Driver1

2 Gunmen killed outside Muhammad cartoon drawing contest event

rushmc

I love the way you can write two mutually contradictory posts within the space of a few minutes and yet seem blissfully unaware of it.

As I said
Your thought process is more dangerous than the gunmans

I've never thought it a good idea to shoot anyone I disagree with. YMMV.:P

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

I love the way you can write two mutually contradictory posts within the space of a few minutes and yet seem blissfully unaware of it.

As I said
Your thought process is more dangerous than the gunmans

I've never thought it a good idea to shoot anyone I disagree with. YMMV.:P

Well, that is good to know
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

wolfriverjoe

***Can somebody tell me why Pamela Geller hasn't been arrested for inciting a riot?

Ummm...

Because she isn't inciting a riot?

Under Federal Law this meets the definition of a riot.

She provoked it. She knew she was provoking an incident where other people could be involved in any resulting violence.

I see this as far different than the hypothetical you've suggested in that a crowd of other people she was organizing were being involved in her actions.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

To my reading of it, the federal incitement to riot statute is written with such broad language that it could be abused by prosecutors to conflict with First Amendment rights. IMPO (short version): I wouldn't hold out great hopes for successfully prosecuting her under the statute under these particular facts.

SkyDekker

******Is this the same Texas where the Governor has instructed the State Guard to spy on a Special Forces training exercise, because he is afraid it is really a ruse to take over the state by the Federal Government?

That Texas?

As some one else posted on Facebook, even the crazy is bigger in Texas.

Abbott basically sent a guy to meetings. He created a communication channel that is under his control.

Because Walmarts have been closed for 6 months to have them prepared to be used as detention centres.

A state government is worried about the federal government invading it.

Is that what he told you he was thinking when he decided to assign that guy to attend those meetings?

Because i have it from a friend in the TSG who works on the logistics & communications side of the house that this was planned long before the meeting in Bastrop County. This was planned because this is the first ever of it's size training event. It's taking place in public view with public interaction and in some cases without the public being informed of the when & where. That's just the nature of the training event. It seems prudent to have someone (retired military) sit in the briefings to inform the gov of anything that might be an issue from a citizens rights point of view.

In hindsight, it's also pandering. But he's a politician. I'd expect no less.
--
Rob

Interesting;
From NPR radio just now:
The two gunmen armed with "assault" rifles and wearing body armor, ambushed a parked police car containing an off-duty traffic cop, and an unarmed security guard. The cop took out both attackers with just a revolver.

Kudos to the cop!
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

rhaig

*********Is this the same Texas where the Governor has instructed the State Guard to spy on a Special Forces training exercise, because he is afraid it is really a ruse to take over the state by the Federal Government?

That Texas?

As some one else posted on Facebook, even the crazy is bigger in Texas.

Abbott basically sent a guy to meetings. He created a communication channel that is under his control.

Because Walmarts have been closed for 6 months to have them prepared to be used as detention centres.

A state government is worried about the federal government invading it.

Is that what he told you he was thinking when he decided to assign that guy to attend those meetings?

Because i have it from a friend in the TSG who works on the logistics & communications side of the house that this was planned long before the meeting in Bastrop County. This was planned because this is the first ever of it's size training event. It's taking place in public view with public interaction and in some cases without the public being informed of the when & where. That's just the nature of the training event. It seems prudent to have someone (retired military) sit in the briefings to inform the gov of anything that might be an issue from a citizens rights point of view.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/may/04/chuck-norris-warns-government-conspiracy-take-over-texas

'Texas Ranger' Chuck Norris warns of government plot to take over state

The actor, martial artist, and internet meme Chuck Norris has warned of a federal government plot to take over the state of Texas.

Writing on the right-wing website WND, or WorldNetDaily, Norris discussed the potential for Jade Helm 15, a US military training exercise planned for July and August, to turn into a full-scale occupation of his home state.

Exercises will be held in Texas and six other states during Jade Helm 15, across public and private land. The training has been the focus of rightwing conspiracy theories since a map published for the purpose of the simulation labelled Texas, Utah and California as “hostile”.

“The US government says, ‘It’s just a training exercise’,” wrote Norris, 75. “But I’m not sure the term ‘just’ has any reference to reality when the government uses it.”

Both the governor of Texas, Greg Abbott, and US senator – and 2016 Republican presidential candidate – Ted Cruz have been accused of pandering to conspiracy theorists with their reactions to Jade Helm 15. Abbott asked the Texas state guard to monitor the training exercise. Cruz said his office had “reached out to the Pentagon” to ask about the exercise.

Stumpy

Agreed - the gunmen were in the wrong. But this is the equivalent of taking a shit on the us flag at, say, arlington cemetery and claiming it's just free speech. Posters on this site have said they would respond with violence to something like that. Blatant provocation in any arena is a shitty idea.

+1

Sick of people being offensive to other people just because they can, society seems to have lost the value placed upon good manners and civilised behaviour and is all the poorer for it.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Andy9o8

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/may/04/chuck-norris-warns-government-conspiracy-take-over-texas

'Texas Ranger' Chuck Norris warns of government plot to take over state

The actor, martial artist, and internet meme Chuck Norris has warned of a federal government plot to take over the state of Texas.

Writing on the right-wing website WND, or WorldNetDaily, Norris discussed the potential for Jade Helm 15, a US military training exercise planned for July and August, to turn into a full-scale occupation of his home state.

