kallend

Another Wall St. insider nominated

This one really is a fox guarding the chicken coop.

www.nytimes.com/2017/01/04/business/dealbook/donald-trump-sec-jay-clayton.html?_r=0

And after repeatedly bashing Hillary for Goldman-Sachs speeches, Trump appoints yet another G-S guy.

An adviser to Goldman Sachs, Mr. Clayton would join several Wall Street alumni in serving in Mr. Trump’s administration. Steven Mnuchin, a former Goldman Sachs trader who runs his own hedge fund and invested in Hollywood movies before leading fund-raising for Mr. Trump during the election, has been nominated to be Treasury secretary. Wilbur Ross, the billionaire investor, has been picked as the next commerce secretary, while Gary D. Cohn, who was No. 2 at Goldman Sachs, will be Mr. Trump’s economic top policy adviser.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

www.nytimes.com/2017/01/04/business/dealbook/donald-trump-sec-jay-clayton.html?_r=0

And after repeatedly bashing Hillary for Goldman-Sachs speeches, Trump appoints yet another G-S guy.

An adviser to Goldman Sachs, Mr. Clayton would join several Wall Street alumni in serving in Mr. Trump’s administration. Steven Mnuchin, a former Goldman Sachs trader who runs his own hedge fund and invested in Hollywood movies before leading fund-raising for Mr. Trump during the election, has been nominated to be Treasury secretary. Wilbur Ross, the billionaire investor, has been picked as the next commerce secretary, while Gary D. Cohn, who was No. 2 at Goldman Sachs, will be Mr. Trump’s economic top policy adviser.

Shocked? No.

kallend

Well, see, you got it all wrong, Kallend. Trump used to say "drain the swamp", but all of the environmental libby lib libs always talk about wetland preservation, so he changed course and is now making sure the swamp is a thriving ecosystem.

But in all seriousness - as someone who works as a securities (and IP, but that's a different issue) lawyer, yeah, that fox is going to make sure the henhouse is totally safe. Totally. Safe.

(Seriously - even I - someone who is annoyed with the scope and breadth and complexity of securities laws because I actually have to deal with them on a daily basis - think this is an awful choice.)

I'll happily listen to any Trumpeter about how this choice is amazing and walk through exactly why they are wrong.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Skwrl

I'll happily listen to any Trumpeter about how this choice is amazing and walk through exactly why they are wrong.

Sadly, knowing your subject matter will make you an elitist "expert" who is "part of the problem"
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Stumpy

Sadly, knowing your subject matter will make you an elitist "expert" who is "part of the problem"

This!

People with education should not be trusted, they are all part of the problem.

What is being created is a mass of people blindly following authority, Trump in this case.

In other words, Trump is following in Obama's footsteps with a revolving door between Goldman Sachs and his administration.

Mary Jo White will be shocked to find out she previously worked for Goldman and didn't know it.

To be honest, this isn't an Obama vs. Trump thing; I dislike both of them, although I dislike Trump far, far more.

I wish people thought of politics in terms of actual policies ("What approaches work and what don't?") and not tribal identities ("My guy good! Your guy bad!"), but I suppose I'm wishing for an America that simply doesn't exist.

Anyway, this is a question of smart regulatory governance vs. well... not. To be clear, he's a very, very bright guy, but he's spent a career navigating exceptions to the securities law (e.g., private equity is, by definition, an exception to the Securities Act and the Securities Exchange Act), not actually enforcing. To make an over-simplistic analogy: you've asked the guy in charge of finding loopholes to make and enforce the rules. Expect small time investors (do any of you play the market? you'll be the ones who get hosed) to take the biggest hit.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

DrewEckhardt

In other words, Trump is following in Obama's footsteps

nonsense

1 - Trump wants to spend a lot of money on a public works effort like a wall, bridges, roads

2 - Trump is surrounding himself with a bunch of people that agree with him

3 - Trump thinks he's the smartest guy in the room

4 - Trump panders to his voting base

5 - Trump gained popularity by taking groups of people and treating them like they are nasty and despicable - in order to gain political popularity with certain demographics

6 - Trumps followers are smug and think they are smarter than all the others

7 - Trump will probably award companies and industries that he's favorable too.

