brenthutch

Dr StrangeHarpper or: How I Learned to Stopped Worrying (About Global Warming) and Love CO2

gowlerk

I'm doing my part. Driving, flying, trucking, skydiving, and the gas furnace is on as well because we've suddenly got a freakishly cold March going on here.

Nonetheless, the trend is still shows the rate of increase in renewables to be far greater than the rate of increase for fossil sources.

What part of
"the net increase in fossil fuel consumption was 2.6 times the overall increase in the consumption of renewables."
do you not understand?

brenthutch

***I'm doing my part. Driving, flying, trucking, skydiving, and the gas furnace is on as well because we've suddenly got a freakishly cold March going on here.

Nonetheless, the trend is still shows the rate of increase in renewables to be far greater than the rate of increase for fossil sources.

What part of
"the net increase in fossil fuel consumption was 2.6 times the overall increase in the consumption of renewables."
do you not understand?

What part of rate of growth do you have trouble with?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-06/wind-and-solar-are-crushing-fossil-fuels

The trend is clear. Despite the absolute numbers which do not indicate trends.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

******I'm doing my part. Driving, flying, trucking, skydiving, and the gas furnace is on as well because we've suddenly got a freakishly cold March going on here.

What part of
do you not understand?

What part of rate of growth do you have trouble with?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-06/wind-and-solar-are-crushing-fossil-fuels

The trend is clear. Despite the absolute numbers which do not indicate trends.

Spoken like a true warmist.

Spoken like a true warmist.

Well, you could be right. I am a warmist. Not surprising because not once in my life have I even been cool. Not even for 5 minutes.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/warmist

noun
a person, esp a scientist, who believes in global warming and the greenhouse effect
The opposite is coolist

And I suppose that makes you a coolist.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

>"Climate change threatens America’s economy, national security, and public health and safety"

Correct. Those things might be affected. That does not mean the world is coming to an end.

You're looking particularly desperate to "win" these days, and are making less and less sense. Everything OK?

billvon

>"Climate change threatens America’s economy, national security, and public health and safety"

Correct. Those things might be affected. That does not mean the world is coming to an end.

You're looking particularly desperate to "win" these days, and are making less and less sense. Everything OK?

It didn't say affected, it said threatens, big difference.

From my standpoint I have already won. The government is getting out of the control the weather business. NASA is going back to space exploration, the EPA is being reigned in, taxpayer money will no longer be squandered on "alternative" energy boondoggles, instead we will develop our cheap and dependable traditional energy sources and to top it off, the fate of electric cars will be left to the tender mercies of the market.

Oh and at the North Pole??? More polar bears than ever.

It didn't say affected, it said threatens, big difference.

From my standpoint I have already won. The government is getting out of the control the weather business. NASA is going back to space exploration, the EPA is being reigned in, taxpayer money will no longer be squandered on "alternative" energy boondoggles, instead we will develop our cheap and dependable traditional energy sources and to top it off, the fate of electric cars will be left to the tender mercies of the market.

Oh and at the North Pole??? More polar bears than ever.

Well....It's Sunday AM, and maybe you have a hangover. That may explain how you can believe you've "won".

>From my standpoint I have already won.

Good for you! You go right on believing that.

===========
The Twilight of American Coal and the Rise of Renewables
Feb 10, 2017 04:53 PM ET

BY ROBERT S. ESHELMAN

. . . A series of reports this week on the state of the nation's clean energy sector show that the president is out of step not only with what scientists suggest needs to happen in order to avoid potentially catastrophic levels of global warming but also with the observations of non-partisan, objective energy-industry analysts.

Colleen Regan of Bloomberg New Energy Finance presented on Friday an overview of the domestic energy sector. The headlining theme: the U.S. economy has been growing without generating greater amounts of greenhouse gas emissions. And she credited record amounts of new, renewable energy capacity, as well as the decline of coal consumption and the growth of domestic natural gas production, for the shift.

"We're calling this the new normal because we are seeing that sustainable energy, which was formally called alternative energy, is really what utilities and corporate are investing in," she said. "So if you look at just power sector installations in the past 25 years, 92 percent of them have been renewables or natural gas. So, this really shouldn't be considered an alternative industry. It's really what we're considering the new normal here."
===========
Survey: Record Number of Americans ‘Very Worried’ About Global Warming
Yale School of Forestry
George Mason University

Jan 18 2017

A nationally representative survey conducted shortly after the presidential election finds that the number of Americans “very worried” about global warming has reached a record high (19 percent), since first measured in 2008. A majority of Americans (61 percent) say they are “very” or “somewhat” worried about the issue — nearly equal to the highest level recorded in 2008 (62 percent).

