brenthutch

Drinking from a fire hose...

quade

***Just think what we could do if we had an administration that was not hostile to American energy independence.

The Obama administration was. Just not the flavor of you liked.

I liked the flavor that works, Obama favored the flavor that didn't.

Just compare the increase in solar and wind vs natural gas and shale oil.

brenthutch

They work "just fine" may be good enough for you, I prefer what works best.

And you again admit it's simply a preference on your part.

That's no basis for setting national policy.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***They work "just fine" may be good enough for you, I prefer what works best.

And you again admit it's simply a preference on your part.

That's no basis for setting national policy.

I would say that reality is a pretty good starting place for setting national policy.

brenthutch

***There are other forms of energy besides petroleum. They work just fine.

Rainbows and unicorn farts are best left to academia, as they fall far short in the real world.

"hy·per·bo·le
noun
exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally. "

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

normiss

Isn't there a $25,000 fine if caught towing any weight commercially with a deleted diesel?
Why would you want to dump that soot into the atmosphere?

"It essentially feeds burned exhaust back through my intake and into my combustion chamber."
I LOVE turbos!
:P

I have no idea what laws apply to commercial vehicles as I do not operate one. And the reasoning for "dumping that soot into the atmosphere" is that it clogs the intake system as well as the exhaust system. The exhaust isn't so much of a big deal, but the PCV ventilates into the intake as well as the EGR causing a nice oily home for particulate to live.

I don't know what to make of your last comment. Are you unsure of how a turbocharger works?
Muff #5048

DanG

From what I understand the engine would run more efficiently and I would get much better fuel economy.

What is your clearly theoretical understanding of how this process would affect your emissions?

I wouldn't care about my emissions. I don't have exact manufacturing figures to back it up, but I would think that far more emissions would be generated in creating replacement parts, that would have otherwise not needed replacement, than a vehicle like mine would generate.
Muff #5048

brenthutch

The Obama administration was. Just not the flavor of you liked.

I liked the flavor that works, Obama favored the flavor that didn't.

I can't be the only one who thought this. Yeaaa boooy!
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

kallend

******There are other forms of energy besides petroleum. They work just fine.

Rainbows and unicorn farts are best left to academia, as they fall far short in the real world.

"hy·per·bo·le
noun
exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally. "

That was mockery, not hyperbole. Obviously you were not an English professor.

I wouldn't care about my emissions.

Nice.

I don't have exact manufacturing figures to back it up, but I would think that far more emissions would be generated in creating replacement parts, that would have otherwise not needed replacement, than a vehicle like mine would generate.

Your position is that diesel engines users are constantly having to replace parts because of these environmental laws? Why on Earth would anyone use a diesel engine? They seem so unreliable and expensive to maintain!

How many times have you had to replace any of the internal components of your diesel engine?

- Dan G

quade

trump doesn't like renewable energy because:
"His company the Trump Organisation previously lost two legal bids in the Scottish courts after ministers approved proposals for an 11-turbine scheme which Mr Trump said would spoil the view from his course.

He took his case to the Supreme Court, where justices unanimously dismissed his appeal."
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-38069605

Clearly this investor-weak-loser. Knows nothing about renewables.That's trump speak for a billionaire who has a net worth of 73 billion vr. trumps 3 billion. Who gave away to the Gates charity over $50 billion alone and $20 billion to other charities. I speak of Warren Buffet. His integrated oil,gas,energy company has 2020 installed wind turbines.
https://www.berkshirehathawayenergyco.com/our-businesses/midamerican-energy-company and has now ordered 1000 more.
http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/blog/earth_to_power/2016/06/vestas-scores-massive-order-for-warren-buffett.html

Buffet will have among the most wind turbines when this is complete.

trumps charity giving? To himself, to his vanity.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/how-donald-trump-retooled-his-charity-to-spend-other-peoples-money/2016/09/10/da8cce64-75df-11e6-8149-b8d05321db62_story.html?utm_term=.f84af3a4dd9c

Then of course there is this Republican oil billionaire.

"T. Boone Pickens's office is a shrine to a life of Texas power and wealth: framed Western landscapes, a portrait of his platinum-haired wife, photos signed by Republican presidents...

Listening to all of your environmental ideas, it sounds like you're the Al Gore of Texas Republicans.
Don't connect me to Al Gore! A lot of what he says just doesn't make sense. Texans know I'm environmentally directed in some ways. But I'm realistic about what's going on. Industry people are comfortable with me. Gore talks about getting rid of the combustion engine. I don't talk about that....

You recently announced plans to build the world's largest wind farm, in the panhandle. Is that about money or the environment?
Money! First thing, it's about money. Of course, I'm also a good environmentalist. I can pass the saliva test. But I'm not going to go do a 4,000-megawatt wind farm for the environment first and money second. I'd rather go give money someplace else. You're talking about $10 billion...

What kind of return do you expect?
A minimum of 15%. It'll probably be closer to 25%."

https://www.fastcompany.com/849689/texas-oil-tycoon-tackles-renewable-energy

The bold highlights are for Brent's attention!

I can understand why you would be in favour of improved performance for your truck at the small cost of the particulate matter pollution of the air. But are you good with every diesel engine doing the same? Have you seen the pictures of Beijing, or do you remember the LA smog?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I have no problem with companies allocating capital as they seem fit. If it works they will be rewarded if it fails they will be punished, by the market; that is how capitalism works. I take issue with bureaucrats in Washington DC picking winners and losers.

I have no problem with companies allocating capital as they seem fit. If it works they will be rewarded if it fails they will be punished, by the market;

That's how the academic version of capitalism works yes. That's the theory. Reality has shown it doesn't, over and over again.