billvon

Trump's job-killing tariff

Likely only the first jobs killed by Trump's tariff.

=============================
SunPower puts U.S. expansion on hold over Trump tariff
Nichola Groom
Reuters Jan 26 2018

(Reuters) - SunPower Corp (SPWR.O) on Thursday said it was putting a $20 million U.S. factory expansion and hundreds of new jobs on hold until and unless its solar panels receive an exclusion from federal tariffs the Trump administration imposed this week.
=================================

billvon

Nichola Groom
Reuters Jan 26 2018

(Reuters) - SunPower Corp (SPWR.O) on Thursday said it was putting a $20 million U.S. factory expansion and hundreds of new jobs on hold until and unless its solar panels receive an exclusion from federal tariffs the Trump administration imposed this week.

Didn't Trump just put an import tariff on solar panels from China as well?

Is he deliberately tying to make solar non-viable to appease the minority coal mining faction of the public?

yoink

***Likely only the first jobs killed by Trump's tariff.

Nichola Groom
Reuters Jan 26 2018

Didn't Trump just put an import tariff on solar panels from China as well?

Is he deliberately tying to make solar non-viable to appease the minority coal mining faction of the public?

Major part of his base, though.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If the tariff penalties actually went to the manufacturer instead of the gooberment.....I'd happily pay it.
Might still as I've been considering a solar upgrade to the camper.
Since I won't be able to write off any of it's expenses after this year.....nor those of solar......damn.

billvon

Nichola Groom
Reuters Jan 26 2018

From my understanding, the tariff is imposed on Chinese imports. Thus, it expands the American manufacturing production of these solar panels. It stimulates our GNP.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

Nichola Groom
Reuters Jan 26 2018

From my understanding, the tariff is imposed on Chinese imports. Thus, it expands the American manufacturing production of these solar panels. It stimulates our GNP.

"The main beneficiaries of the tariff include U.S.-based solar manufacturers Suniva and SolarWorld.

Suniva filed for bankruptcy in April, days before it filed the petition for trade relief. The Georgia-based company argued it could not compete with the cheap imports that have caused panel prices to fall more than 30 percent since 2016. It was later joined in the petition by SolarWorld. They asked the Trump administration for the equivalent of a 50 percent tariff.

Suniva is majority-owned by Hong Kong-based Shunfeng International Clean Energy, and SolarWorld is the U.S. arm of Germany’s SolarWorld AG. ...

The main solar industry trade group, the Solar Energy Industries Association, has a different view: it predicts the tariff will put 23,000 people out of work in the panel installation business this year"
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-tariff-q-a/qa-winners-losers-of-trumps-solar-panel-tariff-idUSKBN1FC36N

trump has pulled his glock pistol to defend America and as usual, shot himself in the foot.

RonD1120

Nichola Groom
Reuters Jan 26 2018

From a very simplistic (and inaccurate) view, yes.

But that view ignores the fact that there are very few jobs in the US making the actual solar cells & panels.
Most of the jobs involve making the ancillary gear (racks, controllers, inverters ect) and installing the setups.

Many (like upwards of 36,000) jobs are now in jeopardy because of this stupid tariff.

That the industry itself didn't want.

Well, the solar industry didn't want.

Fossil fuel people are happy as hell about it.

Forbes story: https://www.forbes.com/sites/brighammccown/2018/01/24/trump-solar-decision-leave-almost-everyone-unhappy/#74d7aa33160b
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Funny, I do not seem to remember you being upset when Obama was killing the Coal Miner's jobs. How selective of you...
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Tariffs? Those are band-aid solutions weak nations use to prop up weak industries that have failed to make the needed investments to be competitive. Also sometimes called "choosing the winners". And almost always at the behest of a political benefactor.

This is plainly a blatant attempt to raise the cost of renewable energy in America in order to slow down the bleeding from the dirty extractive companies that give a lot of support to the party currently in power.

But it will not work because you can't stop progress.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

rushmc

Funny, I do not seem to remember you being upset when Obama was killing the Coal Miner's jobs. How selective of you...

I don't recall your being upset about coal mining killing coal miners.

(Note use of gerund - you should try it).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

***Funny, I do not seem to remember you being upset when Obama was killing the Coal Miner's jobs. How selective of you...

I don't recall your being upset about coal mining killing coal miners.

(Note use of gerund - you should try it).

And it should be noted that coal miner deaths doubled during Trump's first year in office.

rushmc

Now I hope you can find a way to do the same to the wind industry

The tariffs are a start, but what we really need is an addition to our environmental laws that says that if this product was manufactured in a way that would be illegal in the US then you can't sell it here. Why pass all of these laws to protect the environment then import products that weren't made in responsible ways? As it is we're killing the planet and the US middle class at the same time. And I know that America is known for not being as geographically smart as other countries but still, do these people think China and India are another planet and all the poisons they'e just dumping won't affect us eventually?

