brenthutch

Dr StrangeHarpper or: How I Learned to Stopped Worrying (About Global Warming) and Love CO2

billvon

>Next step "Trump’s Dangerous Support for Conspiracies About Autism and
>Vaccines" . . I'm sure he can scour the interwebs to find some PhDs who can
>endorse him if he looks long enough.

I hear Dr. Andrew Wakefield says that they can cause autism. He has an MD and everything.

He just goes by Andrew Wakefield now that his credentials are revoked.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

From your post
"climate change is a real, human-caused, and urgent threat."

ur·gent

adjective
(of a state or situation) requiring immediate action or attention.
"the situation is far more urgent than politicians are admitting"
synonyms: acute, pressing, dire, desperate, critical, serious, grave, intense, crying, burning, compelling, extreme, exigent, high-priority, top-priority; life-and-death

Can you explain to me how something can be an "urgent threat" for three decades? I'm still waiting for Al Gore's clockwise rotating northern hemisphere mega-storms.

Just like smoking is an urgent threat to your health.

Just like inhaling asbestos fibres is an urgent threat to your health.

If you can't understand that concept, you may need some remedial education. And by remedial education I mean grade 1 and maybe 2.

Can you explain to me how something can be an "urgent threat" for three decades? I'm still waiting for Al Gore's clockwise rotating northern hemisphere mega-storms.

Yes. The lead time required to turn the ship around is measured in decades. It's a very large ship. Do you understand now?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

Yes. The lead time required to turn the ship around is measured in decades. It's a very large ship. Do you understand now?

Lead time for what? What are we turning around?

It all depends on how much remediation you want to sign up for. Kind of like the aforementioned ship. You can
- notice the cold weather forecast for the North Sea and choose another path
- hear there might icebergs
- hear radio reports of icebergs in your path
- see the icebergs and decide that they're not too big
- see the big icebergs in the middle of the pack and figure you're not going to hit them
- run into an iceberg

Or you can keep speeding ahead to break the Atlantic crossing record.

When does it become urgent?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

brenthutch

Lead time for what? What are we turning around?

What would become inevitable if people like you have their way. Don't play the duck. I'm not starting at the beginning to play your game.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

brenthutch

I guess we have to talk about smoking, asbestos, ships, icebergs and elevated levels of distress because y'all can't discuss the failed predictions of climate change alarmists. Anyway who likes the title of my thread?

Its kind of misleading isn't it? AFAIK you have never lost a minute's sleep about global warming and regardless of circumstance don't plan to either!

In fact there is photo evidence of your lack of worry over global warming:
http://www.labradorcenter.com/wallpapers/1280x1024/chocolate-lab-puppy-asleep.jpg

brenthutch

You need to bone up on the concept of "urgent"

Yes, ensuring that asbestos fibres are no longer inhaled would be extremely urgent, even though potential severe health effects would not show until much later.

Once the effects show, it is long too late to stop the inhaling of the fibres. The damage has been done.

Smoking is much the same way.

Something can be an urgent threat, even if the effect isn't until later.

Maybe something more related to skydiving might help:

If a jumper is about to leave the plane without a parachute, one would call that an urgent threat to their life. Even though death will be a few minutes after leaving the plane.

Does that help you see how urgent doesn't have to be tied to quick or immediate? This really is grade 1 type of stuff.

>I guess we have to talk about smoking, asbestos, ships, icebergs and elevated
>levels of distress because y'all can't discuss the failed predictions of climate
>change alarmists.

I guess you want to back away very quietly from your pratfall with the definition of "urgent." I can understand why you'd want to.

But let's play your game.

The projections of the IPCC (the FAR, TAR, SAR and AR4) have been within half a degree of being accurate.

The projections of all the deniers who have made their own models (Lindzen, Easterbrook, Akasofu, McLean) have failed miserably. Off by more than a degree in 2012 and diverging rapidly ever since.

