BillyVance

Anthony Bourdain RIP

:(

I attribute much of my love for travel, food, and other cultures to him. He was by far my only true man crush. :ph34r:

A very tragic loss. He was not tight lipped about his mental health struggles.

All suicides are tragic, but I guess these are an extra reminder that just because someone has filed their lives with amazing experiences, fame & success, doesn't mean that their lives are not filled with difficulties.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

DougH

:(

I attribute much of my love for travel, food, and other cultures to him. He was by far my only true man crush. :ph34r:

A very tragic loss. He was not tight lipped about his mental health struggles.

All suicides are tragic, but I guess these are an extra reminder that just because someone has filed their lives with amazing experiences, fame & success, doesn't mean that their lives are not filled with difficulties.

Well spoken, I agree!

BillyVance

Dead of suicide at 61 in France.[:/]

Such a shame. I liked his Parts Unknown series.

Shame indeed. :( The second celebrity hanging in a short time.

Is now the right time to point out that suicide is contagious? Unfortunately, it's a real thing. Not just in celebrity circles; it bleeds out into the "real world," too.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Am I wrong for being angry every time I see another story about suicide? To me; it is a selfish act especially for those who leave children behind to wonder if they are capable of the same "option." I realize they may not be thinking quite right, but.. well, I don't know.. it just pisses me off.

EDIT: Love his shows over the years.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

Am I wrong for being angry every time I see another story about suicide? To me; it is a selfish act especially for those who leave children behind to wonder if they are capable of the same "option." I realize they may not be thinking quite right, but.. well, I don't know.. it just pisses me off.

EDIT: Love his shows over the years.

There are many people I know who are hostile toward suicide victims. And they would refuse to call them victims. Personally I am somewhat troubled by the amount of attention that is given when famous people kill themselves. More care should be shown to the everyday lives and deaths of ordinary suicides.

What a gut punch!
'Parts Unknown' was so much more than a 'foodie' show, it was some of the best Journalism available today. Food was just the perfect vehicle with which to tell the story of a culture. What I loved about Bourdain was that he would never shy away from showing and telling the 'bad' side of a story.
In the episode on the Mississippi Delta, he didn't hesitate for a second to tell the most important part of the story... racism in the South.
I also loved the episode from Sicily where they take him diving for Octopus, when they don't find any, his hosts begin 'seeding' the sea floor with frozen octopus to make for the photo-op. Bourdain would have none of it... it made sure his camera crew photographed this and made sure it was not left out on the cutting room floor. He was pissed! I loved that honesty. Too much 'journalism' is made for TV these days.
RIP!

I had a friend who felt the same way (we talked about it at some length sharing a ride to an event once). Someone who was on that even shot himself about a week later; he left an incredibly honest and heart-rending letter about his inability to feel happiness (for 30+ years), even though he was aware of the love and support he had in his life, and was by all external standards a success. The pain he was in showed through, to the extent that even my friend understood that the gentleman had tried for years, but had found his end. His comment was “my God what pain he must have been in.” In some ways, it was blessing his girlfriend posted the letter on Facebook — it probably educated more than a couple of people.

I’m sure sometimes it’s selfish, but sometimes it’s a statement that someone has reached the end. We hear about people who can’t stand the thought of living as a quadriplegic (for example), while others say that they are better people for it (though I imagine few would choose that path deliberately).

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Through early morning fog I see
Visions of the things to be,
The pains that are withheld for me.
I realize, and I can see

That suicide is painless.
It brings on many changes,
And I can take or leave it if I please.

I try to find a way to make
All our little joys relate
Without that ever-present hate,
But now I know that it's too late.

The game of life is hard to play
I'm gonna lose it anyway
The losing card I'll someday lay
So this is all I have to say:

The only way to win is cheat
And lay it down before I'm beat,
And to another give my seat
For that's the only painless feat.

The sword of time will pierce our skins
It doesn't hurt when it begins
But as it works its way on in
The pain grows stronger...watch it grin.

A brave man once requested me
To answer questions that are key.
Is it to be or not to be?
And I replied, "Oh, why ask me?

"'Cause suicide is painless.

"… and you can do the same thing if you please."

Suicide Is Painless (aka the theme song from M*A*S*H)
Lyrics by Mike Altman
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

BIGUN

idk, Wendy. Guess I just don't get it.

Here's something I've wondered about that involves the people who study suicide. I know they look into people who have attempted suicide, or people close to those who have successfully killed themselves. But what about the people who by any measure of logic should want to die but will fight tooth and nail to live. Maybe it isn't something in the suicide victim but something missing, whatever that thing is that keeps people from pulling the trigger no matter how much they want to and how hard they try.

Sorry, Bob. I don't subscribe to the notion that for some suicide is an inevitable outcome. It is a false premise that undermines hope. I can't take credit for that perspective as I'm paraphrasing from something I read awhile ago and can't give you a source as much as it has become my opinion. For me; survival is our strongest instinct.

There's too many studies done on those who've committed suicide leaving a doubt in those they've left behind as to it being an option for them. And, in many cases, it becomes true. Most famous that comes to mind are the Hemingways.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

Sorry, Bob. I don't subscribe to the notion that for some suicide is an inevitable outcome. It is a false premise that undermines hope. I can't take credit for that perspective as I'm paraphrasing from something I read awhile ago and can't give you a source as much as it has become my opinion. For me; survival is our strongest instinct.

There's too many studies done on those who've committed suicide leaving a doubt in those they've left behind as to it being an option for them. And, in many cases, it becomes true. Most famous that comes to mind are the Hemingways.

But I was thinking about the people who can't commit suicide. What keeps them from it?
What keeps someone like Larry Nassar from hanging themselves in their cell?

Bob_Church

***… survival is our strongest instinct. …

But I was thinking about the people who can't commit suicide. What keeps them from it?

I believe there exists an element of extraordinary courage and willpower within a suicide that enables them to overcome that strongest of instincts. Not everybody has it in them. For some, certain death is the absolute worst option, no matter what.

I don't lump all suicides together. Some are tragedies; some are triumphs. Seldom could I reasonably consider any of them acts of selfishness.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

jcd11235

Through early morning fog I see
Visions of the things to be,
The pains that are withheld for me.
I realize, and I can see

That suicide is painless.

I try to find a way to make

All our little joys relate
Without that ever-present hate,
But now I know that it's too late.

The game of life is hard to play
I'm gonna lose it anyway
The losing card I'll someday lay
So this is all I have to say:

The only way to win is cheat
And lay it down before I'm beat,
And to another give my seat
For that's the only painless feat.

The sword of time will pierce our skins
It doesn't hurt when it begins
But as it works its way on in
The pain grows stronger...watch it grin.

A brave man once requested me
To answer questions that are key.
Is it to be or not to be?
And I replied, "Oh, why ask me?

"'Cause suicide is painless.

"… and you can do the same thing if you please."

Suicide Is Painless (aka the theme song from M*A*S*H)
Lyrics by Mike Altman

*** Mike Altman wrote the song at the age of 14***

flyhi

They ran a bunch of his shows this weekend.

Loved the one outlining his first trip to Waffle House. He actually made it sound like a culinary event.

How about the one where he eats beaver in Canada. I know the best chefs and best local representative eateries are the focus. But I'd be starving before I ate a gamy, greasy beaver.

Tony could make a can of Spam taste good.