StreetScooby

So, my thread has been blocked...

We don't need an amendment for the draft. The idea does include pay, though.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'd submit a year of national service (not necessarily military) when someone turns 18 or finishes high school (if they've dropped out they still serve). Just like in the military, CCC, or other programs, it's NOT close to home, and NOT with all the friends.

Yep, maybe even 2 years. Too many people have lost sight of the fact that children need to be taught that it means something good to be an American.
We are all engines of karma

The housing crisis came about and now there is nowhere else to turn, but to print money out of our ass.

The Senate's inquiry into the mortgage crisis, and the subsequent report, were really well done, IMO. Here's the link to the report. I managed to read it over the course of a 3 day weekend (...it's all I did that weekend):
The Financial Crisis Inquiry Report

Bottom line, the entire infrastructure for that market rotted. Read the Pinto dissent to gain more insight into how not to do this. Pinto was CFO for Freddie Mac at the time, and he nails it.

I don't believe the small subset of black people that has been the focus of this thread were impacted by that crisis, though.

This is interesting. I thought I was familiar with the use of the n-word by black people in reference to other black people, but when I started listening to this song, I was sure I was not hearing the words correctly, so I googled the lyrics; They really are using the n-word in reference to Donald Trump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkZ5e94QnWk
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'm not all that "street," but I do believe they might have something against Trump. I dunno. Was pretty subtle. :)
Also, they got some unity going between the Crips and Bloods and did it in front of Canter's Deli, so . . . that's amazing.

quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

billvon

How do you figure?

There are many powers the government should not have. Deciding who gets to reproduce is very close to the top of the list.

I agree. I leave that choice to the indigent - if you want to go on the dole, you can't do so if fertile. If the ability to reproduce is more important to you than is public support, that's a win-win - you stay fertile and self-sufficient.

The "War on Poverty" turning kids into a cash crop has had entirely predictable consequences. My approach is nothing more than an official 'if you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em' policy.

Again, if you have a better idea, I'm all ears.

BTW, reducing the population to sustainable levels is of orders of magnitude greater significance than addressing "Climate Change." Worrying about greenhouse gases is on a par with focusing on the cholesterol numbers of a patient in a burn unit with burns over 80% of their body. Sure, it's an issue, but greenhouse gases => climate change is symptomatic of other fundamental problems.

Anyone who views 'Global Warming' - by whatever name - as the chief concern of mankind is desperately in need of a clue.

StreetScooby

A poignant summation.

I have mixed feelings about the solution to the problem. I know it's possible to fix it, but the uncertainty in America's future right now seems to create a tendency to leave these issues on the back burner until other underlying issues are sorted out.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

StreetScooby

I don't believe the small subset of black people that has been the focus of this thread were impacted by that crisis, though.

Interestingly enough, I think the housing crisis may have actually helped the problem - at least in Detroit.

At that time, Detroit was facing two issues - the housing crisis and the automotive bankruptcies. This resulted in many suburbanites losing their jobs and their homes. Many took early retirement, while others took advantage of unemployment insurance. They used this as an opportunity to move further north into developing rural areas an simplify their lives.

Likewise, about 200,000 people living in Detroit saw this as an opportunity to move into those discounted suburban homes in areas that had better schools, with a better influence that provided an overall better quality of life.

Now while this didn't necessarily solve the cycle of violence in Detroit, it did significantly reduced a segment of the population that is subjected to, and influenced/impacted by that violent sub-culture.

This is also a good example of why crime stats aren't always reliable. After the housing crisis and bankruptcies we see a spike in the crime rate, but this is more likely due to the drop in population that is skewing the numbers. I seriously doubt that violent criminals were among the 200k that high-tailed out of Detroit as soon as they saw the opportunity.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

quade

I'm not all that "street," but I do believe they might have something against Trump. I dunno. Was pretty subtle. :)
Also, they got some unity going between the Crips and Bloods and did it in front of Canter's Deli, so . . . that's amazing.

Here is the sanitized version they did on Larry Wilmore's "The Nightly Show" a couple days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKoJKy-7RGE:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

subset of the inner-city Negro population.

I continue to "furnace forge" my thoughts on this matter, and the quoted phrase above, albeit a long one, encompasses the group of people who are violent and are being legitimized by the Obama administration. And cops are being hunted now.

These programs supporting this population are an industry.

I have managed to dig deeper into the "cottage" schools in my area, the "chancellor" of which is taking home $750,000 in pay each year.

