regulator

Islam...the religion of peace?

They were to be assimilated into the culture - most likely as domestic servants. They could be given in marriage and were not to be treated brutally.

Oh well that's OK then, once you've made a slave marry someone it's completely different. No such thing as spousal rape, amirite?

Even if we accept your thesis though, lets have a look at what that means. I know you enjoyed the last analogy so let's expand it a bit.

God orders you personally not to have sex. After a while though you're suffering from a pretty bad case of blue balls so next time you're driving past the red light district you stop for a quick doorway knee-knocker with one of the local slags - even though you know most of them are dirty. A little later you find out you've got VD. Now this is clearly the hooker's fault and not yours since she provoked you with her wanton female wiles. So you go back and find out where she lives and stab her to death. As you're leaving her bedroom, soaked in blood up to the elbows, you notice a small boy peering out at you from the kitchen. You think to yourself "This kid looks pretty angry. If I let him grow up he might remember who I am and come back to kill me" so you beat his head in with a skillet. Now as you leave the kitchen, mother's blood and son's skull and brain fragments dripping off you, you see a small girl look at you from the hallway. "Well" you think to yourself "this feeble girl can't possibly hurt me. If I take her with me and hold her long enough Stockholm syndrome might set in and she'll think she loves me. Then when she's old enough I'll make her marry cousin Bob, no girl would ever date him by choice." So you zip tie her hands behind her back, drive her back to your place, lock her in the basement and only let her out to clean the house and perform other chores.

How much does that sound like what God would want you to do?

In some cultures, it's not acceptable to rape female slaves, nor is it commanded. In fact, there are laws against it - The Israelites where an example of this type of culture.

Show me.

The idea was that the loss of God's favor would allow Israel to be overcome. It was a war provoked by Midianites and they lost. Again, one of God's attributes is vengeance. Many people don't like that, but I can't see anyone more qualified to Judge. He controls the power of life and death.

And chose to grant favour to one tribe who disobeyed him and vengeance to the other tribes who disobeyed him. So what's that about?

The men of course...and it was clearly unacceptable.

So why were they allowed to live after one sacrifice and the women not?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I don't know how else to expand your one-dimensional perspective.

What happens to your one-dimensional perspective if it's pointed out that God wasn't angry about the sexual immorality, he wasn't angry about the supposed plot to destroy the Israelites, he was angry because the Israelites showed respect to the Midianite's Gods while they were guests in the Midianite's homes, and that's why he wanted them all dead?

How's that vengeance?

It doesn't...I was first attracted to the character of Christ, and tho I fall so short, I try to model my life after His example. The more I understand, the more I see how essential self sacrifice becomes. The idea of giving up your life for the benefit of someone else is so admirable. It's like the only true meaningful way of life for me. (and I'm not necessarily talking about a physical death) But the more I grasp at what that actually means, the more I question the strength of my faith...

They weren't, 24,000 of them died. I think the sacrifice you were referring to was the one that ended that plague.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

jakee

What happens to your one-dimensional perspective if it's pointed out that God wasn't angry about the sexual immorality, he wasn't angry about the supposed plot to destroy the Israelites, he was angry because the Israelites showed respect to the Midianite's Gods while they were guests in the Midianite's homes, and that's why he wanted them all dead?

How's that vengeance?

It was all of that...vengeance, wrath and jealousy - all attributes of God.

Coreeece

It doesn't...

So how come it's what he told them to do?

They weren't, 24,000 of them died. I think the sacrifice you were referring to was the one that ended that plague.

Exactly. So why didn't the women get the chance to say sorry?

Why didn't the kids, who weren't at fault in anyway, not get the chance to redeem themselves when the guys who's fault you admit it was in the first place got back into the big man's good graces?

How do you defend any of this stuff as making sense?

Coreeece

How's that vengeance?

So God ordered his followers to kill an entire civilisation because they didn't believe in him. So this is better than the koran... how?

jakee

How's that vengeance?

So God ordered his followers to kill an entire civilisation because they didn't believe in him. So this is better than the koran... how?

I don't know about the Koran. Does it still command it's followers to kill off modern day civilizations, unlike scripture?

Does the Koran still hold people under the law rather than grace like the bible?

Does the Koran have Christ?

Exactly. So why didn't the women get the chance to say sorry?

Why didn't the kids, who weren't at fault in anyway, not get the chance to redeem themselves when the guys who's fault you admit it was in the first place got back into the big man's good graces?

How do you defend any of this stuff as making sense?

You can ask why until you're blue in the face.

I still have a lot of questions of my own...

Maybe there is answer to why, but I doubt we'll find it by dwelling on the negativity and pounding it down each others throats.

You can ask why until you're blue in the face...

And the religious won't ever answer properly. I know, it's just fun tying you guys in knots.

Maybe there is answer to why, but I doubt we'll find it by dwelling on the negativity

If you question it, and you do think it's negative, why are you defending it? Why not just agree that whether or not the story is exactly as Bill presented, it's still pretty freakin' evil?

jakee

And the religious won't ever answer properly. I know, it's just fun tying you guys in knots.

Maybe there is answer to why, but I doubt we'll find it by dwelling on the negativity

If you question it, and you do think it's negative, why are you defending it? Why not just agree that whether or not the story is exactly as Bill presented, it's still pretty freakin' evil?

