yoink

‘Gullible cavemen at heart of largest chickenpox outbreak in decades’ reports the Fucking Obvious Times

"We, as a school, do not discriminate based on a child's medical history or medical condition."

Yep.

What? Your son has a hemorrhagic fever? No worries! Send him in. We don't discriminate against him just because he has a highly communicable disease.

No vaccinations? No worries. No child in our school has died of an easily preventable disease for over a year.

From the article:

==========
Social media bots and Russian trolls have been spreading disinformation about vaccines on Twitter to create social discord and distribute malware, US researchers say.

Troll accounts that had attempted to influence the US election had also been tweeting about vaccines, a study says.

Many posted both pro- and anti-vaccination messages to create "false equivalency", the study found.

It examined thousands of tweets sent between 2014 and 2017.

Vaccination was being used by trolls and sophisticated bots as a "wedge issue", said Mark Dredze from Johns Hopkins University.

"By playing both sides, they erode public trust in vaccination, exposing us all to the risk of infectious diseases," he said.

Earlier this month, the World Health Organization (WHO) said cases of measles in Europe had hit a record high, with experts blaming this surge in infections on a drop in the number of people being vaccinated.

In the US, the number of children being exempted from immunisation for religious or philosophical reasons is also rising, research published in June found.
===========

Looks like Russia is winning.

You know what is worse than not getting kids immunized against chicken pox?
These morons: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/allthemoms/2018/10/18/parents-plan-dangerous-chickenpox-parties/1681958002/:S

And something that really burns me, is that articles about chicken pox never mention that you never get rid of the virus; It hangs around and can cause shingles in later years.

https://www.cdc.gov/shingles/about/overview.html

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Love it.

Weakened or dead pathogens that don't make you sick are POISON! Getting "pumped" with "massive shot" of dead pathogens causes AUTISM.

But giving your child a live pathogen specifically to cause a dangerous disease? Why that's just good parenting!

They used to be a “thing,” back when chicken pox was a normal childhood disease. Before that, somwere measles parties (though measles were always worse), and German measles used to be harmless.

We should know better now. But “it was good enough for grandma”

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Yeah but those dead pathogens have got loads of artificial preservatives and stuff in, so it must be bad. These live viruses are all natural so they're definitely better.

It's like going organic, y'know?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Yes that use to be a thing. One to try and make sure an outbreak didn't ruin a family vacation. Like when all three of us kids came down with measles a day away from the grand canyon.

But yes I would like to think parents know better now. But that just ain't the case and never will be. There will all ways be the ones that think they know better.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

BartsDaddy

Yes that use to be a thing. One to try and make sure an outbreak didn't ruin a family vacation. Like when all three of us kids came down with measles a day away from the grand canyon.

But yes I would like to think parents know better now. But that just ain't the case and never will be. There will all ways be the ones that think they know better.

Measles parties were one thing, but chicken pox was always kept at home when I grew up. Chicken pox fucking HURTS and has life long implications. Measles is just a bit itchy.

yoink

***Yes that use to be a thing. One to try and make sure an outbreak didn't ruin a family vacation. Like when all three of us kids came down with measles a day away from the grand canyon.

Measles parties were one thing, but chicken pox was always kept at home when I grew up. Chicken pox fucking HURTS and has life long implications. Measles is just a bit itchy.

Lots of people DIED of measles in the bad old days.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

******Yes that use to be a thing. One to try and make sure an outbreak didn't ruin a family vacation. Like when all three of us kids came down with measles a day away from the grand canyon.

Lots of people DIED of measles in the bad old days.

"Measles affects about 20 million people a year, primarily in the developing areas of Africa and Asia. No other vaccine-preventable disease causes as many deaths. In 1980, 2.6 million people died of it, and in 1990, 545,000 died; by 2014, global vaccination programs had reduced the number of deaths from measles to 73,000. The risk of death among those infected is usually 0.2%, but may be up to 10% in people with malnutrition."

jakee

...The risk of death among those infected is usually 0.2%...

0.2%?

That's like 2 people in a thousand.

That's never going to affect (kill) the anti vax people. It's too small of a chance.

But I'll bet most of them buy lottery tickets.

Also, seen on FB:

I can't let my kid take peanuts to school because of the risk of allergies, but your kid can bring communicable, preventable diseases?
Really?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

0.2%?

Or 1 in 500, plus the risk of non-fatal complications like brain damage or permanent deafness.

I wonder - of the people that believe vaccines cause autism, what do they think the rate of vaccine caused autism is?

jakee

0.2%?

Or 1 in 500, plus the risk of non-fatal complications like brain damage or permanent deafness.

I wonder - of the people that believe vaccines cause autism, what do they think the rate of vaccine caused autism is?

You give them far too much credit.

If they actually thought it through, they wouldn't be anti-vax.

Every vaccine has side effects. Even the flu vax.

But the chances of the side effects, along with the potential damage (which can be pretty severe in some cases) is still a better bet than risking getting sick.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

>But the chances of the side effects, along with the potential damage (which can be
>pretty severe in some cases) is still a better bet than risking getting sick.

Yep. It's like skydiving without a parachute because sometimes parachutes can deploy too hard and kill you.