melch

Coddling of the American Mind

Off course that's not all most likely not even most but its a trait that has noticeably increased.

How do you know? Were you around to notice the differences betwen previous generations and compare them to the current ones? If not how do you know whether your perception is accurate or if you're just getting grumpier in your old age?

Also i am old school man, if your a dude to me you should know how to drive stick, change a tier, kill food ect(you get what i mean).

The thing about these arguments are that they don't recognise that the world is constantly changing, and therefore things that are useful to know change too.

Why should someone learn to drive a stick if all they'll ever drive are automatics? Why should people still know how to do an oil change when modern engines can run for huge distances without one compared to models from a few decades ago?

It's no more valid than saying older generations were less intelligent because granddad can't/won't learn to use the internet.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

How do you know? Were you around to notice the differences betwen previous generations and compare them to the current ones?

This is why we never get anywhere....Has anyone lived between all the previous generations? If that's your standard of proof then No no one should say anything unless they are immortal.

There are many ways to know as we have things that are standardized in a society. How they coped and the new gens cope is an ok Indicator. Nothing is perfect and at the end of the day everyone is an individual.

If not how do you know whether your perception is accurate or if you're just getting grumpier in your old age?

You might have something here i wont deny it.:)

Why should someone learn to drive a stick if all they'll ever drive are automatics? Why should people still know how to do an oil change when modern engines can run for huge distances without one compared to models from a few decades ago?

Because things do change, and not always for the better, Self Reliance. Also your a god damn Man not just a male. I expect men to know such things and get their hands dirty. I am a fucking dinosaur;).
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

DanG

What have you done that makes you so damn tough?

He was raised by rabid wolves. And they were raised by alligators.

Don

... a giant waist of time.

A point in the history of the universe between the nipple of time and the taint of time?

...change a tier

Hmmm. Would that be the top tier, or the bottom tier, or somewhere in between? How many tiers does this tower have, anyway? Why do you want to change just one tier, it'd be a lot easier to tear down the whole structure and build a whole new tower.

Don

turtlespeed

*********I call it the wussification of America. It is political correctness run amok. The whole attitude and movement is not beneficial to our society.

When I was growing up it was considered part of the maturation process to learn to take a punch. Now we are obsessed with not having our feelings hurt.

C'mon kids, get over it. Learn to stand on your own two feet, wipe your own ass, feed yourself and maybe, just maybe, you will become a responsible, productive member of the real world.

Oh yeah, learn how to use a weapon and get a concealed carry permit.

Awe we, maybe they just need a hug.
Do you need a hug Ron?

Anyone else need a hug?

I need a hug. Someone called me a faggot on the interwebz and I haven't left my house in 6 days because I'm so scared.

Is that offensive or scary?

Both.

There are many ways to know as we have things that are standardized in a society. How they coped and the new gens cope is an ok Indicator.

So what are these standard things that aren't being coped with?

Because things do change, and not always for the better,

Things have changed. That's the point.

So kids these days can't drive stick. I bet 70 years ago there were plenty of crusty old guys bitching about how the soft kids these days can only drive cars and no-one knows how to hitch a horse to a carriage anymore. Yeah, things change.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

>Also i am old school man, if your a dude to me you should know how to drive
>stick, change a tier, kill food ect(you get what i mean).

And there's plenty of kids out there who think that if you can't set up a PPP connection, train a Homelink receiver or pair a BLE peripheral, you should be sent to the old folk's home before you hurt someone.

Darius11

LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n34eeXWjUQ

"Doug Stanhope - This Generation Sucks "

I wonder how much effect Pharmaceuticals have had?

I cant think of one person i knew who was on any pills when i was growing up, now you have to think who isn't on something for something.

That was hilarious.

Another funny vid:

Modern Educayshun

http://youtu.be/iKcWu0tsiZM
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Maybe, instead, a Real Person (rather than just male ones) needs to be able to identify and then execute the physical skills needed to deal with immediate problems in today's world. Physical because that's the facet that was highlighted.

The identification part is important. I can still drive a stick pretty much any old POS car out there, with just about any ongoing problem possible. Mainly because I drove a series of serious heaps for ten years :P, and kept most of them running.

Up in these parts, Real Men can run chainsaws, and have plows on their trucks.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Up in these parts, Real Men can run chainsaws, and have plows on their trucks.

Wendy P.

wusses

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

JohnnyMarko

************I call it the wussification of America. It is political correctness run amok. The whole attitude and movement is not beneficial to our society.

When I was growing up it was considered part of the maturation process to learn to take a punch. Now we are obsessed with not having our feelings hurt.

C'mon kids, get over it. Learn to stand on your own two feet, wipe your own ass, feed yourself and maybe, just maybe, you will become a responsible, productive member of the real world.

Oh yeah, learn how to use a weapon and get a concealed carry permit.

Awe we, maybe they just need a hug.
Do you need a hug Ron?

Anyone else need a hug?

I need a hug. Someone called me a faggot on the interwebz and I haven't left my house in 6 days because I'm so scared.

Is that offensive or scary?

Both.

Why so scared? Didn't you buy a gun?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Some more nonsense, this time from Canada.

Condensed version:
1. Instructor has offered free yoga classes at the University of Ottawa for 7 years.
2. Some students got concerned about "cultural appropriation"; yoga is originally from India but instructor is neither Indian nor Hindu. Implication is anyone teaching yoga who is not directly connected to historical origin has "appropriated" (= "stolen") cultural property.
3. As a result class is cancelled.
4. Class may be offered in future once "issues are resolved". (Code for "once we find an instructor who is Indian and Hindu", I suspect).
5. Members of Hindu community did not complain and have no problem with class as it was offered. Complaints come from "culturally sensitive" students.

Good job. I guess they won that one. If you can regard cancelling (in the name of political correctness) a free class that benefited a lot of people a "win".

Don

GeorgiaDon

Some more nonsense, this time from Canada.

Condensed version:
1. Instructor has offered free yoga classes at the University of Ottawa for 7 years.
2. Some students got concerned about "cultural appropriation"; yoga is originally from India but instructor is neither Indian nor Hindu. Implication is anyone teaching yoga who is not directly connected to historical origin has "appropriated" (= "stolen") cultural property.
3. As a result class is cancelled.
4. Class may be offered in future once "issues are resolved". (Code for "once we find an instructor who is Indian and Hindu", I suspect).
5. Members of Hindu community did not complain and have no problem with class as it was offered. Complaints come from "culturally sensitive" students.

Good job. I guess they won that one. If you can regard cancelling (in the name of political correctness) a free class that benefited a lot of people a "win".

Don

I see your yoga crapletude and raise you one "University of Minnesota rejects a simple 9/11 remembrance".

http://www.mediaite.com/print/university-of-minnesota-rejects-911-remembrance-over-islamaphobia-and-safe-space-concerns/

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

kallend

Thank goodness I teach in a tech school. Our students are worked too hard to have time for such stupidity.

Plus they actually have a chance to get a job making enough money to pay off their student loans. :P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Bolas

Thank goodness I teach in a tech school. Our students are worked too hard to have time for such stupidity.

Plus they actually have a chance to get a job making enough money to pay off their student loans. :P

That too.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.