christelsabine

POTUS

christelsabine

It is one professor's opinion and it is not only unprofessional, it is sensationalist. The diagnosis of it is not in the DSM, it is speculative and not recognized by psychiatry.

Malignant narcissism is a hypothetical, experimental diagnostic category. Narcissistic personality disorder is found in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV-TR), while malignant narcissism is not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malignant_narcissism

The story does not fit my definition of "false news". Because it is not made up. But it is lazy garbage journalism to report on it without at least strong qualifiers.

On the other hand, there can be little doubt that Trump is a narcissist of some sort.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

You cite DSM IV - AFAIK DSM V is under way, so maybe “malignant narcissism" can be found in the next edition. Or he refers to ICD 10 International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems, in chapter F you will find all mental disorders
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

feuergnom

You cite DSM IV - AFAIK DSM V is under way, so maybe “malignant narcissism" can be found in the next edition. Or he refers to ICD 10 International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems, in chapter F you will find all mental disorders

Since he is definitely speaking in a manner of making a professional diagnosis in a way forbidden by his profession, it makes little difference. It is speculative. As is any reference to the unfinished DSM V. AFAIK the next DSM is always under way. Like the next election.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

feuergnom

I don't need a degree or latest edition of a book. I think most people since ancient times have recognized people like this and avoided them if at all possible.

One need not be from Thespiae to recognize Narcissus.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I'm not entirely sure I'd classify it as "news".

More of an opinion/background piece.

However, I'd also not classify it as "Fake".

I'm not familiar with the site, but the links in the piece go to legit sites. The story is largely a repeat of a US News & World Report piece (Original is linked) The source quoted in the piece has a name and seems to be a real person.
I mentioned Critical Thinking and how it works in the "There are No Facts" thread. While I don't know of any comparable stories out there on this (unlike real "news" stories that are easily found at a number of sources) USN&WR is a reasonably credible source.

There's also the very simple fact that Trump's behavior certainly fits the bill. "Malignant Narcissism isn't an actual classification, but he fits the description (in one of the embedded links).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

This is true. The word "malignant" in the diagnosis of "malignant narcissism" changes the meaning significantly.

gowlerk

This is true. The word "malignant" in the diagnosis of "malignant narcissism" changes the meaning significantly.

I'm trying to wrap my head around what is "non-malignant narcissism."

Okay, I think one might make a case for say, Tony Stark, but then again he's a comic book hero.

I just don't see how the real world position of President of the United States can be held by someone on the scale of narcissism Trump has demonstrated so far and for it to be a good thing.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I just don't see how the position of President of the United States can be held by someone on the scale of narcissism Trump has demonstrated so far and for it to be a good thing.

Amen to that. Many of your people worship your constitution as perfection written by perfect men. Those who study it more deeply recognize it for the series of compromises that any such document must be. It appears that the system has faltered and allowed the Electoral College to be a liability in this case. The will of the people has been thwarted, and in a way that is potentially quite dangerous.

wolfriverjoe

I'm not entirely sure I'd classify it as "news".

More of an opinion/background piece.

However, I'd also not classify it as "Fake".

I'm not familiar with the site, but the links in the piece go to legit sites. The story is largely a repeat of a US News & World Report piece (Original is linked) The source quoted in the piece has a name and seems to be a real person.
I mentioned Critical Thinking and how it works in the "There are No Facts" thread. While I don't know of any comparable stories out there on this (unlike real "news" stories that are easily found at a number of sources) USN&WR is a reasonably credible source.

There's also the very simple fact that Trump's behavior certainly fits the bill. "Malignant Narcissism isn't an actual classification, but he fits the description (in one of the embedded links).

Correct. While medical professionals may have a standard to personally examine an individual. Its not a necessity. Conduct, statements, action and in-actions is sufficient.

Psychological profilers offer opinions on many subjects from the study of a single letter. A single action such as torturing an animal to death for personal enjoyment would be sufficient to most psychologists, to offer judgement.

Having said all that, so what. He is President of the United States and most people knew his personality before they entered the voting booth. He has had several books and biographies written about him and the consensus and person admission from him is that he has never had any real personal friends outside his family.

So what! Its who he is. I offered this on trump before. So this is really old news.
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/06/the-mind-of-donald-trump/480771/

"I just don't see how the real world position of President of the United States can be held by someone on the scale of narcissism Trump has demonstrated so far and for it to be a good thing."

I don't think that this is an election that can be described by only looking at the winner. Did the majority of those sixty million people choose Trump, or did they choose him over Clinton? I think that's an important distinction and one that needs to be looked at if the Democrats ever want back into the White House. In my opinion the only reason Trump is POTUS is that the DNC ran the one person that he could beat.

winsor

Be real.

The guy's a schmuck, which has long been a given.

Your point?

http://usuncut.com/politics/psychologists-explain-what-trumps-constant-lying-does-to-our-brains/

One of many. Wonder why you're asking???

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Bob_Church

I think it would be very interesting for him to do a similar, and honest, evaluation using the same guides and benchmarks of HRC.

Who cares as she is a postmark on history.

Here is a little story on weather and the mind of trump.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/in-trumps-mind-its-always-really-sunny-and-thats-terrifying/2017/01/27/ff0a6278-e499-11e6-a547-5fb9411d332c_story.html?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.4c0203f231eb

and further:

"There have been reasons to worry about other presidents’ mental health. Lyndon B. Johnson’s senior aides were so concerned about his behavior that they consulted psychiatrists. Nixon in the throes of Watergate was drunk and unstable, so much so that his defense secretary, James Schlesinger, reportedly ordered the military not to respond to White House orders without approval from him or the secretary of state. Still, other presidents’ outbursts occurred behind closed doors, and there was some hope that aides would intervene. Trump’s inner circle seems divided between enablers and inciters.

