billvon

Comey's testimony

So no real surprises; just confirmation of what we already knew, to wit:

-Trump pressured Comey to end the Flynn investigation
-Trump lied repeatedly about both Comey and the FBI
-Comey kept notes because it became clear to him that Trump wasn't honest
-Pence was indeed aware of Flynn's contact with the Russians, despite Pence's denials
-Sessions is being investigated as part of the Russian hacking probe
-The Steele dossier is real; he could not talk about it for that reason (i.e. it's part of the investigation)
-The Russians have tried before to hack US computers to affect elections and other US decisions; they are doing it now and will continue.

One interesting comment. While Trump is not personally the target of the ongoing investigation (his administration is) when asked point blank if he believed that Trump colluded with Russia, Comey replied “It’s a question I don’t think I should answer in an open setting.” You could see that flummoxed Tom Cotton; he was expecting a "no."

So nothing groundbreaking. Democrats will be disappointed that there were no dramatic "the killer was - Donald Trump! (gasp)" moments, and Republicans will be unhappy that this doesn't do anything to dispel the cloud Trump is under.

Trump's lawyer's response can be summed up with:

Trump is not a liar, Comey is a liar.

The other thing that become even more obvious, to me anyways, is that Trump truly only cares about Trump. Every decision he makes is solely based on how it affects Trump.

>The other thing that become even more obvious, to me anyways, is that Trump
>truly only cares about Trump. Every decision he makes is solely based on how it
>affects Trump.

That's been obvious to anyone who is paying attention for the past year. His replies have nothing to do with truth; they have to do with what will benefit him most in the short term.

I liked Comey's take on Trump's threat to release the tapes: "Lordy, I hope there are tapes!"

SkyDekker

The other thing that become even more obvious, to me anyways, is that Trump truly only cares about Trump. Every decision he makes is solely based on how it affects Trump.

That lawyer must at least be worth some of what I'm sure he's charging the president, as I'd be willing to bet he confiscated POTUS' phone during the testimony, and possibly tied him to a chair. :D:D That would have been the only way to keep him from tweeting -- short of asking him, "does this rag smell like chloroform?"
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

TriGirl

***Trump's lawyer's response can be summed up with:

That lawyer must at least be worth some of what I'm sure he's charging the president, as I'd be willing to bet he confiscated POTUS' phone during the testimony, and possibly tied him to a chair. :D:D That would have been the only way to keep him from tweeting -- short of asking him, "does this rag smell like chloroform?"

Wait....wait...they will be coming.

Supporters of Trump are already applauding the testimony as a complete absolution of any wrongdoing ever by Trump and detractors are already applauding the testimony as a smoking gun that will end the presidency

Which it was neither. But plenty of stuff that will keep the water muddy for a long time yet. Sure wish I was a fly on the wall in the private testimony. The public needs to hear more of that.

ryoder

***Only 20? Hmmm... I could swear I formed my opinion of him at least twice that long ago and it hasn't changed one bit.

More like 26 years: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4964780/

Nope. Much farther back. Shit like this.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/28/news/trump-apartment-tenants/index.html

I'm a west coast kid and even at 20 I knew he was essentially a lying dirtbag slumlord taking advantage of the people "below" him.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Trump has dug himself down in a deep hole by many stupid and unnecessary actions he has taken.

The new ? Comey's discussion caused for me came from a question asked by Ms Feinstein along the lines of - Why didn't you tell Mr Trump he shouldn't be asking what he is asking of you (e.g Comey).

To me Comey is a very street wise pro who is not easily intimidated even by a President - I mean Comey was the head of one of the most powerful investigative agencies on earth.

Was Comey trying to bait the President to see if he would become more demanding in subsequent meetings? Kind of like a sting operation?

Regular Cops are pretty well known for doing that - Why would the FBI be any different?

To all those that say there is no smoking gun in trump's hand.

How many times has trump been sued?

How many days upon days has he been under oath in depositions testifying about his conduct and actions?

How many days has this 70 year old man been sitting with lawyers going over testimony regarding all the legal matters he has been in?

Think about it. Was anyone expecting a written presidential order to Comey to back off?

Except for the bag licker Ryan

"Paul Ryan’s Excuse for Trump: He’s ‘Just New to This’
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/06/paul-ryans-excuse-for-trump-hes-just-new-to-this.html

Sure trump is just a babe in the woods to lying, bullying and the whole function of the justice system.

SkyDekker

Interesting comment in WaPo pertaining to Michael Isikoff's Yahoo article about why several law firms refused to represent Trump:

“The concerns were, ‘The guy won’t pay and he won’t listen,’” said one lawyer close to the White House who is familiar with some of the discussions between the firms and the administration, as well as deliberations within the firms themselves.

If accurate, Isikoff’s reporting suggests that a lifelong habit of skipping out on bills has saddled Trump with an attorney ill-prepared for the task ahead.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Many opinions on what is a smoking gun these days from folks much more knowledgeable then me - so I'll wait on the former FBI director now in charge of the special investigation to decide the smoking gun issue.