So let's see - go with a model with a proven track record, or go with a set of deniers who have failed miserably to predict climate change? To the right wing the answer is easy - "whatever makes me more money."

Anyway who likes the title of my thread?

I think it's quite clever. Except for the misspelling of Dr. Will Happer's name as Harpper that is. Usually your attention to detail is better than that.

>I think it's quite clever.

I agree.

In the end, Dr. Strangelove turns out to be crazy, and his efforts of him and his associates result in the destruction of the Earth. (Although somehow I doubt that BrentHutch was going for that comparison . . .)

SkyDekker

***You need to bone up on the concept of "urgent"

Yes, ensuring that asbestos fibres are no longer inhaled would be extremely urgent, even though potential severe health effects would not show until much later.

Once the effects show, it is long too late to stop the inhaling of the fibres. The damage has been done.

Smoking is much the same way.

Something can be an urgent threat, even if the effect isn't until later.

Maybe something more related to skydiving might help:

If a jumper is about to leave the plane without a parachute, one would call that an urgent threat to their life. Even though death will be a few minutes after leaving the plane.

Does that help you see how urgent doesn't have to be tied to quick or immediate? This really is grade 1 type of stuff.

So when exactly will the death and destruction stuff manifest? So far we have record food production, more polar bears and fewer people in poverty than ever. No drought in California, fewer tornadoes, hurricanes, and wildfires etc etc.

Why are you guys so negative? You reject the very notion that the world is is not coming to an end, despite the evidence that is right before your eyes.

What a sad pathetic existence. You have my pity.

Why are you guys so negative? You reject the very notion that the world is is not coming to an end, despite the evidence that is right before your eyes.

What a sad pathetic existence. You have my pity.

Who said the world is coming to an end? The world will be fine. Our place in it just won't be as good. Why do you have so much fear of the changes coming in our technology? The world is changing before your eyes and you quake and whine like a baby resisting it. Pitiful.

brenthutch

If the current trend holds, our place in the world won't be as good, it will be much much better.

Yes it will. We'll have more renewables. Less dependence on fossil fuel, less pollution of many sorts, less body and landscape destroying mining, and less danger of runaway heating. Yes, the current trends are somewhat encouraging. I'm glad you're beginning to embrace the changes in our energy economy!

Meanwhile back in the real world.....

"While global coal consumption did decline by 1% in 2015, the world set new consumption records for petroleum and natural gas. The net impact was a total increase in the world's fossil fuel consumption of about 0.6%. That may not seem like much, but the net increase in fossil fuel consumption -- the equivalent of 127 million metric tons of petroleum -- was 2.6 times the overall increase in the consumption of renewables (48 million metric tons of oil equivalent)."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier/2016/06/08/world-sets-record-for-fossil-fuel-consumption/

I'm doing my part. Driving, flying, trucking, skydiving, and the gas furnace is on as well because we've suddenly got a freakishly cold March going on here.

Nonetheless, the trend is still shows the rate of increase in renewables to be far greater than the rate of increase for fossil sources.

The fact that we can only do so much practically does not mean that we should do nothing.

>Why are you guys so negative? You reject the very notion that the world is is not
>coming to an end, despite the evidence that is right before your eyes.

The whole "world is going to end" thing is a strawman you have constructed. No one here has claimed that.

billvon

>Why are you guys so negative? You reject the very notion that the world is is not

The whole "world is going to end" thing is a strawman you have constructed. No one here has claimed that.

Really?
"Climate change threatens America’s economy, national security, and public health and safety":S

brenthutch

***>Why are you guys so negative? You reject the very notion that the world is is not

Really?
"Climate change threatens America’s economy, national security, and public health and safety":S

So, those things are in danger of being affected. That is not an "end of the world" viewpoint. You are the one guilty of hyperbole here. The statement in not that it threatens the end of anything. Get your shit together man. It's going to be okay. You'll adapt in time. Or at least your children will.