Bob_Church

***Now I hope you can find a way to do the same to the wind industry

The tariffs are a start, but what we really need is an addition to our environmental laws that says that if this product was manufactured in a way that would be illegal in the US then you can't sell it here. Why pass all of these laws to protect the environment then import products that weren't made in responsible ways? As it is we're killing the planet and the US middle class at the same time. And I know that America is known for not being as geographically smart as other countries but still, do these people think China and India are another planet and all the poisons they'e just dumping won't affect us eventually?

Why only this product then? Why not all products? Do you understand why rare earth metals are not produced in the US despite large reserves of the ore.? Do you understand where large amounts of your recycled trash is processed and why? Or how about your Iphone, do you know what it would cost you if it were made in Indiana? The US and other western countries have long outsourced their dirty work to third world countries. Do you like your leather motorcycle jacket? Tanning leather is very toxic. That's why we ship all our raw cowhide to India and have them poison their ground.

Be careful what you wish for.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

rushmc

I don't understand why you are so concerned about the coal miners but not anybody else losing their jobs? It's a great little bite-sized talking point, but lets be honest - there aren't that many (comparatively) coal miners, but the political pressure that argument seems to have is way out of scale...

To me it's a great representation of how you parrot sound bites that you think score points for your side without actually having any understanding of the issue yourself.

To make things clear - ALL of fossil fuels represent about 55% of the total employment in the power generation industry (according to the 2017 USEER). It's not like fossil fuels are 95% of the employment in the industry and so deserve weighted consideration...
As of Feb last year there were just over 50,000 coal miners in employment.

Now, compare that to solar. Again, taken from the USEER "Just under 374,000 individuals work, in whole or in part, for solar firms, with more than 260,000 of those employees spending the majority of their time on solar. "

Why are you so concerned about 50,000 people but not 300,000? It doesn't compute.

Edit: source: https://energy.gov/downloads/2017-us-energy-and-employment-report

Why are you so concerned about 50,000 people but not 300,000? It doesn't compute.

I get it. There are no country songs about solar power workers. Dozens about coal miners and their daughters.

gowlerk

******Now I hope you can find a way to do the same to the wind industry

Why only this product then? Why not all products? Do you understand why rare earth metals are not produced in the US despite large reserves of the ore.? Do you understand where large amounts of your recycled trash is processed and why? Or how about your Iphone, do you know what it would cost you if it were made in Indiana? The US and other western countries have long outsourced their dirty work to third world countries. Do you like your leather motorcycle jacket? Tanning leather is very toxic. That's why we ship all our raw cowhide to India and have them poison their ground.

Be careful what you wish for.

I have no idea where you got this "only the one product" statement from. I certainly never said it. As for why all products need to be treated this way, I think the rest of you post explains that well enough.
If people working themselves to death and more babies born with birth defects are what it takes to produce ever cheaper electronic stuff and cut rate leather coats for us Great While Bwana's in the west I'd rather pay more. As for costs, we're going to pay it one way or another, sooner or later. Whether it's for increased security to protect us from the people we exploit after they get fed up with it or the costs of removing those chemicals from the water, we'll pay. And then some.

yoink

***Funny, I do not seem to remember you being upset when Obama was killing the Coal Miner's jobs. How selective of you...

I don't understand why you are so concerned about the coal miners but not anybody else losing their jobs? It's a great little bite-sized talking point, but lets be honest - there aren't that many (comparatively) coal miners, but the political pressure that argument seems to have is way out of scale...

To me it's a great representation of how you parrot sound bites that you think score points for your side without actually having any understanding of the issue yourself.

To make things clear - ALL of fossil fuels represent about 55% of the total employment in the power generation industry (according to the 2017 USEER). It's not like fossil fuels are 95% of the employment in the industry and so deserve weighted consideration...
As of Feb last year there were just over 50,000 coal miners in employment.

Now, compare that to solar. Again, taken from the USEER "Just under 374,000 individuals work, in whole or in part, for solar firms, with more than 260,000 of those employees spending the majority of their time on solar. "

Edit: source: https://energy.gov/downloads/2017-us-energy-and-employment-report

Of course the numbers are low. That's the problem. By moving all the manufacturing overseas we've also moved coal mining there. The low numbers are the problem. It's the ex-jobs that people worry about. I don't take any comfort in knowing that now the coal is being mined under nightmare conditions and burnt with no attempt at pollution control.