3 3
billvon

Trump had a pretty bad day

After attacking the late Senator McCain and his family several times over the week, even the National Cathedral is starting to distance itself from Trump.

After getting pushback from McCain's family for his vile and offensive tweets against the former Navy pilot, Trump claimed “I gave him the kind of funeral that he wanted.  I don’t care about this, I didn’t get a thank you, that’s okay.”

The National Cathedral was quick to point out that Trump didn't "give" McCain or his family anything. “Washington National Cathedral was honored to host the funeral service for Senator John McCain.  All funerals and memorial services at the Cathedral are organized by the family of the deceased."

5 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

In what way?

What specific positions that he held would you say qualifies him as a 'jackass'?

Tax? Civil rights? Foreign policies? 

Being captured in a war, obviously. Because Trump said so. Trump's never been captured.

13 minutes ago, yoink said:

Being captured in a war, obviously. Because Trump said so. Trump's never been captured.

Well, he was a Navy pilot when he was captured. 

He was shot down flying an A-4 Skyhawk. 

He was apparently a bit reckless and didn't follow the rules as well as he should have, but that's not the point.

Billy said he was a 'jackass' as a Senator.

While I didn't agree with all of his positions on all the issues, I had a lot of respect for him as a person and as a Senator. Well above average. 

I would like to know why Billy thinks he was a jackass. What particular positions or actions generated that opinion? 
Or is it just that his hero hates him, so Billy does too.

You're right that Trump was never captured. He never served at all. His daddy paid a doctor to give him a medical deferment. 
Of course, McCain criticized the idea that 'rich kids' could get their daddies to buy deferments, while poor kids were dying over there. 

56 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Well, he was a Navy pilot when he was captured. 

He was shot down flying an A-4 Skyhawk. 

He was apparently a bit reckless and didn't follow the rules as well as he should have, but that's not the point.

Billy said he was a 'jackass' as a Senator.

While I didn't agree with all of his positions on all the issues, I had a lot of respect for him as a person and as a Senator. Well above average. 

I would like to know why Billy thinks he was a jackass. What particular positions or actions generated that opinion? 
Or is it just that his hero hates him, so Billy does too.

You're right that Trump was never captured. He never served at all. His daddy paid a doctor to give him a medical deferment. 
Of course, McCain criticized the idea that 'rich kids' could get their daddies to buy deferments, while poor kids were dying over there. 

Sorry. You missed my admittedly poor sarcasm.

Billy thinks McCain is a jackass because Trump thinks so.... Trump thinks McCain is a jackass for serving and getting captured, because he never had to. Because he’s a weasel*.

If Trump’s done or said it, it’s good. If he say’s it’s bad, it’s bad. I reckon that’s 40% of his base right there.

*As weasely and cowardly as dodging the draft is it IS something that made me think and continues to do so. If I had the means would I do / have done any different?

This is probably a different thread, but I suspect the answer is no. I comfort myself that I have put my life at risk for a friend, so I’m not completely self centered. I’ve yet to see that in Trump.

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

It’s not Trump, it’s Rush, Mike Savage, Hannity, and all the other radio and TV commentators. They say it, red America believes it, that settles it  

Wendy P. 

Fair comment.

Are they an echo chamber of what Trump says or is it the other way around?

Depends on the day, I reckon, which is a bit fucking scary.

1 hour ago, yoink said:

Billy thinks McCain is a jackass because Trump thinks so.... Trump thinks McCain is a jackass for serving and getting captured, because he never had to. Because he’s a weasel*.

So, Billy is a True Trump Believer? No, it can't be. Billy is far too cynical to fall down that hole.

4 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

So, Billy is a True Trump Believer? No, it can't be. Billy is far too cynical to fall down that hole.

‘My side, your side’ is a remarkably powerful blinder, as is ‘Anything but Hillary’.

Thats all it takes to be a believer.

11 hours ago, gowlerk said:

McCain was a jackass because he took offense to an ill-advised insult from Trump and held a grudge to his dying day. Casting the deciding vote against repealing Obamacare, taking the Steele Dossier and using it to get the Russian Collusion hoax started, and on and on. Yes, he was a maverick who sometimes didn't vote along party lines. As far as being a war hero, would a war hero have his POW records sealed when he was elected to the Senate? What did he have to hide? It ain't good, I can tell you that much. It would have been enough to sabotage his political career. Take a look...

real_mccain.jpg

18 minutes ago, BillyVance said:

McCain was a jackass because he took offense to an ill-advised insult from Trump and held a grudge to his dying day. Casting the deciding vote against repealing Obamacare, taking the Steele Dossier and using it to get the Russian Collusion hoax started, and on and on. Yes, he was a maverick who sometimes didn't vote along party lines. As far as being a war hero, would a war hero have his POW records sealed when he was elected to the Senate? What did he have to hide? It ain't good, I can tell you that much. It would have been enough to sabotage his political career. Take a look...

real_mccain.jpg

100% bullshit.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BillyVance said:

Did you read it?

Freedom of Information request for records. Records all glowing. Oh but we found mystical additional information. But, we aren't going to tell you what that is. But, that mystical additional information points to this......

What a load of crap.

• Like 2

(edited)
1 hour ago, BillyVance said:

As far as being a war hero, would a war hero have his POW records sealed when he was elected to the Senate? What did he have to hide? It ain't good, I can tell you that much. It would have been enough to sabotage his political career. Take a look...

