be pro-active when dealing with threats. Only instead of getting off the first shot like you are hoping, she is more into disarming her potential assailant. As the court ordered but could not or would not enforce. We all have to survive somehow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gowlerk said:

I would imagine that for her it is a little like it is for you in the other thread. It's important to be pro-active when dealing with threats. Only instead of getting off the first shot like you are hoping, she is more into disarming her potential assailant. As the court ordered but could not or would not enforce. We all have to survive somehow.

I guess you missed the sarcasm.

(edited)
8 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I guess you missed the sarcasm.

I could easily tell you were being sarcastic. You are often sarcastic. However, it was not possible to know which direction your sarcasm was aimed in. That's another one of your posting hallmarks. You like to keep it a little vague so that you can always claim to be misunderstood. The regulars here are mostly onto just how slippery Turtles can be.

BTW, yes if you go back to the original story she was charged with armed burglary or some such gun related offense.

Edited by gowlerk

On 7/8/2019 at 4:03 PM, turtlespeed said:

It has always been a thing. White collar theft gets treated quite differently from blue collar theft. Stealing some bread to feed a child should be treated differently from stealing a million to buy a car.

8 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

It has always been a thing. White collar theft gets treated quite differently from blue collar theft. Stealing some bread to feed a child should be treated differently from stealing a million to buy a car.

What part of what she stole was going to feed a baby?

On 7/8/2019 at 4:57 PM, gowlerk said:

She did the wisest thing and deserves to be set free with "time served."