8 - Trump comments a lot about policy even when he's not the president

not like the big O at all

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

nonsense

1 - Trump wants to spend a lot of money on a public works effort like a wall, bridges, roads

2 - Trump is surrounding himself with a bunch of people that agree with him

3 - Trump thinks he's the smartest guy in the room

4 - Trump panders to his voting base

5 - Trump gained popularity by taking groups of people and treating them like they are nasty and despicable - in order to gain political popularity with certain demographics

6 - Trumps followers are smug and think they are smarter than all the others

7 - Trump will probably award companies and industries that he's favorable too.

8 - Trump comments a lot about policy even when he's not the president

not like the big O at all

OMG, so when you describe people in a sufficiently vague manner they all start to sound alike? Heck, apart from the ones that only make sense with someone in office, all of those points apply to you too! So everyone is equally a bastard, everyone is equally awesome, and we're all exactly the same as each other!

You've given me a whole new worldview:)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

>So everyone is equally a bastard, everyone is equally awesome, and we're all
>exactly the same as each other!

That's the new paradigm. No one is better than anyone else. To suggest that one person is better or worse than another in any way is both unfair and really, really mean, and you will not be invited to any parties if you make judgments like that.

This now extends into the sciences as well. Anti-vaxxers? Climate change deniers? Creationists? Truthers? Flat earthers? You have to present both sides of any argument and weight them equally! Otherwise it's not "fair and balanced."

jakee

OMG, so when you describe people in a sufficiently vague manner they all start to sound alike? Heck, apart from the ones that only make sense with someone in office, all of those points apply to you too! So everyone is equally a bastard, everyone is equally awesome, and we're all exactly the same as each other!

You've given me a whole new worldview:)

if i didn't know you were such a sincere writer, I'd think you were being sarcastic like I hurt your little feelings. But I know better. So happy to be of service. and I think you are equally awesome if that helps.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

billvon

That's the new paradigm. No one is better than anyone else. To suggest that one person is better or worse than another in any way is both unfair and really, really mean, and you will not be invited to any parties if you make judgments like that.

This now extends into the sciences as well. Anti-vaxxers? Climate change deniers? Creationists? Truthers? Flat earthers? You have to present both sides of any argument and weight them equally! Otherwise it's not "fair and balanced."

you see the irony don't you?

billvon

>So everyone is equally a bastard, everyone is equally awesome, and we're all
>exactly the same as each other!

You know what is scary is how close all of this is to Atlas Shrugged!
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

rehmwa

if i didn't know you were such a sincere writer, I'd think you were being sarcastic like I hurt your little feelings. But I know better. So happy to be of service. and I think you are equally awesome if that helps.

Ohh, put those claws away little miss kitty kat, anyone would think I struck a nerve!:D

You know what the saddest thing about your current posting habits are? You're coming up with excuses for why you don't need to think about anything. Text: "Obama and Trump are just the same!" Subtext: "So we don't have to bother analysing anything they do, we already know there's no difference. They're politicians, therefore they equally suck!"

It's just so goddamn lazy. You can do so much better:|

jakee

You know what the saddest thing about your current posting habits are? You're coming up with excuses for why you don't need to think about anything. Text: "Obama and Trump are just the same!" Subtext: "So we don't have to bother analysing anything they do, we already know there's no difference. They're politicians, therefore they equally suck!"

you're actually pretty close. but it's just on this site. Maybe something fresh will come out soon. If not, just accept the cynicism, it's not totally unfounded if you watch the patterns.

As for it's 'not worth analyzing' But what we need "to do" is try something different, and stop rationalizing one side or the other of two incredibly terrible positions.

we'd learn a lot more if the typical lefties here started picking apart their own team, and vice versa instead of the same old crap every day

rehmwa

***You know what the saddest thing about your current posting habits are? You're coming up with excuses for why you don't need to think about anything. Text: "Obama and Trump are just the same!" Subtext: "So we don't have to bother analysing anything they do, we already know there's no difference. They're politicians, therefore they equally suck!"

you're actually pretty close.
Yeah, I know. That's why I said it.

but it's just on this site. Maybe something fresh will come out soon. If not, just accept the cynicism, it's not totally unfounded if you watch the patterns.

Sure it's not totally unfounded, mostly when discussing the behaviour of blocks of politicians, such as the group tactics of House Dems vs House Rs but it is almost totally unfounded when discussing individual politicians.