StreetScooby

So, my thread has been blocked...

billvon

>No your example is based off of friendship or stranger not race.

Ding ding! You got it in one!

And THAT will continue. And no amount of people saying "but if two friends can say 'nigger' to each other, then I should be able to call them 'niggers' too!" will change that.

If two women are playfully calling each other "bitch" in public a third person may try and do so playfully as well, possibly as an icebreaker thinking that's acceptable to them.

In your scenario, does it matter whether that third person is male or female as far as their reaction?
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

>In your scenario, does it matter whether that third person is male or female as far as
>their reaction?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. What will matter far more is how well the person knows the two women involved, and who they are.

If it's a male cameraman who knows them both very well, and has been videoing them all day, and calls one of them a bitch after she doesn't get him a beer? Reaction would likely vary from nothing to laughter.

If it's a woman reporter who has never been to the DZ? She'd probably get a glare, perhaps even a "who the hell are you?"

billvon

>No your example is based off of friendship or stranger not race.

Ding ding! You got it in one!

And THAT will continue. And no amount of people saying "but if two friends can say 'nigger' to each other, then I should be able to call them 'niggers' too!" will change that.

I can see the point you are trying to put across. Now I am not trying to justify why I should be able to say nigger because I don't say that word verry often and when I do it is in a conversation like this.

But the word bitch and nigger are not treated any where near the same. I as a white male can stand in a group of people and complaint about some bitch ripping me off or how some hitch at work makes my life misserable because of her demands. And get replies of they understand and there is All ways a few that will make you life misserable.

Now if I change that word from bitch to nigger I get a huge different response. I just might get my ads kicked, or worse.

I am not defending use of either but they are on different planes of offensivness.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

>Now if I change that word from bitch to nigger I get a huge different response. I just
>might get my ads kicked, or worse.

Right. Or change it to "cunt" and you will also get a very different response - especially if there are women there. Why is that? Why is it worse to refer to a woman by a term describing part of the female anatomy than to a female dog? Because of how it is used in society; "cunt" is used specifically to offend. Saying "but no, you CAN'T be offended; calling you a cunt is no more offensive than me calling you an ovary!" might just also get your ass kicked (or pepper sprayed, or if they're more mature types, just shunned.)

Now try talking to that group and instead of saying "nigger" say "he's a cotton-picking idiot." You'd probably get a laugh, even though "cotton picker" was a pre-civil-war racial slur. Why wouldn't they be offended by a racial slur? Because over the past century almost no one has used that to try to offend people. A great many people have used "nigger" specifically to try to offend.

That's why some words are offensive and some aren't - because people use them specifically to offend. If this bothers you, then start a campaign to get people to stop using it offensively, and its power to offend (and outrage) will fade, just as "cotton picking" has.

billvon

>Now if I change that word from bitch to nigger I get a huge different response. I just

Right. Or change it to "cunt" and you will also get a very different response - especially if there are women there. Why is that? Why is it worse to refer to a woman by a term describing part of the female anatomy than to a female dog? Because of how it is used in society; "cunt" is used specifically to offend. Saying "but no, you CAN'T be offended; calling you a cunt is no more offensive than me calling you an ovary!" might just also get your ass kicked (or pepper sprayed, or if they're more mature types, just shunned.)

Now try talking to that group and instead of saying "nigger" say "he's a cotton-picking idiot." You'd probably get a laugh, even though "cotton picker" was a pre-civil-war racial slur. Why wouldn't they be offended by a racial slur? Because over the past century almost no one has used that to try to offend people. A great many people have used "nigger" specifically to try to offend.

That's why some words are offensive and some aren't - because people use them specifically to offend. If this bothers you, then start a campaign to get people to stop using it offensively, and its power to offend (and outrage) will fade, just as "cotton picking" has.

Keep moving Thoose goal posts.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

billvon

So a nun and middle age man are sitting next to each other while flying cross country, they are both working on crossword puzzles. The
nun ask the man if he knows of a four letter word that describes a certain type of women, with the last three letters being *unt. The man thinks for a couple of seconds and then replies, "Of course, that would be aunt" To which the nun replied, "Damn it, can I borrow your eraser?"

wmw999

either let everybody say or nobody

yeah, kind of like how skydivers aren't allowed to say "hey asshole!"

Wendy P.

Careful where you yell that!
If you yell that on the packing mat, everyone will stand up and ask "What the bleep do you want?" pause to watch brightly-coloured things fall out of the sky and forget what they were doing ..... Chaos ensues ....
Hah!
Hah!

riggerrob

either let everybody say or nobody

yeah, kind of like how skydivers aren't allowed to say "hey asshole!"

Wendy P.

Careful where you yell that!
If you yell that on the packing mat, everyone will stand up and ask "What the bleep do you want?" pause to watch brightly-coloured things fall out of the sky and forget what they were doing ..... Chaos ensues ....
Hah!
Hah!

Years ago my parents were out taking a Sunday drive and they decided to pop in at Zhills. (they lived just down the road). While we were standing around talking, someone who had just arrived was walking up and yelled "Hey Asshole!". Almost everyone there responded in unison, "WHAT !?" . My dad thought that was just about the funniest thing he ever heard.

ETA - He told me that his first "real" job after graduating from high school was working for a plumber who was one of the contractors building the airbase at Zephyrhills.

Bolas

***>Not the point. Asshole is not a homophobic, racial, sexist, nor ethnic slur.

So you are OK with that double standard.

Here's another one. On a certain 8 way team I was once doing video for, two female members used to call each other "bitch" all the time - surely a sexist slur. They thought it was funny. But if you call the woman at the DMV a bitch, she'd get mad! Another double standard.

How is asshole a double standard? What DNA group is specifically targetted by it?

DNA group?
Mammals.
Pretty much all living things.

Why are you that much of a hater that you hate ALL LIFE?

I need my safe space!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

normiss

Depends on the style of chili IMO.

Cincinnati? Sure.
Texas red? Not so much.
Mexican? Definitely not.

3 alarm, ground beef and steak cube chili, with fresh chopped vidalia onions, sharp cheddar cheese, and oyster crackers.

#OysterLivesMatter
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Powder spices in chili is cheating resulting in weak flavors.

I much prefer to stop at the local Latin grocery store for anchos, pasillas, costeños, guajillos, chiles de arbol, y chipotles in adobo.
Costeños have been difficult to find lately though.
Blend with beer after reconstituting the chilis.

normiss

Powder spices in chili is cheating resulting in weak flavors.

I much prefer to stop at the local Latin grocery store for anchos, pasillas, costeños, guajillos, chiles de arbol, y chipotles in adobo.
Costeños have been difficult to find lately though.
Blend with beer after reconstituting the chilis.

The beer tends to diminish the raw heat and flavor.

normiss

There is no raw heat with aged powdered chilis!
:P
It's like buying pre-ground ancient black pepper with "fillers".

regardless the beer kills it - I don't know why - Try a burgundy next time - really interesting flavor change.

normiss

After all the years of perfecting my 7 chile chili, no way!
The Negra Modelo, the Abuelita Mexican hot chocolate shavings, and the dark coffee are a must, much like the 7 chiles (or 6 as I usually end up :D)

Closed Minded - Typical liberal - (Better Ryoder?)

Experiment with a different recipe -

That does sound good - but there must be variety in this world.

normiss

That's when I break into the Texas Red style!

Hey Yoder, we're still talking color.
:P

Which is - of course - the best . . . Because - Texas - Ye haw.

They'd have to build a wall around the restrooms though . . .
(See what I did there)