This organization is bringing in $119 million dollars per year. The breakdown, for around 350 "children" follows:
1) Government revenue - $70 million dollars
2) Medicaid - $30 million dollars
3) Private support (etc.) - $5 million dollars
4) Investment income - $10 million dollars

That works out to over $325,000 dollars per "child".

I am beyond stunned right now. I'm appalled.

Ron has a valid point, without a doubt. This is an industry.

And, our town police department are there around 6 times per day, for events that cops need to be called for.

StreetScooby

And cops are being hunted now.

This doesn't appear to be the case, at least not in any way related to the Black Lives Matter group. I'll admit there are almost always some isolated wackos out there who will ambush a cop, but it doesn't seem to be true that there is any coordinated or systemic issue stemming from the BLM movement to do so.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***And cops are being hunted now.

This doesn't appear to be the case, at least not in any way related to the Black Lives Matter group. I'll admit there are almost always some isolated wackos out there who will ambush a cop, but it doesn't seem to be true that there is any coordinated or systemic issue stemming from the BLM movement to do so.

And, there is no reason to believe the Obama administration is legitimizing any form of violence against cops. That is utter nonsense and fear mongering.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

...reference to Donald Trump

I try and read several newspapers per day, in print (...outside of what I read on the internet). My ride into and out of the city each day affords me this time (including a bit of time at the local pub to decompress :)1) NY Post - a conservative newspaper.
2) NY Daily News - a reliably moderate liberal newspaper, that goes unstable when discussing guns, and now Donald Trump.
3) Wall Street Journal - another conservative newspaper.

The NY Daily News is now reporting that Donald and Putin are in cahoots.

It is beyond ridiculous.

The NY Daily News is now reporting that Donald and Putin are in cahoots.

It is beyond ridiculous.

It is ridiculous. Putin is a very disciplined professional. He would never make the mistake of conspiring with a fool like Trump. But he might try to support him as a way of undermining the US.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

There are many powers the federal government should not have.

+1

Deciding who gets to reproduce is very close to the top of the list.

Wow, what a confusing statement coming from you in the current context of this thread.

Over my time on this website, I've had the privilege to have had substantive conversations with you that impressed upon me you knew what you're talking about, from which I profited, ... when it comes to technical topics (...and there have been many we've discussed).

Evolutionary pressures. It's what we evolved to do, and it is our "default" behavior.

So, out of curiosity, how did you become such a "compassionate" person?
And, yes I mean the quotes right now. We'll resolve that later.

Would it be logical to do after a dispassionate consideration of available resources, desired quality of life and a judgment of what would be best for one's (hypothetical) children? No. But that's logic vs. basic behavioral drives.

You sound like winsor, not that there's anything wrong with that.

I know it's possible to fix it, but the uncertainty in America's future right now seems to create a tendency to leave these issues on the back burner until other underlying issues are sorted out.

Politically I am "non-affiliated", and have been for decades.
I view myself as a moderate conservative, and a fiscal hawk.

The Obama administration has doubled the debt of America over the course of his two terms.

During Obama's first run, I would have conversations with liberal folks about America's debt.
Every single one of them scoffed at it, and said it didn't matter.
And I would be gob smacked. How do you continue that conversation?

Every western democracy, especially us, is poised for a catastrophic financial event.
One that will fundamentally alter our quality of life, in material ways.
And it is dialed in.
The Federal Reserve Bank may soon start charging negative interest rates.
And other central banks are now charging negative interest.
And they get up in front of cameras, and make it sound like they know what they're doing.
Even worse, they want more control over our lives.
Hey, no more $100 bills.
You want to take you money out of the bank because of negative interest rates?
Bring a wheel barrow, because we're giving you all 20s, $1000/day at time.
If, the bank manager approves it.

Those $325,000 "children" simply will not be sustainable.
That will happen in our life time if America stays on its current path.

At that time, Detroit was facing two issues - the housing crisis and the automotive bankruptcies. This resulted in many suburbanites losing their jobs and their homes. Many took early retirement, while others took advantage of unemployment insurance. They used this as an opportunity to move further north into developing rural areas an simplify their lives.

Curious, how do you know they moved north?

...by that violent sub-culture...

What ever verbiage ends up being developed in this thread, so that we can have the conversation America needs to have, must have the "violence component" explicit in its context. Right now, while Chris Rock can use the unspeakable-word, we can't. But, we need to have a speakable-word to actually have the conversation. It's critical, and we really need to figure this out.

If we can't have this conversation in Speaker's Corner, then we can't have this conversation anywhere in America, IMO.