Interesting choice of words from an atheist. It seems the concept of evil would be more of an argument for God rather than against Him.

I've found it to be rather foolheaded to put God in the Dock. Wouldn't God Himself set the standard of his own actions rather than our modern palatability of justice?

He didn't approve of the first batch of humans, so he wiped 'em all out - women and children included.

The wage of sin is death, and we choose to sin - He chooses when we die.

We have subjected ourselves to death and the evil that causes it through our own persistent rebellion. We have not lived up to our potential as human beings and despise his authority.

I'm reminded of Revelation 3:17
"You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked."

God not only allows evil - He controls evil and even causes it according to His own good purpose.

Isaiah 45:7
"I form light and create darkness,
I make well-being and create calamity,
I am the Lord, who does all these things."

God does not need my defense Jakee...we were simply discussing what the words say they say.

Well, given that you were trying to justify the actions in the story I would say that you were defending him. If you're just saying now that 'yeah it was evil but I'm ok with that' then I've got no grounds to argue.

Coreeece

Interesting choice of words from an atheist. It seems the concept of evil would be more of an argument for God rather than against Him.

I've found it to be rather foolheaded to put God in the Dock. Wouldn't God Himself set the standard of his own actions rather than our modern palatability of justice?

He didn't approve of the first batch of humans, so he wiped 'em all out - women and children included.

The wage of sin is death, and we choose to sin - He chooses when we die.

We have subjected ourselves to death and the evil that causes it through our own persistent rebellion. We have not lived up to our potential as human beings and despise his authority.

I'm reminded of Revelation 3:17
"You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked."

God not only allows evil - He controls evil and even causes it according to His own good purpose.

Isaiah 45:7
"I form light and create darkness,
I make well-being and create calamity,
I am the Lord, who does all these things."

God does not need my defense Jakee...we were simply discussing what the words say they say.

Although it is fun to bang your head against a wall from time to time it accomplishes nothing. They may feel the same way to which I say okay... no point in continuing the conversation. One of the most difficult things to do when reading scripture has nothing to do with the language, the context, etc. It is actually reading it with an eastern perspective. That is really tough to do being from the west. Several of the "arguments" demonstrated that. If a person just assumes rape happened bc they were soldiers then there is nothing you can do to take the west out of that persons mind. It is important to do this when reading the Qu'ran as well.

Even if they will not admit it, there is a clear difference between the texts which I pointed out. Bill argues something different. He simply says that the text says what it says. That is not true nor is it true for the Qu'ran but again there is no point in arguing it unless both parties will look at the whole picture. There is a bias on both sides and with this topic.... it tends to lead nowhere.

Good thing we are not called to "save" everyone as many think including Christians because many will never subscribe to Christ. I am okay with that for several reasons but the biggest being, I respect a persons choice. "Free will", the second greatest gift God gave us.

edited to read better
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

That story was a piece of shit, reporting wise. I love how every time the employee was referenced it was "the Muslim employee." I also like how it was assumed his friends thought he was moderate so that they could attack that strawman at the end.

This thread was a waste of time to begin with. You haven't made it better.

- Dan G

DanG

"themuslimissue"?

Gimme a break.

You are purposefully choosing to ignore the truth of these incidents. These are incidents of violence on "non-believers", in the name of Islam by dumb ass muslims.
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

You are purposefully choosing to ignore the truth of these incidents. These are incidents of violence on "non-believers", in the name of Islam by dumb ass muslims.

Just as much as you're "purposefully choosing to ignore" all the acts of violence by non-Muslims. Muslims are humans. They do terrible things to other humans. Some of them do it in the name of Islam, most don't.

I purposely choose to look at the whole picture. You should try it.

- Dan G

DanG

Just as much as you're "purposefully choosing to ignore" all the acts of violence by non-Muslims. Muslims are humans. They do terrible things to other humans. Some of them do it in the name of Islam, most don't.

I purposely choose to look at the whole picture. You should try it.

Nobody looks at the whole picture like you do
Got it

:S
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

SkyDekker

That's not what he said or implied.

But then, facts and you tend to not get along very well.

You are in the same boat with him too
Abraham Lincoln

I won't suggest that you don't do facts, but I will suggest that a website that calls itself "the muslim issue" will be cherry-picking its facts.

Remember that with facts we can say that Christians are the second-worst terrorist in the 20th century in the US. With facts we can say that the Bible advocates rape and murder. With facts we can say that Christians are murderous snipers.

But taking the facts and balancing them against the overall size of the population they're trying to describe gives them some importance (or not). That's why cherry-picking is a bad thing, unless, of course, you really like cherries :)

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

I won't suggest that you don't do facts, but I will suggest that a website that calls itself "the muslim issue" will be cherry-picking its facts.

Remember that with facts we can say that Christians are the second-worst terrorist in the 20th century in the US. With facts we can say that the Bible advocates rape and murder. With facts we can say that Christians are murderous snipers.

But taking the facts and balancing them against the overall size of the population they're trying to describe gives them some importance (or not). That's why cherry-picking is a bad thing, unless, of course, you really like cherries :)

Wendy P.

Wendy
I more addressing the issue of how some treat others during a disagreement
There will always be honest disagreement on topic depending on points of view

Some here think their shit dont stink
Either their nose does not work or they have a cold
Abraham Lincoln