Exercises will be held in Texas and six other states during Jade Helm 15, across public and private land. The training has been the focus of rightwing conspiracy theories since a map published for the purpose of the simulation labelled Texas, Utah and California as “hostile”.

“The US government says, ‘It’s just a training exercise’,” wrote Norris, 75. “But I’m not sure the term ‘just’ has any reference to reality when the government uses it.”

Both the governor of Texas, Greg Abbott, and US senator – and 2016 Republican presidential candidate – Ted Cruz have been accused of pandering to conspiracy theorists with their reactions to Jade Helm 15. Abbott asked the Texas state guard to monitor the training exercise. Cruz said his office had “reached out to the Pentagon” to ask about the exercise.

So Chuck Norris thinks it's more than a training exercise... ok... Gov Abbott is still pandering... yeah. He's a politician.

This doesn't change anything.
--
Rob

Stumpy

Agreed - the gunmen were in the wrong. But this is the equivalent of taking a shit on the us flag at, say, arlington cemetery and claiming it's just free speech. Posters on this site have said they would respond with violence to something like that. Blatant provocation in any arena is a shitty idea.

A difference that should not be overlooked is that you had to add "Arlington Cemetery" in your hypothetical to make the level of offense come close (I still think it falls short.) This was in Garland Texas not Mecca. As I've noted previously, the whole of the entire universe is not the hallowed ground of Islam* where you can't do or say something offensive anywhere/anytime.

<*hides under bed from Islamic radicals />

kallend

******Quade said that he thinks that they should actually be imprisoned for causing it.

As long as they are prepared to pay for the protection, I'm OK with that. Freedom isn't free, and that includes the right to piss people off deliberately.

+1
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Skyrad

***Agreed - the gunmen were in the wrong. But this is the equivalent of taking a shit on the us flag at, say, arlington cemetery and claiming it's just free speech. Posters on this site have said they would respond with violence to something like that. Blatant provocation in any arena is a shitty idea.

+1

Sick of people being offensive to other people just because they can, society seems to have lost the value placed upon good manners and civilised behaviour and is all the poorer for it.

Pfft... the organizers of the event knew what they were doing. They even paid thousands of dollars for extra security. Well guess what? Two would-be Jihadists showed up hell-bent on exacting revenge with AR-15's. Too bad they didn't take the time to scout the area because they were shot dead by the hired security.

Hey, 2 dead jihadis is better than 2 live ones. Fuck you very much.
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

quade

******Can somebody tell me why Pamela Geller hasn't been arrested for inciting a riot?

Ummm...

Because she isn't inciting a riot?

Under Federal Law this meets the definition of a riot.

She provoked it. She knew she was provoking an incident where other people could be involved in any resulting violence.

I see this as far different than the hypothetical you've suggested in that a crowd of other people she was organizing were being involved in her actions.

OK, I'll comment.

Inciting a riot would be telling people to commit acts of violence. Say for example Michael Brown's father telling everyone to burn this bitch down.

Putting up an exhibit of something that people find offensive is not. Remember when Larry Flynt published pictures of a woman's vagina? People at the time thought it was inflammatory and incendiary. Did he deserve to be shot for it?

There is a difference between inciting a riot and doing something that is in bad taste. I see a lot of people confusing the two, especially in the media.

If anytime someone is offended by something and threatens violence and the government comes in and starts to arrest people, what happens to free speech?

Does this mean that every time a liberal speaks I can threaten violence and have their speech shut down?
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Let me get this straight... Holding a conference to draw cartoons of a religious leader, who's sole mission is to iincite Muslims.

But wishing people "Happy Hollidays" is a war on Christmas?

Next time, they bring their AK's to the local mall or preschool for this kind of stupid art show.

I really hope that the loud mouth bitch leader gets her fuckbg head ventilated or lopped off. She is trying her damdest for us to have our own Rwanda.

Driver1

So... ISIS is claiming responsibility for the gunmen's attack at the muhammad cartoon contest.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/is-claims-us-prophet-cartoon-attack/ar-BBjc49H

I doubt ISIS really had anything to do with it, but claiming responsibility fits their agenda.

SkyDekker

******So... ISIS is claiming responsibility for the gunmen's attack at the muhammad cartoon contest.

Anybody can go on the internet and claim responsibility for anything.

I claim responsibility for this post.

No proof of that!

kallend

*********So... ISIS is claiming responsibility for the gunmen's attack at the muhammad cartoon contest.

Anybody can go on the internet and claim responsibility for anything.

I claim responsibility for this post.

No proof of that!

pfff, it is on the Internetz it has to be true fosho.

kallend

***So... ISIS is claiming responsibility for the gunmen's attack at the muhammad cartoon contest.

I doubt ISIS really had anything to do with it, but claiming responsibility fits their agenda.

You do have a point. However, you have to allow that these two gunmen were at least inspired by ISIS to drive 1000 miles from AZ to TX and attack this event.

Who knows how many more radicalized individuals there are like them here in the US just biding their time?
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

quade

Can somebody tell me why Pamela Geller hasn't been arrested for inciting a riot?

Because it's quite legal and fully justified to make fun of psychopathic perverts in this country.

The fact that said psychopathic pervert has many followers that are just as pathologically violent is an even stronger case for ridicule.

Charlie Chaplin had it nailed. Those who censored his work were at fault.

BSBD,

Winsor