Likewise, Americans increasingly view global warming as a threat. Since Spring 2015, more Americans think it will harm people in developing countries (65 percent, +12 points), people in the U.S. (59 percent, +10 points), future generations (71 percent, +8 points), their own family (46 percent, +5 points), and themselves personally (41 percent, +5 points).

These findings come from a nationally representative survey (“Climate Change in the American Mind”) conducted by the F&ES-based Yale Program on Climate Change Communication and the George Mason University Center for Climate Change Communication.

“Despite the election of a president who has described global warming as a hoax, Americans are increasingly convinced global warming is happening and are more worried about it,” said lead researcher Anthony Leiserowitz of Yale University. “This indicates that on this issue, there is a growing gap between the views of the American public and the incoming Trump administration.”

. . . Seven in 10 Americans (70 percent) think global warming is happening, which nearly matches the highest level (71 percent) recorded in 2008. By contrast, only about one in eight Americans (13 percent) think global warming is not happening. Americans are also more certain it is happening — the proportion who are “extremely” or “very” sure global warming is happening (45 percent) is at its highest level since 2008.

Over half of Americans (55 percent) understand that global warming is mostly human caused, which is the highest level since 2008. By contrast, three in ten (30 percent) say it is due mostly to natural changes in the environment — the lowest level recorded since 2008.

Six in 10 Americans (61 percent) say the issue of global warming is either “extremely” (10 percent), “very” (17 percent), or “somewhat” (34 percent) important to them personally. Four in 10 (39 percent) say it is either “not too” (22 percent) or “not at all” (16 percent) important personally.

By a three-to-one margin, Americans say that schools should teach children about the causes, consequences, and potential solutions to global warming (76 percent agree vs. 24 percent who disagree).
=================

More people believe in ghosts then believe they will personally be affected by climate change.
Sounds about right.

As far as I know all Christians believe in ghosts. So that's a lot of people.

brenthutch

I really could not care less about what people think...

Is it a blessing or a curse to be omniscient, to know the truth about everything better than people who have spent their entire career actually doing research on a topic? On the other hand, everyone I've ever met in person who is certain they are the worlds expert on every subject have turned out not to be omniscient, they were just insufferable arrogant narcissistic dicks. No doubt you are the exception to that trend?

Don

Forgive me if I don't give much credence to polls.

Polls said the earth was the center of the universe, polls said whites were the superior race, polls said the earth is 5000 years old, polls elected Obama, polls elected Trump. Thank you very much but I would rather use the scientific method as my North Star.

Oh and BTW, when Michael Mann was introduced to me as "Mr. Global Warming" my biasometer went to eleven. A lifetime of advocacy for a position is a cause for incredulity not blind acceptance.

Polls said the earth was the center of the universe, polls said whites were the superior race, polls said the earth is 5000 years old, polls elected Obama, polls elected Trump. Thank you very much but I would rather use the scientific method as my North Star.

Too bad you so often ally yourself with the anti-science side of politics, then.

Oh and BTW, when Michael Mann was introduced to me as "Mr. Global Warming" my biasometer went to eleven.

Ah, so you had a feeling.

GeorgiaDon

***I really could not care less about what people think...

Is it a blessing or a curse to be omniscient, to know the truth about everything better than people who have spent their entire career actually doing research on a topic? On the other hand, everyone I've ever met in person who is certain they are the worlds expert on every subject have turned out not to be omniscient, they were just insufferable arrogant narcissistic dicks. No doubt you are the exception to that trend?

Don

Or you might mean people who have spent their entire career doing research funded by government grants. I've met plenty of college graduates who are just insufferable arrogant narcissistic dicks with a degree. ;)
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

billvon

Too bad you so often ally yourself with the anti-science side of politics, then.

Let me remind you that you often ally yourself on the anti vaccination, and anti GMO (AKA anti-science) side of politics.

airdvr

******I really could not care less about what people think...

Don

Or you might mean people who have spent their entire career doing research funded by government grants. I've met plenty of college graduates who are just insufferable arrogant narcissistic dicks with a degree. ;)

Agreed, military is full of them.

Here are two rules that can not be disputed.

1) The climate will change.

2) Man can not change rule #1.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Hi airdvr,

I've met plenty of college graduates who are just insufferable arrogant narcissistic dicks with a degree.

So have I. However, when it comes to 'insufferable arrogant narcissistic dicks,' I have concluded, based upon my life experiences, that there are a greater percentage of them in the group defined as non-college graduates.

Jerry Baumchen