I was just curious if anyone else had thought of what popped up in my mind today.

Agreed that neither one of these guys are babes in the woods.

Ok
You posted the CNN version of the hearing.

Here is what really came from it.
BTW, without proof you believe Comey.
I am not taking either side but, I will present a differing view.
NOT, the CNN view (who had to pull back a couple of headlines because their "anonymous sources" burned them!:D

Oh
I will post my source:o

1) Trump was not under investigation by the FBI

When questioned by Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL), Comey answered that President Donald Trump was not under investigation by the FBI. It was also revealed that congressional leaders had previously been briefed on this fact.

2) James Comey leaked documents to the media

Comey admitted to orchestrating leaks from the investigation to the media using a network of friends. Reponse was swift on social media:

3) The obstruction of justice case against Trump just went up in smoke

Comey: I mean, it’s the President of the United States with me alone, saying, “I hope this.” I took it as this is what he wants me to do. I didn’t obey that, but that’s the way I took it.

Risch: You may have taken it as a direction, but that’s not what he said.

Comey: Correct.

Risch: He said, “I hope.”

Comey: Those are exact words, correct.

Risch: You don’t know of anyone that’s been charged for hoping something?

Comey: I don’t, as I sit here.

Risch: Thank you, Mr. Chairman.

4) Comey says the New York Times published fake news.

Senator Risch questioned Comey about the Times, asking “So the American people can understand this, that report by the New York Times was not true, is that a fair statement?”

“It was not true,” Comey said. “Again, all of you know this, maybe the American people don’t. The challenge — I’m not picking on reporters about writing stories about classified information… [the challenge is] that people talking about it often don’t really now what’s going on and those of us who actually know what’s going on are not talking about it.”

5) Loretta Lynch meddled in the Clinton investigation

6) James Comey sounds like every disgruntled former employee ever

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/06/08/the-six-most-important-revelations-from-the-comey-hearing/

"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

Ok

From Breitbart? You are delusional.

BTW, why do you think Trump hired Flynn in the first place given that both the outgoing POTUS and the acting AG strongly advised against it? Arrogance or just stupidity?

kallend

***Ok

BTW, why do you think Trump hired Flynn in the first place given that both the outgoing POTUS and the acting AG strongly advised against it? Arrogance or just stupidity?

You are framing a gotcha question and you are not even a lawyer.

Can't be honestly answered but then, you don't care.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Donald J. Trump; Verified account @realDonaldTrump 3h3 hours ago
"Despite so many false statements and lies, total and complete vindication...and WOW, Comey is a leaker!"

So according to Drumpf tweet this morning, Comey's testimony completely vindicated him, and it was a lie.:S
Is Drumpf admitting guilt?:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'm a bit puzzled by the "leaker" condemnations.

Disclosing your own written record/document(s) of an unclassified meeting is now considered a leak?

How is Merriam-Webster ever going to stay current with all the new definitions coming out of the WH?

"Fake news". "Alternative facts".

Good lord, please stop manipulating the language.

rushmc

******Ok

You are framing a gotcha question and you are not even a lawyer.

Can't be honestly answered but then, you don't care.

It CAN be honestly answered, but it would put your hero in a bad light to do it. AND YOU KNOW IT, which is why you won't answer.

>I will post my source

Good for you! You get a trophy.

>BTW, without proof you believe Comey.

So you have gone from "there will be nothing there!" to "Comey lies!"

I will go with the former director of the FBI over the second most dishonest president in history, myself.

BTW, from Comey we learned that Trump wasn't under investigation by the FBI before Trump fired him. But because of the firing, he is now under investigation by a special counsel for obstruction of justice.

Are you tired of all the winning yet?

Comey admitted to orchestrating leaks from the investigation to the media using a network of friends. Reponse was swift on social media:

Simply not true. Comey admitted to leaking his own memo. He did so as a private citizen and the information wasn't classified.

Also interesting to note he did so for a specific reason. Maybe just vindictive, maybe he knows something.

The obstruction of justice case against Trump just went up in smoke

Also not true. And the opposite isn't true either.

5) Loretta Lynch meddled in the Clinton investigation

Unable to determine from the testimony.

6) James Comey sounds like every disgruntled former employee ever

I wonder what you would sound like if your boss were to tell you what a great job you were doing. Then hints at wanting you to do something highly unusual and maybe illegal. Then fires you when you refuse to do so. I am sure you would be singing his high praise all over the place :)

If I would have to judge between the honesty of Comey and the honesty of Trump, it is no contest. Trump has a long, long, long, long track record of being a liar.

SkyDekker

If I would have to judge between the honesty of Comey and the honesty of Trump, it is no contest. Trump has a long, long, long, long track record of being a liar.

Longer even than that.

And word on the street is that he found it hard to find a law firm on account of his well deserved reputation for gypping people and companies to which he owes money.