jclalor

Pedophile

The most misused word of the last year:

“In the US, the official psychiatric designation for pedophilic disorder (according to the DSM-IV) is: "Over a period of at least six months, recurrent, intense, sexually arousing fantasies, sexual urges or behaviors involving sexual activity with a prepubescent child or children."

Having sex with a sixteen year old does not make you pedophile. It may make you a host of other derogatory terms, but a pedophile isn’t one of them.

jclalor

The most misused word of the last year:

“In the US, the official psychiatric designation for pedophilic disorder (according to the DSM-IV) is: "Over a period of at least six months, recurrent, intense, sexually arousing fantasies, sexual urges or behaviors involving sexual activity with a prepubescent child or children."

Having sex with a sixteen year old does not make you pedophile. It may make you a host of other derogatory terms, but a pedophile isn’t one of them.

For pedophilic disorder to be diagnosed, the following criteria must be met:

-Recurrent, intense sexual fantasies, urges or behaviors involving sexual activity with a prepubescent child (generally age 13 years or younger) for a period of at least 6 months.

-These sexual urges have been acted on or cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

-The person is at least age 16 and at least 5 years older than the child in the first category. However, this does not include an individual in late adolescence involved in an ongoing sexual relationship with a 12- or 13-year-old.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/pedophilia

As far a Roy Moore, the above is met, met and met.

Phil1111

***The most misused word of the last year:

For pedophilic disorder to be diagnosed, the following criteria must be met:

-Recurrent, intense sexual fantasies, urges or behaviors involving sexual activity with a prepubescent child (generally age 13 years or younger) for a period of at least 6 months.

-These sexual urges have been acted on or cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

-The person is at least age 16 and at least 5 years older than the child in the first category. However, this does not include an individual in late adolescence involved in an ongoing sexual relationship with a 12- or 13-year-old.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/pedophilia

As far Roy Moore, the above is met, met and met.

I have yet to hear of a victim of Moore being 13 or younger.

Actually, not one of your examples apply to Moore.

>Recurrent, intense sexual fantasies, urges or behaviors involving sexual activity with a
>prepubescent child (generally age 13 years or younger) for a period of at least 6 months.

This is unknowable because we don't know what's in his head; just what he does (i.e. pursuing teens.) Generally this determination comes from a doctor as the result of observation or interviews with him and/or the people he is close to.

>These sexual urges have been acted on or cause clinically significant distress or
>impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

This is certainly true. He may lose a Senate seat he was nearly guaranteed to win due to his fondness for sexual assaults on teens.

>The person is at least age 16 and at least 5 years older than the child in the first category

It is certainly true that he was MUCH older than his victims.

However, the original post is accurate. Pedophilia is a psychiatric diagnosis. not a legal definition. Moore's pursuit and assault on underage women is a good INDICATOR that he is a pedophile, but it's not a diagnosis.

It would be more accurate to say he's been accused by several women of sexual assault on them when they were underage.

Leigh Corfman she met Moore in 1979 when she was just 14 years old. The then-district attorney offered to watch Corfman while her mother attended a custody hearing, she said, and he asked for her phone number when he was alone with her. Corfman said that days later, Moore drove her to his house and kissed her

Wendy Miller...met Moore when she was 14 and working at Gadsden Mall

Beverly Young Nelson...she had first met Moore at the restaurant she worked at when she was 15. She said he frequently complimented her appearance and signed her yearbook with the note: “To a sweeter, more beautiful girl I could not say Merry Christmas. Love Roy Moore, D.A.”
http://time.com/5029172/roy-moore-accusers/

it would be correct to say that the purported 1979 incident involving Corfman is the only thing in the Post story that amounts to a crime—two crimes, in fact, both of which, thanks to Alabama's sex offender rules, would continue to haunt and handicap Moore nearly four decades later if he had been convicted of them.

Corfman says Moore drove her to his home, where he took off his clothes except for his underwear, kissed her, removed her pants and shirt, touched her over her bra and panties, and started guiding her hand toward his crotch. She objected and asked him to take her home, which he did. In a written statement quoted by the Post, Moore said "these allegations are completely false." But if they are true, Zeigler says, it would simply mean that "he went a little too far and he stopped."

That is not the view taken by Alabama law, which sets the age of consent at 16 and defines Moore's alleged touching of Corfman as sexual abuse in the second degree, a Class A misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail. Furthermore, it is a Class C felony, punishable by one to 10 years in prison, "for any person with lascivious intent to entice, allure, persuade, or invite...any child under 16 years of age to enter any vehicle, room, house, office, or other place for the purpose of proposing to such child the performance of an act of sexual intercourse or an act which constitutes the offense of sodomy or for the purpose of proposing the fondling or feeling of the sexual or genital parts of such child or the breast of such child...or for the purpose of proposing that such child fondle or feel the sexual or genital parts of such person."
http://reason.com/blog/2017/11/10/how-going-a-little-too-far-with-a-girl-a

The definitions and meanings of words change constantly as the use of them alters.

While the official psychiatric definition may refer to prepubescence, I suspect the common usage of the word (that used by people in everyday speech) would be referring to sexual conduct with someone who is legally a child.

'Myriad' used to mean 'exactly 10,000' of something, it is now used to mean 'lots'...

To say Moore isn't an accused paedophile is correct in the specific and narrow definition you've selected. In the real world it's bullshit.

so then, since people misused the word pedophile in describing Roy Moore actually then makes him a man a grand stature worthy of serving in the US Senate?

No I didn't think so. The moral values of Americans that support him does in fact get called into question.

It's kind of like exonerating Charles Manson just because someone called him a Nazi.

tkhayes

so then, since people misused the word pedophile in describing Roy Moore actually then makes him a man a grand stature worthy of serving in the US Senate?

