regulator

Islam...the religion of peace?

Suslique

******religion has been the direct excuse...for more murder and war than anything

See Suslique, this is a perfect example of what I said in post #438 about clearing up the same misconceptions from the same people over and over.

I addressed turtles misconception about war and religion 3 months ago, but he just ignores it and regurgitates the same crap...

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4708982;search_string=war;#4708982

We have different understanding of what " clearing misconceptions" means. To me its explaining (I also discussed this moment earlier in this thread and turtlespeed read that) and leaving it. Clearing misconceptions doesn't mean to me to change somebody's mind about Islam. Its up to them. If he still feels that way that's his business not mine. I just share publicly what I know, engage in discussion, u know, i enjoy human interaction.

Ya, I suppose he's entitled to his religious beliefs and denial of facts just like everybody else...
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

Coreeece

Ya, I suppose he's entitled to his religious beliefs and denial of facts just like everybody else...

I'm glad you admit that you deny the facts.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

billvon

>A piece on NPR this am would have me believing the Episcopals are going to the bar.
>Then back to the pulpit.

Sounds like an eminently practical approach.

It might mix things up a bit, and maybe loosen the wallets a little for that mandatory donation.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

hmm muslims don't believe that you can make anyone "believe" by stating the facts or whatever. we take a stance that its only God who opens certain hearts to belief, there is a higher wisdom about it. people make 'dawah' - can be roughly translated as 'invitation', by their attitude/words but we by no means can change anyone's heart. so there is no point in crazy debates.
'Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?'
'That is the only time a man can be brave.'
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

Suslique

hmm muslims don't believe that you can make anyone "believe" by stating the facts or whatever. we take a stance that its only God who opens certain hearts to belief, there is a higher wisdom about it. people make 'dawah' - can be roughly translated as 'invitation', by their attitude/words but we by no means can change anyone's heart. so there is no point in crazy debates.

Bullshit.

The rules are 'convert or die.'

Islam is evil.

winsor

***hmm muslims don't believe that you can make anyone "believe" by stating the facts or whatever. we take a stance that its only God who opens certain hearts to belief, there is a higher wisdom about it. people make 'dawah' - can be roughly translated as 'invitation', by their attitude/words but we by no means can change anyone's heart. so there is no point in crazy debates.

Bullshit.

Islam Religion is evil.

Better, more accurate.

>Bullshit. The rules are 'convert or die.'

I'm going to go with a Muslim who lives the rules over a Torah expert. (Your eloquent explanations of why the Old Testament does not mean what it says are a good example of how facile interpretations of ancient texts are often incorrect.)

normiss

******hmm muslims don't believe that you can make anyone "believe" by stating the facts or whatever. we take a stance that its only God who opens certain hearts to belief, there is a higher wisdom about it. people make 'dawah' - can be roughly translated as 'invitation', by their attitude/words but we by no means can change anyone's heart. so there is no point in crazy debates.

Bullshit.

Islam Religion is evil.

Better, more accurate.

I stand corrected.

However, like any group of pathogens, some are more virulent than others. Rabies is effectively 100% fatal, Ebola is on the high side of 50%, and Herpes is basically an annoyance.

Scientology is no less made-up than Islam, but the focus of that ism is to drain one's bank account. Scientology is to Islam what Influenza is to Polio.

BSBD,

Winsor

billvon

>Up until the DUI manslaughter results, I would tend to agree.

Still better than the guy who goes to a bar and then drives home. The priest has an hour to sober up while on the pulpit.

http://www.npr.org/2015/05/26/409672010/md-episcopal-diocese-chooses-replacement-for-defrocked-bishop

Executive summary: Previous drunk bishop who killed cyclist has been replaced by "alcoholic-in-recovery" bishop.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ALL religions tell this same story line although expressed somewhat different.
Lake of fire, convert or die, no other gods before me...either you believe MY RELIGION over all others, or you will die.
If you're not listening, I will smite thee.
;)

normiss

ALL religions tell this same story line although expressed somewhat different.
Lake of fire, convert or die, no other gods before me...either you believe MY RELIGION over all others, or you will die.
;)

It seems odd that when one postulates an anthropomorphic entity that just kind of is, but has the capacity to generate a universe for no particular reason, this entity should be massively insecure and spiteful, caring greatly about the opinions of his creations.

