Driver1

Another mass shooting...

gowlerk

Sorry Ron, that is not how the left thinks.

Exactly! A left winger tends to think with their uterus.

Is that the best you can do today?

Look up the etymology of the word "hysteria."

It's all about feelings, whoa, whoa, whoa, feelings (I like the Offspring's take...)

I don't need to. It's common knowledge. Do right wing thinkers have a monopoly on masculinity in your thinking?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

RonD1120

Right wingies think it because that is the first thing the progressive left Democratic leaders in Congress stark talking about.

In this forum kallend is the first to bring it up. Then billvon and you chime in. Of course you don't actually say confiscate all guns, you use the dog whistle phrase of expanding control of sales to eliminate guns falling into the hands of undesirable citizens.

I learned a new term this week and I used it in a sentence.

Gun confiscation is what you really want.

No, it isn't. No matter how many times you repeat it, that's not the goal. Paranoid fear mongering doesn't help the discussion, and it tends to make comments ignored once the nonsense starts. Stop being dishonest.

BTW, you used 'stark' incorrectly, so I'm not sure you learned anything. :P

Lawndarter

***Right wingies think it because that is the first thing the progressive left Democratic leaders in Congress stark talking about.

Can you cite a single example of an Democratic leader in Congress ever in any way, directly or indirectly, suggesting that gun confiscation as their goal?

Yes. Diane Feinstein.

In the late 80s & early 90s, gun control was gaining a lot of momentum.

The Brady Bill passed, the AWB passed, and more was on the docket.

There was a congress creature who held up a scoped hunting rifle on the floor and called it a "sniper rifle", indicating it needed to be further restricted (can't find the story on that one).

Look up "Brady Bill Part 2" to see what was proposed.
And most gun control advocates called that "just the beginning".
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

yoink

Besides, the way modern politics works is when there's a mass shooting gun sales increase because of the political upheaval it creates. I think we're pretty well versed that the rate of mass killings has zero effect on ....

Actually, it looks like this is incorrect, or at least only partially correct - my family owns a gun store in LA and there wasn't any upsurge in sales after the Vegas shooting and I don't expect one after this.

Every time there was a shooting incident when Obama was in office there was a huge upsurge to buy guns, ammo and modifications because the expectation was that some sort of legislation would be introduced in response. We're not seeing that type of reaction with a Republican government... The sales we're seeing suggest that gun owners don't think anything will change.

I think the entire gun industry said, "oh shit" when Trump said this:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/04/28/donald-trump-national-rifle-association-convention/101021848/
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

winsor

I don't need to. It's common knowledge.

Oh, I'm sure it is.

Be that as it may. Do right wing thinkers have a monopoly on masculinity in your thinking?

I wouldn't know. Left wing nonthinkers seem to have the market cornered on illogic in lieu of thinking.

Well, if that is true you must be left wing today. Because are displaying a lack of logic. There is none at all in that statement. Merely opinion.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I'd be good with ZERO public mass murders, ZERO bump fire stocks permitted, and ZERO public access to full auto weapons.

No, it isn't. No matter how many times you repeat it, that's not the goal.

The only sure way to get to “ZERO public mass murders” is zero guns.

I am reminded of Obelixtim’s post in the US Air Traffic Control Vote in Congress thread; “But that might have been their intention all along. The lesson is to fight all the way..... “

Start with enforcing penalties for existing laws to prosecute irresponsible gun owners, new restrictions to prevent access to rapid fire military type weapons and accessories that enable semi-autos a similar function , universal background checks on ALL transfers of weapons.
We'd probably be wise to include some increased security measures at all public functions, making us ALL sacrifice more for the support of the second.
All because dead people. I'm sure they would gladly trade their sacrifice for ours.

What happens when there is another mass murder after the above is adopted?

Derek V

>The only sure way to get to “ZERO public mass murders” is zero guns.

He didn't say the goal should be zero public mass murders. He said he would be good with zero mass murders. So would I. I would be surprised if that wasn't true for you as well; surely mass murders do not make you happy.

>What happens when there is another mass murder after the above is adopted?

If the number of mass murders goes down, then it has partially succeeded.

More serious studies to identify ways to reduce them, as we should all be interested in seeing those numbers reduced significantly.
We've put forth a LOT of serious efforts to reduce risk of life in this country, I'm lost on why guns get such a pass on reducing deaths.

Hooknswoop

He didn't say the goal should be zero public mass murders.

Oh. OK. Then what is the eventual goal? 10 mass murders/year? 5? 1?

Derek V

How about less than a mass shooting a day? Maybe get closer to Somalia shooting incidents? How's that for a goal?

>What is the eventual goal?

A reduction in shooting deaths.

You have been very vocal about your desire to see AFF JCC standards toughened up. What's your goal there? 10% fewer canopy collisions? 10% fewer AFF students graduated? If there's no quantifiable goal, does that mean there is no value in increasing restrictions/requirements on candidates?