3 3
brenthutch

Green new deal equals magical thinking

(edited)

I thought all of you lefties were free thinkers, open to new ideas and perspectives, obviously I was mistaken.  Leave it to a right leaning libertarian to open his mind to Bill Maher and Michael Moore.  I welcome and seek out opposing views, as it makes me question, justify, strengthen and yes, sometimes change my own.

Edited by brenthutch

(edited)

The utter lack of substantive pushback leads me to believe that you all are coming to grips with the notion that you have been led down a false emerald path and are the unwitting dupes of Big Green.  I think Vladimir Lenin had a phrase, attributed to him, that would be applicable to this situation...If only I could remember what it was.

Edited by brenthutch

No one engages with you on this topic because you have a literally years-long history of posting showing you have no interest in engaging rationally.

"It just stands to reason, if 2019 was the second warmest year that it is cooler than the first most warmer year."

This is the quality of your reasoning skills. A complete and utter waste of everyone's time, including mine for being suckered into taking your pissweak bait.

14 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Someone forgot to tell the Caribbean Sea. Sea Surface Temperatures are 1-1.5°C higher than last year. That's from my own ships instruments and my proprietary scrawny ass-o-meter. Look for increased and more severe tropical storm activity in the Caribbean this year with continued climate change denial giving way to frequent I told you so's in Mifflin County, PA.

That is just one body of water - Like weather - its localized!!

14 hours ago, brenthutch said:

I thought all of you lefties were free thinkers, open to new ideas and perspectives, obviously I was mistaken.  Leave it to a right leaning libertarian to open his mind to Bill Maher and Michael Moore.  I welcome and seek out opposing views, as it makes me question, justify, strengthen and yes, sometimes change my own.

There is no give and take with someone that already knows they are right about everything.  There is only direction, command, and belittlement.  

Who does that sound like? 

Gasp - Not Trump . . . :shock: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Still only PAs on me. Nothing on the content of video.

Watched most of it.  They say things I agree with regarding greenwashing etc but overall I thought it was high on accusations and low on information.  I'd like to see more data regarding their issues.  It's a minor point but I thought his representation of Solar Fest was rather misleading.  I went to that and at that location, it's a trade and seminar event for people in the building industry and for consumers, not a showcase on powering a concert with solar panels.  I don't find any hypocrisy in their use of standard power if the sun's not out, it's fairly well understood that you can't draw and use on-demand solar power in the dark.

Biofuel = bullshit.  Biomass = bullshit (Everyone was all about this in VT when I lived there). 

Wind/Solar storyline:  Fairly simplified and they spend more time talking about the issues with choosing sites, this has some truth but is also a bit of a NIMBY issue.  Again, they were in VT and I know some of those locations.  Vermonters can be difficult to deal with they're a bit of a "have your cake/eat it too" group.  There's currently no reason to stop our expansion of Wind/Solar and the rare earth materials issue is a bit overblown.  The reflected solar array went away because it's obsolete, they spend some time on the site issue again but that's again some more NIMBY.  The fact is that we're going to have to look at wind turbines and solar panels.  Mountaintop removal for coal has affected 1.3 million acres.  We're projected to use 50% solar in the future so that will be 7.5 million acres.  Even with some one that being Co-Use (rooftops and parking lots) that leave a lot of acreage under panels.

That's about it.  They didn't talk about nuke (at least I don't think) and they should've.

(edited)

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Caixin/China-fires-up-coal-power-plant-construction

“China approved nearly 10 gigawatts of new coal-fired power generation projects in the first quarter, roughly equal to the amount approved for all of last year, amid a broader scramble to jump-start an economy hobbled by the COVID-19 epidemic.”

To put that into perspective, that is about one fifth of ALL of the solar power in the US.

Edited by brenthutch

On 4/24/2020 at 8:18 AM, DJL said:

There's currently no reason to stop our expansion of Wind/Solar and the rare earth materials issue is a bit overblown.

Yep.  1) we have plenty of them, 2) we have US sources for them and 3) wind turbines don't need them anyway; there are several alternatives.

(edited)
9 hours ago, brenthutch said:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Caixin/China-fires-up-coal-power-plant-construction

“China approved nearly 10 gigawatts of new coal-fired power generation projects in the first quarter, roughly equal to the amount approved for all of last year, amid a broader scramble to jump-start an economy hobbled by the COVID-19 epidemic.”

To put that into perspective, that is about one fifth of ALL of the solar power in the US.

Sounds like some economic pressure and diplomacy is in order.  Or do we think China does best for human health?

Edited by DJL

45 minutes ago, DJL said:

Sounds like some economic pressure and diplomacy is in order.  Or do we think China does best for human health?

There are a lot of people here who are content to let China lead, and see the US as more of a follower.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

There are a lot of people here who are content to let China lead, and see the US as more of a follower.

In the global jostling amid the coronavirus crisis, Beijing is extending its influence while U.S. President Donald Trump continues to squander America's leadership role. The pandemic could mark the beginning of a new Chinese era.

"For a while, it looked as though the coronavirus outbreak would set China back years. But now, it's U.S. President Donald Trump who is reeling as his country fails to get the disease under control. As of Tuesday, almost 1.2 million people in the U.S. had been infected with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes the respiratory disease COVID-19. In China, the country in which the pandemic originated, there were only 83,966 infected people as of last Thursday, according to statistics from Johns Hopkins University."

45 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

In China, the country in which the pandemic originated, there were only 83,966 infected people as of last Thursday, according to statistics from Johns Hopkins University."

Yea right....

21 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Yea right....

While it's certainly wise to take China's numbers with a grain of salt, I have absolutely zero doubt that they got their outbreak under control early on.

If transmission and subsequent deaths had continued at the original rates you literally could not hide the presence of that many bodies.

51 minutes ago, mistercwood said:

While it's certainly wise to take China's numbers with a grain of salt, I have absolutely zero doubt that they got their outbreak under control early on.

If transmission and subsequent deaths had continued at the original rates you literally could not hide the presence of that many bodies.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/11/asia/china-south-korea-coronavirus-reopening-intl-hnk/index.html
btw they cremate their bodies they don’t bury them

(edited)
4 hours ago, DJL said:

It doesn’t matter what we think, China will do what China does. (Same goes for India)

BTW CO2 levels are higher today, when global economies are in shutdown, than they were a year ago when things were going gang busters.  It all illustrates how futile this GND fantasy is.

Edited by brenthutch

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Yep.  Reject science and believe Trump.  Just don't go injecting any Lysol, or sticking any germicidal bulbs in your chest.

800 million Chinese were under travel restrictions. In the US entire states have still not restricted travel. trump himself said Xi was doing a great job but for his supporters haircuts, open bars and the freedom to go maskless are important.