Vonnegut's idea of a deity involved consummate indifference. Though the very concept of a deity is absurd, at least Kurt had a sense of humor.

winsor

***ALL religions tell this same story line although expressed somewhat different.
;)

It seems odd that when one postulates an anthropomorphic entity that just kind of is, but has the capacity to generate a universe for no particular reason, this entity should be massively insecure and spiteful, caring greatly about the opinions of his creations.

Vonnegut's idea of a deity involved consummate indifference. Though he very concept of a deity is absurd, at least Kurt had a sense of humor.

It's very incomprehensible...

Until you ask the basic investigative question:

"Who stands to benefit?"

And when someone realizes that the purveyor of these tales stands to gain the most from those who believe them, then the whole situation tends to make a lot more sense.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

******ALL religions tell this same story line although expressed somewhat different.
;)

Vonnegut's idea of a deity involved consummate indifference. Though he very concept of a deity is absurd, at least Kurt had a sense of humor.

"Who stands to benefit?"

And when someone realizes that the purveyor of these tales stands to gain the most from those who believe them, then the whole situation tends to make a lot more sense.

Never thought about it that way. Hmmm. Religion is the biggest pyramid scheme known to mankind.

I'm surprised madoff hasn't capitalized on it.

normiss

Lake of fire

"Hell" is a fiery fence of fear that keeps you believing in a religion. Beyond that fence is freedom.

As a youngster it took me a while to go beyond that fence, and once I did I never went back. Fortunately, no burns to show for it.

I really do find the concept of hell utterly detestable and wicked and will always call bullshit whenever I read about it.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

wolfriverjoe

******ALL religions tell this same story line although expressed somewhat different.
;)

"Who stands to benefit?"

Ummm, the original purveyor's were killed for their beliefs...

Furthermore:
"For I think that God has displayed us, the apostles, last, as men condemned to death; for we have been made a spectacle to the world, both to angels and to men. We are fools for Christ’s sake, but you are wise in Christ! We are weak, but you are strong! You are distinguished, but we are dishonored! To the present hour we both hunger and thirst, and we are poorly clothed, and beaten, and homeless. And we labor, working with our own hands. Being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we endure; being defamed, we entreat. We have been made as the filth of the world, the offscouring of all things until now.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

winsor

[If you're a total dud in bed, find yourself a virgin and convince her that the female orgasm is a myth. Yeah, that's the ticket...

Then make FGM part of the culture for that extra edge.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

markharju

***[If you're a total dud in bed, find yourself a virgin and convince her that the female orgasm is a myth. Yeah, that's the ticket...

Then make FGM part of the culture for that extra edge.

mh

With the exception of Iraq and Yemen -- where FGM is practiced rarely -- FGM is an African phenomenon rather than a Muslim one.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

On BBC News this morning: The Battle Between the Veil and the Miniskirt

Is the fear for one's safety when speaking up related to religion or is it related to culture?

What makes a man? According to the people behind a campaign which apparently started in Algeria this week, "real men" take charge of what the women in their family wear - and they make sure females are covered up in public.

Tunisian campaigner Rachid ben Othman led the online offensive by calling for an 'international day of the mini skirt' in a show of solidarity with Algerian women. "We must fight the pro-Islamists taking over," Othman wrote on the event's Facebook page.
Another Tunisian campaigner, who wanted to remain anonymous because of fears for her safety, told BBC Trending that the "Be a man" campaign demeans women. When asked why a miniskirt was chosen as the poster garment for the campaign, she said: "It had to make the same point, they chose the veil as a piece of clothing and we chose the miniskirt."