airdvr

Obama: 'I'm Going To Do What I Can Through Executive Action' On Immigration

Obama's proposal to Congress was hardly any different than GWBs. The business community is in broad agreement too. Unfortunately the GOP's congressional leadership is scared stiff of the racist vote from the far right.

Are you referring to the same business community you love to hate when it comes to politics? They are angels when it comes to immigration but devils when they buy up votes? I've never met a successful biz owner who wouldn't cut off your left nut if they thought it would improve their bottom line.

I don't ever remember supporting any recent President's plans on immigration reform. Unfortunately every president's efforts to reform immigration have made the matter worse. Biggest reason; they actually create an incentive for illegals to cross the border. A border over which we have lost control.

You love to point out how many Presidents have used Executive Action on immigration. Funny how it's never, ever worked to improve the situation.

So when you support this kind of action you're supporting the cartels in Mexico blackmailing Central Americans into paying to gain passage. You're supporting turning parts of TX and CA and AZ into third world countries. I believe the next big terror attack here in the US will show the terrorists have been entering the US along the southern border for a while now.

I know we need the immigrants to do the jobs here no one else is willing to do. They need a path to citizenship. The laws need to change. However, until we gain control of the border we're trying to control flood waters with a turkey baster. And you'll never have a rational persons support while this situation exists.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

Obama's proposal to Congress was hardly any different than GWBs. The business community is in broad agreement too. Unfortunately the GOP's congressional leadership is scared stiff of the racist vote from the far right.

I don't ever remember supporting any recent President's plans on immigration reform. Unfortunately every president's efforts to reform immigration have made the matter worse.

Right, CONGRESS is supposed to do it. But since GWB asked Congress 4 times starting in 2001, and Obama asked 3 times, and Congress did NOTHING, the grown-ups had to step in.

Maybe, just maybe, Congress will now do something.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

However, until we gain control of the border we're trying to control flood waters with a turkey baster.

Out of curiosity, how do you define having "control of the border", and how do you propose that might be achieved?

Don

Anvilbrother

Why are you replying to me with that bullshit? This isn't Facebook I don't care about your stupid link with no context.

Why did you reply with a rant about ACA to a post about immigration in a thread about immigration? Can't you read?

airdvr

I know we need the immigrants to do the jobs here no one else is willing to do. They need a path to citizenship. The laws need to change. However, until we gain control of the border we're trying to control flood waters with a turkey baster. And you'll never have a rational persons support while this situation exists.

Wrong. No one else is willing to do at the wage currently being paid and with government assistance programs supporting them.

You've said numerous times in this thread that businesses will take the cheapest option. Illegals, H1B, outsource, offshore. Even if all those options were no longer available or easier just no longer the cheapest, businesses will find ways to survive or new businesses that can adapt will take over.

Go back to the Trancontinental Railroad. Even if ChInese immigrants weren't brought in, someone would have found a way to get the job done.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

GeorgiaDon

However, until we gain control of the border we're trying to control flood waters with a turkey baster.

Out of curiosity, how do you define having "control of the border", and how do you propose that might be achieved?

Don

Good question Don. Short of using the military I'm not sure. If you are saying we can't control it then we need to quit making sneaking across the border Central America's version of hitting the jackpot.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

normiss

The only increases I've seen at work that big are the smokers.
They pay double for the health insurance.
Seems fair.

My only increase was my contribution to flex spending.
I increased the amount.

I just got a notice that my wife's premium is going up $150.00 per month starting in January. That is a little less than a 50% increase.

I am going to call today to find out why.

You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

When we got our $200 increase the person at HR showed her one list of things the insurance company is now REQUIRED to FUND which is one small part leading to more than the usual small yearly increase. Im not talking welness visits etc it was addiction rehab facilities, methadone clinics etc. Not that they have to pay for you if you go, but they are having to set aside funds to support those places no matter if anyone goes or not.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

normiss

The only increases I've seen at work that big are the smokers.
They pay double for the health insurance.
Seems fair.

My only increase was my contribution to flex spending.
I increased the amount.

My cost went down by quite a lot in 2014. Haven't seen the 2015 costs yet.

airdvr

Don

Good question Don. Short of using the military I'm not sure. If you are saying we can't control it then we need to quit making sneaking across the border Central America's version of hitting the jackpot.

