3 3
brenthutch

Green new deal equals magical thinking

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

Only thing I know about the restaurant business is the profit margin on food is slim.  Seems they make a lot of money on liquor sales...which doesn't exist right now.

Plenty of liquor sales from restaurants around here.

Just now, airdvr said:

Here it's all carry out.  You can get 2 drinks per meal to take with you but why would you?

Because Fidel's will sell you a quart of premixed margarita for $10 in one of those soup containers.  And they're really good.

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

Maybe people don't have over an hour and a half to spend on a video?

I'll make it easy for you

Environmentalist:  "could we have a religion that we are unaware of?"

Professor:  "Absolutely, you have hit the proverbial nail on the head"

"we envelop ourselves in a culturally constructive belief system....but what happens when you bump into people who don't share those beliefs?  Whether you know it or not, where you like it or not, that is undermining the confidence with which you subscribe to you own views and exposing you to the very anxiety those beliefs were constructed to eradicate in the first place"  

(edited)
25 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Ah the climate change is a religion argument.

No, climate change is real, climate changes.(It always has)  Nobody disputes that. 

The religion is that we can somehow change the climate, with windmills, solar panels, bike paths, EVs, public transportation, high density urban living and reusable grocery totes.

The real juicy part of the video is where he ties Big Green to the Koch brothers and big banks.

Edited by brenthutch

2 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

They obviously didn't close down the liquor stores in Canada 

There are very few people who believe that humans cannot impact climate. There is broad scientific consensus that human activity has impacted climate.

I highly doubt 1:40 on YouTube is going to change the science behind that.

(edited)
25 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

There are very few people who believe that humans cannot impact climate. There is broad scientific consensus that human activity has impacted climate.

There is no doubt that humans have has some impact on climate, the urban heat island effect for one.  The broader question is, can humans control the climate with windmills, solar panels, bike paths, EVs, public transportation, high density urban living and reusable grocery totes.  The obvious answer is we can't.  There has always been bad weather and there will always will be.  The notion that we can "save the planet" by riding a bike to work is nothing more than delusional religiosity.  It is no more effective (and no different)  than saying a hundred Hail Mary's  

Edited by brenthutch

2 hours ago, billvon said:

Plenty of liquor sales from restaurants around here.

Lots of deals on growlers in town here too. Big German restaurant and bar in town is giving away some beautiful mugs with their $10 growler, including the growler.

Thankfully, my next door neighbor owns a few bars and is feeding me free kegs.

Six Point Meltdown Hazy IPA is currently on tap.

29 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong"

Albert Einstein