BIGUN

Electric Motorcycle Review

All he need now is a cruiser model for long distance rides...

If you're as fascinated as we are with electric motorcycles, Richard Hatfield is a pretty special individual to sit down with. He's the founder and CEO of Lightning Motorcycles, and the man behind the world's fastest production motorcycle, the Lightning LS-218. Riding the Lightning bike was amazing and terrifying – check out our full review here.

SOURCE: http://www.gizmag.com/lightning-ls218-richard-hatfield-interview/36506/

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

If you're as fascinated as we are with electric motorcycles, Richard Hatfield is a pretty special individual to sit down with. He's the founder and CEO of Lightning Motorcycles, and the man behind the world's fastest production motorcycle, the Lightning LS-218. Riding the Lightning bike was amazing and terrifying – check out our full review here.

Is this in SC because electric vehicles are for liberal fairies who hate America?

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

masterblaster72

Is this in SC because electric vehicles are for liberal fairies who hate America?

I would assume so.
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

BIGUN

I want one!

To keep this SC material, is government funding involved?

chutem

I want one!

What are the thoughts that it says it takes more power to drive it than it takes to power the building it was built in?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

>What are the thoughts that it says it takes more power to drive it than it
>takes to power the building it was built in?

Not surprising at all. A typical house has a 100 amp service at 240 volts; that's a max of 24 kilowatts. 1 kilowatt = 1.34 horsepower, so that's 32 horsepower. (For comparison the very first VW bug had a 40 hp engine.)

Consider a Tesla model S with its 416hp (310kW) motor. That's a lot more power that an industrial building with a 480 volt 600 amp service draws.

However, the _average_ power taken by a car cruising on a highway is about 12 kilowatts - which is why it's practical to charge EV's at home.

turtlespeed

I want one!

What are the thoughts that it says it takes more power to drive it than it takes to power the building it was built in?

My thought on that is holy crap, battery technology sure has come a long way when they can do that with a battery that fits in a motorcycle. Next thought, do I really want that kind of potential power located between my legs? A battery event (fire/explosion) would be located awfully close to "tender bits".

chutem

I want one!

My thought on that is holy crap, battery technology sure has come a long way when they can do that with a battery that fits in a motorcycle. Next thought, do I really want that kind of potential power located between my legs? A battery event (fire/explosion) would be located awfully close to "tender bits".

Fire-proof pants :ph34r:
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

Next thought, do I really want that kind of potential power located between my legs? A battery event (fire/explosion) would be located awfully close to "tender bits".

Your kidding right ? A conventional motorcycle places a gas can between your legs ...... :S

Edited to add : Whoops .... someone already stated this .... [:/]
Life is short ... jump often.

DanG

I'd be more worried about a couple liters of highly explosive gasoline vapors between my legs.

Most likely more dangerous with gasoline, but it's been in use for years.

Don't get me wrong, I'd ride it. The thought would be bouncing around in the back of my head though.

masterblaster72

No. This is in SC because its the forum in which we have discussions about alternative energy and the future. One cannot deny the effec that man has had on this planet since the industrial revolution. From dumping chemical and munitions off the coasts to the cancer clusters in how many state now. We are killing ourselves in more ways than one.

I akin the environment to that of our body. We know not the number of compounded preservatives and chemicals that we put in our bodies only to find a higher and exponential incidence of cancers around the world

And just like finding out that what we've done to our bodies 50 years into this life; do not want to leave a legacy of deforestation and having to do triage on the planet only for in the end - it to die because we didn't take care of it.

I am a moderate Republican. While I don't share all the views of our liberal friends, I am receptive to listening. It prevents "groupthink." What I had intended was open and fruitful discourse about the articles point on the direction of batteries and alternative power for the lifestyle we've come to love.

I did not expect some stupid ass comment about, "Liberal fairies who hate America." What makes you think they love America any less than we do. There has been more than one liberal killed in the past 13 years of war. If you don't have the brainpower to engage in a discussion about the future, then shut the fuck up.

Yes, if necessary - I'll take the ban.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

No. This is in SC because its the forum in which we have discussions about alternative energy and the future. One cannot deny the effec that man has had on this planet since the industrial revolution. From dumping chemical and munitions off the coasts to the cancer clusters in how many state now. We are killing ourselves in more ways than one.

I akin the environment to that of our body. We know not the number of compounded preservatives and chemicals that we put in our bodies only to find a higher and exponential incidence of cancers around the world

And just like finding out that what we've done to our bodies 50 years into this life; do not want to leave a legacy of deforestation and having to do triage on the planet only for in the end - it to die because we didn't take care of it.

I am a moderate Republican. While I don't share all the views of our liberal friends, I am receptive to listening. It prevents "groupthink." What I had intended was open and fruitful discourse about the articles point on the direction of batteries and alternative power for the lifestyle we've come to love.

I did not expect some stupid ass comment about, "Liberal fairies who hate America." What makes you think they love America any less than we do. There has been more than one liberal killed in the past 13 years of war. If you don't have the brainpower to engage in a discussion about the future, then shut the fuck up.

Yes, if necessary - I'll take the ban.

A "moderate republican" with disdain for groupthink who is receptive and listens: much respect to ya. I'm sure that a good many republicans here would not consider you to be one of them.

My previous comment was 100% sarcastic, though I appreciate your strong reaction. I agree with what you said about us being poor custodians of the planet; in my opinion it's the most important issue of our times.

I'll take the hit -- mods please don't ban this fellow. B|

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Actually, Keith represents more of what the average conservative here feel and believe. Most of us are moderates. Most of us are socially moderate and fiscally conservative.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

You'll understand the misunderstanding.
No quotes, emoticons or other identifiers that it was sarcasm.
We're good.

Thank you, Wendy.
What Turtlespeed said.

Stumpy

70% more torque than an equivalent gas bike, and 200hp with a single speed? Sign me up.

My attraction is actually driven more towards the maintenance aspects of the electric bikes. Not quite maint free, but getting close.

I stopped riding in part because riding a Daytona 1200 (I wrecked the BMW) 4 miles in San Francisco traffic proved a bit impractical. It ran down the battery, got horrible fuel economy as it never warmed up, and sent a lot of hot air to my legs. But an electric bike is made for that sort of use case. It's also much lighter, even with the battery.

Price is still not great. I also worry about the theft aspect. But maybe soon I'll be a retread.