No I didn't think so. The moral values of Americans that support him does in fact get called into question.

It's kind of like exonerating Charles Manson just because someone called him a Nazi.

^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS. I understand the point that jclalor is making. The problem is that in the context of US tribal, take no prisoner politics. Meaning and definition is out the door.

Its like the Mueller investigation. Where Fox and friends is trying to discredit him now because the investigation is getting closer and closer to the president. The law frames the legal age of consent in Alabama at 16. Other states use 18 years.

Typically courts use some leeway for consenting teenagers. Moore was 34 and a member of the bar. For the rest of my paragraph, argument and conclusion. I refer to the quote above.

trump entered his Moore rally last night to the Greenwood tune singing "Proud to Be an American". Which for trump and Moore is as accurate an oxymoron. As defense of Moore's sexual propensities.

Here is something that will tie you knots.

The statute of limitations has passed. He is a free man. This is American politics. If he gets elected he will vote the way we want him to. Just like the other team does for you.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

The Statute of limitations has nothing to do with it.

I'm not suggesting that he should go to jail or be charged. I'm suggesting that it's fucking disgusting that people would think that someone who would do this is suitable for the US Senate, just because 'he's on my team'.

If you really think that, Ron, you're a disgrace.

yoink

The Statute of limitations has nothing to do with it.

I'm not suggesting that he should go to jail or be charged. I'm suggesting that it's fucking disgusting that people would think that someone who would do this is suitable for the US Senate, just because 'he's on my team'.

Uh, you want to start naming Democrats with similar pasts?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

>The statute of limitations has passed. He is a free man.

Yes, he is.

When you were serving your country years ago, did you ever think you'd become so 'morally flexible' that you would end up defending someone who assaulted underage girls and supporting a president that Russia worked to get into office?

A friend of mine is a prison psychiatrist. The subject came up once when we were talking about a friend in prison. It turns out that, as usual, it's not even as simple as saying pedophile. They've got all kinds of terms for different variations. There are males of a certain age that like children who have developed this much, but no more, and the list goes on.
I've always been good with sick bastard, but his paperwork is a lot more demanding.

So a child molester is cool with you so long as it's been some time.
Wow.
Disfuckinggusting.

I have 3 sisters, 3 daughters, a stepdaughter, and a wife.
I'm sickened at the way some men treat women and disgusted by those that would support and defend such behavior.
To think you consider yourself a christian is beyond belief.

RonD1120

***The Statute of limitations has nothing to do with it.

I don't think they should be in office if that's the case. You see, I try to think about if someone is a good human being BEFORE judging if they can help me or not.

You're putting partisam politics ahead of decency and morals. SUPER Christian of you. Jesus would be proud.

To think you consider yourself a christian is beyond belief.

Ron is not a christian. I know tons of christians that know they are 'the right' christian and that ron will burn in hell for the beliefs that he holds, which they say have little to do with christianity.....

RonD1120

***The Statute of limitations has nothing to do with it.

How about Conyers and Franken?

Both resigned (under pressure) this past week.

I have to admit I was a bit surprised Franken resigned.|

Conyers used the "government slush fund" to pay off an accuser.
AFAIK, Franken had not had any accusations until recently, and none that were formal complaints.

But, the "times they are 'a changin'" and for the better.

Regardless of how much time has passed, Moore is likely a sexual predator (pedophile, "teen-o-phile", whatever name you choose).

The idea that he could be elected to office in the light of these numerous accusations, combined with the fact that he was banned from the mall for harassing the young women who worked there is absolutely appalling.

The idea that he is part of the "conservative" party, the one that claims "family values" as part of their platform is disgusting.

The idea that so many so-called "Christians" are supporting him is not in any way surprising.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

RonD1120

Here is something that will tie you knots.

The statute of limitations has passed. He is a free man. This is American politics. If he gets elected he will vote the way we want him to. Just like the other team does for you.

Yes Ron. As always in the morally bankrupt world of the "Christian Right" the ends justify the means.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

yoink

The definitions and meanings of words change constantly as the use of them alters.

While the official psychiatric definition may refer to prepubescence, I suspect the common usage of the word (that used by people in everyday speech) would be referring to sexual conduct with someone who is legally a child.

'Myriad' used to mean 'exactly 10,000' of something, it is now used to mean 'lots'...

To say Moore isn't an accused paedophile is correct in the specific and narrow definition you've selected. In the real world it's bullshit.

Without looking it up, I recall 'a myriad of' (noun) being 10^1,000 and 'myriad' (adjective) being too numerous to count.

Thus, myriad as a noun has a specific numerical value, while myriad as an adjective simply indicates a mind-boggling number. Using it to indicate 'lots' is hyperbole.

winsor

Without looking it up, I recall 'a myriad of' (noun) being 10^1,000

A myriad is just 10,000. I don't think there even is a name for 10^1,000, it's too masive.

The googol, by comparison, is a positively puny 10^100
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

You failed to notice that I did not say I supported Roy Moore. I stated a pragmatic realistic opinion given our current state of political environment.

You all made it a personal attack. Shame on you all for not be able to accurately read.

If he is guilty as alleged, he should admit it and step aside. If he is innocent and these are false allegations then he should never back down.

I have stated for a long time that America is in deep trouble. All of these media trials are part of the coming SHTF. Republicans and Democrats are equally at fault. It is the condition of sinful man.

Many of you think I am going to burn in hell and yet you don't believe in hell or heaven or any spiritual life whatsoever. Seems like a weak position to me.

Many of you think I am going to burn in hell and yet you don't believe in hell or heaven or any spiritual life whatsoever. Seems like a weak position to me.

Relax, you will not suffer for eternity. You will become one with the rest of the universe. As you are now and always will be. It is only your need to believe you will live forever that I scorn.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.