What some people seem to want is a cross between the Iron Curtain and the DMZ beween N. and S. Korea.

airdvr

Don

Good question Don. Short of using the military I'm not sure. If you are saying we can't control it then we need to quit making sneaking across the border Central America's version of hitting the jackpot.It's an important question, because if we can't even define what we mean by "control the border" then we will never be able to agree that that has been achieved, or what to do to get there. That means "controlling the border" will continue to be used as an excuse to delay other needed measures.

It simply is not realistic to define "control" as "not one person can possibly get in or out of the country without us knowing about it". Even if a 100 foot high steel wall was built along the southern border, people would still try to get in by boat. No-one, I think, would like to see the entire country, including every foot of coastline, ringed by barbed wire fence and machine gun posts. No more sea-shore hotels, no beach vacations, just endless fences. Hurricane wire and guard posts across the middle of Glacier National Park.

You also have to consider that much of the border is private property. Ranchers all along the Rio Grande depend on access to water for their livestock. Building a fence along the entire border means confiscating vast amounts of land from American citizens and ruining their livelihood. Big Bend National Park would have to be turned into an armed camp.

All of that would still only impede people from sneaking across the border. About 40% of the people in the country illegally entered legally on visas and then just stayed when their visa expired (source). This is not a simple problem to fix. We can't just stop issuing tourist visas, as foreign tourists bring about $10 billion dollars a month into this country. About 5 million US jobs are dependent on tourism. It would not make economic sense to lock out foreign tourists and devastate that whole industry to keep out the small percentage that overstay.

I have long argued that the most effective measure would be to have an efficient and extremely accurate system to determine who is authorized to work here, and penalize employers who don't use the system more than they would hope to gain from employing illegals. If that was coupled with reasonable "guest worker" visas for certain groups, such as agricultural workers, we could "secure the border" by taking away the economic incentive to enter illegally for employment.

That would not address the issue of would-be terrorists trying to enter. However, such people have never yet been found to have entered by crossing the desert. All the 911 terrorists entered on student or tourist visas and overstayed. Better tracking might help there. For example, since 911 schools have to keep tabs on foreign students, and report quickly to USCIS when they stop attending class or can't be accounted for.

Don

wmw999

Bullshit. There is lots of common ground. Saying there is none lets someone else, someone who is actually willing to define a position, define yours for you. How stupid is that?

Do you think we liberals don't work, or pay taxes, or breathe, or have families we love and want the best for? Do you think we want our companies to fail, and our country to be destroyed?

Those are talking points by people whose measure is their radio and internet popularity, and nothing else. They spew divisive shit because it gets people fired up, just like asking about the Yankees when in Boston. Designed to piss people off, so they'll stick around to watch the reaction, like some people will go out of their way to look at a car wreck.

Wendy P.

Even tingely legged Mathews gets it Wendy

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2014/11/17/Matthews-Obama-Will-Negotiate-with-Iran-But-Not-GOP-on-Immigration

there is no common ground

As for your divisive comments
That is your talking point
You dont listen to any of those you referense I would bet so, where do your talking points come from?

Remember, it is only divisive if one disagrees with a liberal
So please, watch where you are driving
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>where was the common ground regarding obama care?

Democrats implemented a republican plan for healthcare. Indeed, the guy who first implemented it ran for president. It only became "a one sided partisan issue" after the republicans refused to participate in the planning.

billvon

>where was the common ground regarding obama care?

Democrats implemented a republican plan for healthcare. Indeed, the guy who first implemented it ran for president. It only became "a one sided partisan issue" after the republicans refused to participate in the planning.

Ya
Please continue this course
I guess I will assume you did not see what Gruber had to say about this so called republican plan
You may wish to check that out
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

And I assume you etiher haven't seen these, or you are revising history as fast as you can.

Bill Frist - "I like the bill."

Arnold Schwarzenegger - "We are ready to roll up our sleeves and work with federal government and get this done .. . .The bottom line is that the plan is not without flaws. But it is a good law. And it is the time for California to move ahead with it, thoughtfully and responsibly."

Tommy Thompson on the individual mandate of the ACA - "This is a little bit opposed to what Republicans really think, but the truth of the matter is that just like automobile insurance; you gotta have coverage."