These posts are despicable, Billy. You’re slandering thousands of  dead veterans and war heroes because you disagree with a handful of political decisions by one of them. This is how the modern right supports the military, is it?

Sickening.

Edited by jakee

3 hours ago, BillyVance said:

McCain was a jackass because he took offense to an ill-advised insult from Trump and held a grudge to his dying day. Casting the deciding vote against repealing Obamacare, taking the Steele Dossier and using it to get the Russian Collusion hoax started, and on and on. Yes, he was a maverick who sometimes didn't vote along party lines. As far as being a war hero, would a war hero have his POW records sealed when he was elected to the Senate?

Shitting on a veteran because he doesn't want to talk about his days being tortured as a POW is about as low as you can get.  What's next?  Maybe you could attack his family.

What did he have to hide? It ain't good, I can tell you that much. It would have been enough to sabotage his political career. Take a look...

Bet you are fine with Trump not releasing his taxes after he gave his word he would do it.

4 hours ago, BillyVance said:

Casting the deciding vote against repealing Obamacare

This whole "deciding vote" this is complete bullshit. It took three R defections and all three of them voted their conscience and for what they knew was best for the nation.

(edited)
12 hours ago, BillyVance said:

Holy shit I can't believe you posted that.

"The Navy released John McCain’s military record after a Freedom of Information Act request from the Associated Press. The record is packed with information on McCain’s medals and commendations but little else."

OK, sounds good. Maybe it's been edited. Maybe it's because he actually only did that.

WMR has learned additional details regarding the deadly fire aboard the Navy aircraft carrier, the USS Forrestal, on July 19, 1967 in the Gulf of Tonkin. The additional details point to then-Lt. Commander John McCain playing more of a role in triggering the fire and explosions than previously reported.

That's quite a claim. I'm sure they'll back it up with sources for this aspersion...oh. no. Guess not. 

Do you REALLY buy  into this, Billy? If this guy had the evidence do you really think he wouldn't be publishing it far and wide?

As it's published it's a fucking bar story that he's turning into fact. Talk about 'fake news'.

Edited by yoink
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, BillyVance said:

Oh my frickin God, that's the most quickly debunked pile of garbage that's out there.  There is actual video of this and the first time I watched it was over 20 years ago in NROTC as it's a staple of Navy fire fighting training.  Just to save the conversation about how big a crock of shit this is here's a diagram of where the aircraft were located:  image.jpeg.d1386b2c2bd2a6feddf2b75801c86a5b.jpeg

Do you see any aircraft behind McCaine's?  No, because it's the fucking Indian Ocean behind McCain's aircraft.

53 minutes ago, DJL said:

Oh my frickin God, that's the most quickly debunked pile of garbage that's out there.  There is actual video of this and the first time I watched it was over 20 years ago in NROTC as it's a staple of Navy fire fighting training.  Just to save the conversation about how big a crock of shit this is here's a diagram of where the aircraft were located:  image.jpeg.d1386b2c2bd2a6feddf2b75801c86a5b.jpeg

Do you see any aircraft behind McCaine's?  No, because it's the fucking Indian Ocean behind McCain's aircraft.

Loved this part of fire fighting training.

I also worked for a Chief that was on the Forrestfire when she burned...some very good stories over beers with him.

McCain was a very fine sailor.

5 minutes ago, normiss said:

Loved this part of fire fighting training.

I also worked for a Chief that was on the Forrestfire when she burned...some very good stories over beers with him.

McCain was a very fine sailor.

For those who haven't seen it here's the full training video.  If you'll note in the intro, the overhead flyby shows the aircraft and type arranged close to what they were at the time of the fire.

• Like 1

Re: Billyvance writing about McCain pretty much blowing up the Forrestal and practically being a Colonel in the North Vietnamese Air Force.

I do try to give the right wingers on this forum a chance. After all, sometimes the news focuses too much on one story or one idiot, without putting things in historical context or looking at other sides of issues enough.

But then I check on the right wingers' info, to give them a chance, and sometimes it's all such utter bullshit. Stuff that's totally wacko and repudiated by Snopes and PolitiFact and other decent sources. Stuff that's copied once off some crazy blog and spread around unquestioningly in right wing circles. (There are always things that aren't well known or come to light later, but some stuff is just out there with the flat earthers and moon landing deniers. We individually don't have perfect knowledge, but we're talking about stuff that's almost certainly false, not just "this is a bit out there but there may be some truth to these accusations".)

It's hard to see logic in the other side when one doesn't see much of the moderates, but instead one has to fight off the most outspoken crazies.

I mean Billy, why do you even try with that stuff? Do you honestly believe it? And that something like Snopes (good, but not infallible) is all a big conspiracy against your kind? Or do you spread this stuff like Putin, as long as it spreads doubt and dissent and inflames people, no matter what the truth? Did you just forget to do any fact checking?

2 hours ago, DJL said:

For those who haven't seen it here's the full training video.  If you'll note in the intro, the overhead flyby shows the aircraft and type arranged close to what they were at the time of the fire.

Dude that proves nothing. If they can fake the moonlanding they can fake some carrier footage! Open your eyes...

;)

1 hour ago, pchapman said:

Or do you spread this stuff like Putin, as long as it spreads doubt and dissent and inflames people, no matter what the truth? Did you just forget to do any fact checking?

This. Just create enough negative stories and people start believing that if there is smoke there must be a fire.