What is to be done? In a meeting last week with The Post editorial board, Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah), chair of the House Oversight Committee, said he was weighing legislation to require presidents to undergo an independent medical examination, including for mental health. Chaffetz cautioned that he wasn’t “talking about some of the rhetoric that’s flying around” about Trump. Still, he said, “If you’re going to have your hands on the nuclear codes, you should probably know what kind of mental state you’re in.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trumps-erratic-first-week-was-among-the-most-alarming-in-history/2017/01/27/c6405144-e4b9-11e6-a453-19ec4b3d09ba_story.html?utm_term=.da9a874f809f

Perhaps for the next president.

a diagnosis of a public figure without personally examining them

Bookseller. I'll wager every high ranking political figure since the beginning of recorded history could be diagnosed with varying degrees of the same malady.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

christelsabine

.... and this is what their neighbors actually think about The BigWig ...

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/29/europe/uk-petition-president-trump-ban-trnd/

This time, there are more than a million people, Mr. T. ! - but not to hail you :ph34r:

You must realize at this point that we don't really care.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

***.... and this is what their neighbors actually think about The BigWig ...

This time, there are more than a million people, Mr. T. ! - but not to hail you :ph34r:

Well thats completely TRUE trump supporters don't give a rats ass. They believe a 350 ship navy and US military personnel.

Will do what a huge coalition couldn't do. Defeat IS all on its own. In no time at all. Because they're smarter than everyone else.

Go it alone in the world because its a friend of Russia and the US doesn't need other friends, or allies. Just like trump doesn't.

That when dealing with China over trade, over the Chinese built islands in the South China sea. trump will go it alone with bannon by his side. Because they are so smart.
"DICKERSON: Do you feel like you know more about ISIS than the generals.

TRUMP: They don’t know much because they’re not winning, I you this they’re not winning for a different reason. I think Obama is hurting them.

TRUMP: From what I hear it’s being run from the White House. It’s all being run from the White House. I’ve spoken to certain generals— I’ll keep it quiet, highly respected people. we could knock them out fast."
http://www.breitbart.com/video/2016/06/05/trump-generals-dont-know-much-theyre-not-winning-isis/

You're right. trump said before that it can all be run out of the White House. You just run it all out of the White House and you don't need generals because they're "not winning".

They are so stupid those generals. That's why trump took them off the the Security Council and put bannon on it. There was another little general like trump. I think he was a corporal. He thought his General Staff was stupid too. He thought he could run it all out of, what was that? oh yeah the trumpenbunker.

That with walls and trade barriers they can just tell the world to go Fu*k off because the US is great again and only deals with others on their terms.

That executive orders will do all the founding fathers want to be done. Because trump doesn't care about the 45% of Republicans that disapprove of the job he's doing. Because he's so smart. Doing so great and its just SAD that more Americans disapprove of him than approve.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/5-political-numbers-to-watch/2017/01/5-numbers-trump-approval-ratings-234289

gowlerk

It is one professor's opinion and it is not only unprofessional, it is sensationalist. The diagnosis of it is not in the DSM, it is speculative and not recognized by psychiatry.

Malignant narcissism is a hypothetical, experimental diagnostic category. Narcissistic personality disorder is found in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV-TR), while malignant narcissism is not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malignant_narcissism

The story does not fit my definition of "false news". Because it is not made up. But it is lazy garbage journalism to report on it without at least strong qualifiers.

On the other hand, there can be little doubt that Trump is a narcissist of some sort.

Evidently this rule has now been changed because of trump!

I feel SAD for all the bad things I have said about trump. Its wrong to make fun of the mental medical issues of another person acting beyond their control. Just as trump made fun of the disabled reporter. I apologize!

"Donald Trump was accused in November last year of mocking a disabled reporter - but videos of his other speeches suggest that he performs the same impression for whoever he mocks.

Trump mocked New York Times journalist Serge F Kovaleskiat a South Carolina rally by making twitching arm and face movements - which the disabled reporter took as a personal slight.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3790226/Trump-s-impression-disabled-reporter-just-result-limited-repertoire-impressions.html

"Until recently, it was illegal for psychologists to assess public figures and talk to journalists about their findings. But this rule has now changed, and mental health experts are speaking out about Trump...

In December, three leading professors of psychiatry wrote to Barack Obama expressing their grave concerns over Trump's mental stability:

“His widely reported symptoms of mental instability - including grandiosity, impulsivity, hypersensitivity to slights or criticism, and an apparent inability to distinguish between fantasy and reality - lead us to question his fitness for the immense responsibilities of the office,” the professors from Harvard Medical School and the University of California wrote to the then President, urging him to order a “full medical and neuropsychiatric evaluation” of the then President-elect....

has a nine-point checklist for narcissism - if someone displays just five of the traits, they have Narcissistic Personality Disorder:

Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognised as superior without commensurate achievements).
Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love.
Believes that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions).
Requires excessive admiration.
Has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favourable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations.
Is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends.
Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognise or identify with the feelings and needs of others.
Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her.
Shows arrogant, haughty behaviours or attitudes.

Even Trump’s most ardent supporters might struggle to deny the President displays at least five of those characteristics.

Ok,OK I know of a couple here that won't have to struggle at all in denying trump's affliction with these terrible disorders. Perhaps an intervention is in order?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/donald-trump-mental-illness-narcisissm-us-president-psychologists-inauguration-crowd-size-paranoia-a7552661.html

airdvr

***.... and this is what their neighbors actually think about The BigWig ...

You should care about the danger of Trump's constant lying, though.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.