Amazon

SCOTUS Ya'll can get your gay weddings now.

> Hopefully those dumb ass republicans won't be using gay marriage as a talking points
>on their election debates anymore.

That would be great, but so far it doesn't look promising.

Scott Walker: "Five unelected judges have taken it upon themselves to redefine the institution of marriage. . . . As a result of this decision, the only alternative left for the American people is to support an amendment to the US Constitution to reaffirm the ability of the states to continue to define marriage."

Huckabee: "I will not acquiesce to an imperial court any more than our Founders acquiesced to an imperial British monarch. We must resist and reject judicial tyranny, not retreat."

Santorum: "Today, 5 unelected judges redefined the foundational unit of society. Now it is the people’s turn to speak."

Anvilbrother

Finally! Hopefully those dumb ass republicans won't be using gay marriage as a talking points on their election debates anymore. I'm sick and freaking tired of hearing about abortions and gay marriage from them.

Now if you guys could just get them to quit making stupid foot in mouth comments about legitimate rape and similar idiocy from so many of the old white guys who actually believe that shit.

From George Takei's FB page:
It was as if millions of homophobes suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced--then somehow were totally fine with it just a year later.
:D

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

That is true. And I see it in bobby jindal. I know that dude is smarter than that but he bows down to the religious groups and panders their shit to get votes for the religious south.

He had real potential being a smart younger candidate but his pandering will doom him once he leaves the bible belt.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

SkyDekker

Amazing to me there were 4 dissenters on this issue.

I find it ironic that Roberts in the second paragraph of his dissent wrote, "But this Court is not a legislature." After what he did yesterday.

Then he wrote, "The fundamental right to marry does not include a right to make a State change its definition of marriage." Yeah. But the Court can change the definition of a State.

I do agree with one thing that Roberts wrote. It's the practical implications. IN fact, Roberts was sly enough to stick it to Justice Ginsburg in actually citing her criticism of Roe v. Wade.

By deciding this question under the Constitution, the Court removes it from the realm of democratic decision. There will be consequences to shutting down the political process on an issue of such profound public significance. Closing debate tends to close minds. People denied a voice are less likely to accept the ruling of a court on an issue that does not seem to be the sort of thing courts usually decide. As a thoughtful commentator observed about another issue, “The political process was moving . . . , not swiftly enough for advocates of quick, complete change, but majoritarian institutions were listening and acting. Heavy-handed judicial intervention was difficult to justify and appears to
have provoked, not resolved, conflict.” Ginsburg, Some Thoughts on Autonomy and Equality in Relation to Roe v. Wade, 63 N. C. L. Rev. 375, 385–386 (1985) (footnote omitted).

In a sense I agree with this. But I also am steadfastly in support of equal protection.

Just look at the reasons without emotion and see why Roberts, for one, thought that the Court should have let the political process handle it.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

cott Walker: "Five unelected judges have taken it upon themselves to redefine the institution of marriage. . . . As a result of this decision, the only alternative left for the American people is to support an amendment to the US Constitution to reaffirm the ability of the states to continue to define marriage."

What do you think about Chief Justice Roberts?

Today, however, the Court takes the extraordinary step
of ordering every State to license and recognize same-sex
marriage. Many people will rejoice at this decision, and I
begrudge none their celebration. But for those who believe
in a government of laws, not of men, the majority’s approach
is deeply disheartening. Supporters of same-sex
marriage have achieved considerable success persuading
their fellow citizens—through the democratic process—to
adopt their view. That ends today. Five lawyers have
closed the debate and enacted their own vision of marriage
as a matter of constitutional law. Stealing this issue from
the people will for many cast a cloud over same-sex marriage,
making a dramatic social change that much more
difficult to accept.

The majority’s decision is an act of will, not legal judgment.
The right it announces has no basis in the Constitution
or this Court’s precedent. The majority expressly
disclaims judicial “caution” and omits even a pretense of
humility, openly relying on its desire to remake society
according to its own “new insight” into the “nature of
injustice.” Ante, at 11, 23

Now that it's equal to all, can we have equality in stopping the government from recognizing marriage at all? The only part the government needs to be involved with is the contract enforcement side of things.
cavete terrae.

grue

Now that it's equal to all, can we have equality in stopping the government from recognizing marriage at all? The only part the government needs to be involved with is the contract enforcement side of things.

Marriage streamlines this process.

"It is not of special importance to me what the law says about marriage. It is of overwhelming importance, however, who it is that rules me. Today's decree says that my Ruler, and the Ruler of 320 million Americans coast-to-coast, is a majority of the nine lawyers on the Supreme Court." SCALIA

What a load of bollocks! SCOTUS has been doing that since the days of John Marshall. Scalia himself was among those who decided that corporations are people. Bloody hypocrite!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

billvon

> Hopefully those dumb ass republicans won't be using gay marriage as a talking points
>on their election debates anymore.

That would be great, but so far it doesn't look promising.

Scott Walker: "Five unelected judges have taken it upon themselves to redefine the institution of marriage. . . . As a result of this decision, the only alternative left for the American people is to support an amendment to the US Constitution to reaffirm the ability of the states to continue to define marriage."

Huckabee: "I will not acquiesce to an imperial court any more than our Founders acquiesced to an imperial British monarch. We must resist and reject judicial tyranny, not retreat."

Santorum: "Today, 5 unelected judges redefined the foundational unit of society. Now it is the people’s turn to speak."

Looks like democracy in action...freedom of expression, its a good thing right?

>Looks like democracy in action...

Yep. With 57% of Americans supporting the Supreme Court's decision, it is a kind of democracy in action.

>freedom of expression, its a good thing right?

The right to do so certainly is, even if the result is statements like the above (or the Westboro Baptists.)

They got those marriage rights they were asking for. I hope they like being married 45% of straight couples end up not liking it!!!:D Im sure there is a web comic strip out there about gay people protesting for gay marriage, and the last frame is them sitting on either end of a couch talking about how marriage sucks, and they wish they were just dating again :P

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

kallend

"It is not of special importance to me what the law says about marriage. It is of overwhelming importance, however, who it is that rules me. Today's decree says that my Ruler, and the Ruler of 320 million Americans coast-to-coast, is a majority of the nine lawyers on the Supreme Court." SCALIA

What a load of bollocks! SCOTUS has been doing that since the days of John Marshall. Scalia himself was among those who decided that corporations are people. Bloody hypocrite!

Yep. And according to Ginsburg and Roberts, it has caused problems.

Of all people, why are you defending something that has been done since the days of slavery?

lawrocket

Yep. And according to Ginsburg and Roberts, it has caused problems.

Of all people, why are you defending something that has been done since the days of slavery?

Quite a stretch there, Counselor. Pointing out hypocrisy is not "defending" anything.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

JohnnyMarko

Alabama, keepin it real :S

Let it go, you old fart. It's over. You're not going to find any loopholes.

Patience, Johnny.

He said he needed time for him and his lawyers to review the Supreme Court ruling and fully understand it.

Translation: He is just a slow reader.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.