ryoder

Boehner Will Resign from Congress

ryoder

He's sticking to his values. Agree with the values, or not, at least he is consistent.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Hope the next one is at least as much of a grownup as Boehner is. No guarantees, though...

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

ryoder

This from Robert Reich:

Actually I’m amazed John Boehner survived as long as he has. His one virtue as Speaker of the House has been his total lack of principle, which has enabled him to cobble together majorities or pluralities out of a Party that’s gone off the rails, becoming increasingly misogynist, homophobic, anti-immigrant, and anti-Muslim; filled with paranoid whackos, voodoo economists, anti-science half-brains, creationists, and white supremists; while being financed by billionaires, Wall Street, and big business.

The problem for the rest of us right now is they’re still a majority in Congress, and many are aiming to close down the government unless Planned Parenthood is defunded -- and then to default on the nation’s debt rather than lift the debt limit.

John Boehner will not go down in history as one of America's greatest Speakers of the House, but at least he served as something of a buffer between the Republican crazies and the rest of America. (This morning when Marco Rubio announced Boehner's plan to retire, attendees at the Values Voter Summit in Washington roared their approval and then rose in a standing ovation.) After the end of October, that buffer is gone.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

This from Robert Reich:

Actually I’m amazed John Boehner survived as long as he has. His one virtue as Speaker of the House has been his total lack of principle, which has enabled him to cobble together majorities or pluralities out of a Party that’s gone off the rails, becoming increasingly misogynist, homophobic, anti-immigrant, and anti-Muslim; filled with paranoid whackos, voodoo economists, anti-science half-brains, creationists, and white supremists; while being financed by billionaires, Wall Street, and big business.

The problem for the rest of us right now is they’re still a majority in Congress, and many are aiming to close down the government unless Planned Parenthood is defunded -- and then to default on the nation’s debt rather than lift the debt limit.

John Boehner will not go down in history as one of America's greatest Speakers of the House, but at least he served as something of a buffer between the Republican crazies and the rest of America. (This morning when Marco Rubio announced Boehner's plan to retire, attendees at the Values Voter Summit in Washington roared their approval and then rose in a standing ovation.) After the end of October, that buffer is gone.

Hmmm....Robert Reich as a write-in candidate?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

wmw999

at least as much of a grownup as Boehner is

That's setting the bar fairly low. Then again, this is the modern condition of US politics...I guess that's a realistic starting point.

On another note, I never understood why they pronounce his name "bayner" when it should clearly be pronounced "boner." There is no "ay" in "oe."

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

masterblaster72

***at least as much of a grownup as Boehner is

That's setting the bar fairly low. Then again, this is the modern condition of US politics...I guess that's a realistic starting point.

On another note, I never understood why they pronounce his name "bayner" when it should clearly be pronounced "boner." There is no "ay" in "oe."

Who's the grown up?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

masterblaster72

The pronunciation of names is all over the map and is 100% irrelevant outside of trying to be a partisan dickhead. Do you insist that Brett Favre should be called Brett Fav-re? Because that is the way his is name is spelt. Or did you just accept him using the pronunciation he is known with using?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

CanuckInUSA

***On another note, I never understood why they pronounce his name "bayner" when it should clearly be pronounced "boner." There is no "ay" in "oe."

The pronunciation of names is all over the map and is 100% irrelevant outside of trying to be a partisan dickhead. Do you insist that Brett Favre should be called Brett Fav-re? Because that is the way his is name is spelt. Or did you just accept him using the pronunciation he is known with using?

I found it much more interesting and telling that he makes fun of a guys name in t he same post he berates people for being juvenile.

turtlespeed

******On another note, I never understood why they pronounce his name "bayner" when it should clearly be pronounced "boner." There is no "ay" in "oe."

I found it much more interesting and telling that he makes fun of a guys name in t he same post he berates people for being juvenile.

What's in a name?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyQvjKqXA0Y

Hi master,

I never understood why they pronounce his name "bayner"

As someone who has a last name ( it is German ) that gets mangled all of the time; my thoughts are that the name is John's and he can pronounce it anyway that he wants. The rest of us should oblige him.

My name is pronounced ( I have been told ) substantially different depending upon what part of Germany that you are in.

C'est la vie,

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Any idea on what 'Baumchen' means? :P

JerryBaumchen

Hi master,

As someone who has a last name ( it is German ) that gets mangled all of the time; my thoughts are that the name is John's and he can pronounce it anyway that he wants. The rest of us should oblige him.

My name is pronounced ( I have been told ) substantially different depending upon what part of Germany that you are in.

C'est la vie,

Jerry Baumchen

Good job your first name isn't George.

christelsabine

PS) Any idea on what 'Baumchen' means?
:P

Baum = tree
Baum-chen = little tree (like in baby talk)

Which leaves John as a holly tree.:P

JerryBaumchen

Hi Christel,

Baum = tree
Baum-chen = little tree

Now that was not fair; you're German.

:P

Hmmm, Sabine; hmmmmm???????

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I have always been told that the 'chen' was the diminutive, that is why it is 'little.'

Yeah it means little tree, that's a pretty cool name.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

JerryBaumchen

Hi master,

C'est la vie,

Jerry Baumchen

I was taught that for most German names, the first vowel is silent and the second is pronounced.

Stein = "stine"
Mueller = 'miller' or 'meller'
Krueger = 'kreeger'
Heitpas = 'hippas'

So Boehner = 'beener' or 'beyner' or 'binner'
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo