CornishChris

Glider encounter

Had a close encounter with a glider in freefall on Sunday. Uneventful 2-way sit with a mate who is still learning how to sit, so we had a bit of seperation. At c. 5,000 feet we passed a glider - he was off to my left and in front of me - maybe 15-20 metres away - pretty hard to tell.

The LZ at this particular DZ is used to launch gliders but they operate on one side and the DZ on the other - it is a huge LZ and the DZ has worked happily with the glider school for many years without incident. It is thought the glider in question was cross country and not to do with the school. We were the fourth group out after a 10+ way track and 2 2-way flatties. There was one solo after us that did not see the glider. The glider was not spotted from the plane before exit, and yes I did have a look. There was scattered cloud at c. 6-7K.

It freaked me out a bit as you may be able to imagine.

The incident was reported to the DZO.

Anyway check out Glider

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

and yes I did have a look

i bet it will take five replys at best until someone will give you a hard time for not looking enough

gliders can be freaking hard to see so watch out
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

Link is right in his post.

Chris.... Question:

In looking at the video, it appears as though your reaction to spotting the glider is to immediately deploy (at 4-5k?) while still in a sit. Is that right? Or is this a result of edit/splicing of the video for size considerations? Am I seeing this right?
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

wow, we nearly got out on the saturday but were lucky to spot the glider. Couple of loads later on take off had a glider go right past the plane about 50-100 meters away and swerve right under and around us.
Were you at the same DZ as myself?

The whole day i would spend sitting looking out the door the whole lift trying to look for those fucking mongrels!!>:(

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

>At c. 5,000 feet we passed a glider - he was off to my left and in front of
>me - maybe 15-20 metres away - pretty hard to tell.

We had paragliders in our airspace around 5000 feet on sunday. Jay buzzed them while climbing to make sure they saw the otter (and hopefully figured out that they were near a DZ.) We get gliders beneath us all the time at Elsinore, but they're pretty good about sharing the airspace (which they have as much right to as we do.)

It is just the splicing of the video - It was around 4,500 - 5000 so at break off for our two way so I rolled onto my front and did a short track - there was already substantial seperation due to the other jumper being a novice sit flyer who was backsliding.

Ockers - sunny England was sunny until today when it is thundery but is good to be back - I now have a 9 month old boy which was why we came back. he very politely spewed up in my camera helmet on Saturday the jump before that one!

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

Normally the gliders at Weston are very good and have to get an ok for every lauch from DZ control, once launched they move right away from the DZ to do their thing.

Despite being marked as a danger area (or whatever the technical term is) on all the aviation maps and having a 2 mile exclusion zone there are still the odd bandits who encroach on the DZ as I'm sure happens occasionally at all UK DZs. Think it's just one of the issues when jumping in a country with busy airspace. Thats why we all check the spot, not only for the location but also to make sure the airspace is as clear as it can be (that statement has the caveat that nobody can spot everything).

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

There also ok people (although flying a plane without an engine is pretty odd), have spent a few nights drinking with some of them.

Think one of the issues in the UK (and elsewhere) is that you get stupid pilots just follow roads, rivers, railway lines etc. without looking at their charts and end up flying through restricted airspace. Think however that Weston dosn't get that much due to it's RAF status, would love to see the face of a bandit when he gets a C130 fly past.

Nick

Out of curiosity, what makes a DZ "restricted" airspace?

Who has more right to be there? Skydivers? GA? Either?

In the battle for airspace, skydiving will never win over GA.

I'm not saying that we can't both respect and look out for each other. But I have a feeling that a lot of jumpers feel that this is their airspace.

edited to add: I see a lot of haze there. I have no intention of turning this into a spotting thread, but do you think reduced visability (on your part) had something to do with this near incident?

.jim
"Don't touch my fucking Easter eggs, I'll be back monday." ~JTFC

As far as Weston is concerned it's restricted in a couple of ways: 1. it's military airspace, 2. it's a dropzone.

Not sure on the technicalities but as soon as the DZ is activated it's a no go area for GA, therefore in this case (and with most of the rest of the UK) it is our airspace.

Nick

Nick

Wurd....

Love your work Parsons... personally I think this whole inccident is a result of poor body position :P

So first week of september where are we jumping????

-Oli
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+