skycop

Community Policing at it's best...............

Dear College Partiers,

The weekend is here! I am sure you have your costumes ready and you are itching to host or attend the big shindig. We have spoken with our midnight shift and they have advised us that perhaps the “young’uns,” (meaning the freshmen and students who have not been in town long), were not quite accustomed to dealing with the police. I have taken it upon myself to pass along some important info, to assist you in staying out of trouble during your Halloween hijinks…..

• If we show up at your party, you get one warning to simmer down. If we come back to your party because you have not simmered down, you will be leaving with us. If others there are violating the law, we will take them also. Heed the warning.

• Yes, we know that you know your rights. Yes, we know that you have taken “Intro to Criminal Justice.” I took a biology class once. That does not make me a doctor. Utilize your right to remain silent….and we will thank you.

• We are the Brimfield Police. If we respond to your party, it is because you live in Brimfield. You have a Kent mailing address, attend school in Kent…and live in Brimfield. We are not “wearing great costumes” nor are we “the strippers.”

• If you cannot drink alcohol without punching each other, setting things on fire, throwing things at the police or ending up getting your stomach pumped….you should not be drinking. Know your limits.

• Couple’s costumes are cute. We like telling the story from a few years back, involving Thor lovingly stroking Cinderella’s hair and telling her it would be okay…while she threw up all over our holding cell. That was an awfully romantic moment.

• Stay off of roadways. Some areas in Brimfield are not well lighted. One night, while responding to a loud part of 300 or so students, I nearly mowed over all of the Disney princesses. They darted out of the woods like a herd of deer. They were running from the police! The Disney princesses were in a foot pursuit with the police! Shameful. If you are dressed like a princess, act like one. Belle would NEVER be smooching with The Incredible Hulk, in a police holding cell. Captain America would NEVER tell the police to @#$% *$@#!!

• No, my officers will not call me because you “follow the chief on Facebook.” You can call me when you post bond and you are sober. Good luck with that conversation.

Overall, we just encourage you to use common sense, be safe and yes…have fun. Ladies, be careful of your alcohol intake and those around you. We see lots of victims who cannot defend themselves in these situations. Men, be gentlemen and do not try to smooch those who are passed out or too intoxicated to make a sound decision. For heaven's sake....Do not try to smooch anything that is located behind an electric fence and has four legs.

If you use common sense, you should have a fun evening. If you don’t, you will be arrested, without fail.
Carry on…Chief Oliver.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

Hi sky,

Dear College Partiers

18 yrs ago, my son was in his first year at Univ of Oregon. Halloween was on a Thursday. He called me that Sat morning and asked me if I had ever been tear-gassed. :o

Seems some friends and he went to a party that got way out of control. The police arrived, in force, and proceeded to make arrests, etc; and they used tear-gas on those a little more rowdy.

My son & his friends were just leaving the melee when the tear-gas drifted their way.

College is about about learning things. :P

Jerry Baumchen

And that is beauty of this,
He doesn't tell them not to have fun, or really not to drink, just the consequences if they do something stupid in a really funny way.
It's the Brimfield Ohio Police Department, this was a post to their Facebook page. The Chief often posts humor laden things about policing and police work.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

I have a friend who started his career as a campus cop. He said that the majority of his calls involved drunk and naked.
It's cute, and it's valid. I wish drinking weren't as much of a competitive sport as it seems to be these days. It was legal for me; I got shit-faced sometimes, but never enough so I couldn't walk home. I don't really remember hearing about alcohol poisoning in those days other than as a warning.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I can remember all the discussions at the time (duh - I was 17). I'm still of two minds, because somehow now it's such a rite of passage they people go to extremes. OTOH, I'm sure glad I didn't have a car when I was 18

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

quade

I would have been much more impressed had this not been copied and pasted.

Oooooooh . . . he maybe should cower at that comment.

or what . . . not have posted it?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

***I would have been much more impressed had this not been copied and pasted.

Oooooooh . . . he maybe should cower at that comment.

or what . . . not have posted it?

Or given it proper attribution in a quote box with a link back to the source.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I disagree Bill, perhaps the kids that "almost" got to legally drink and then it changed had problems but I can't see how making it 21 was anything but good. Sure some kids will certainly drink before 21... But SOME won't and that % that doesn't drink you will save a certain % from drinking issue.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

>I disagree Bill, perhaps the kids that "almost" got to legally drink and then it
>changed had problems but I can't see how making it 21 was anything but good.

I don't doubt that it did some good things, but where I was it definitely caused more problems than it solved. Heck, alcohol consumption went _up_ after the age went up, at least on campus. (Probably because it was now harder to get off campus.)

>Sure some kids will certainly drink before 21... But SOME won't and that % that
>doesn't drink you will save a certain % from drinking issue.

Perhaps, but that seems like an eerily similar argument that people who want to ban guns make (or at least make them harder to get.) "Sure, criminals will disobey the law, but at least SOME law abiding people won't buy guns - so there will be fewer problems with guns."

Good points.

But I wonder, your younger than me, I believe, I'm 54. But as I said I think the people that were close to the age wanted to drink - all their friends just a bit older were drinking.... But for the kids that were a couple years before not as big of a deal.

I'm often surprise how mature my children are about drinking, I wish I could say it was great upbringing and it may from there mother :)
Ymmv.

Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

billvon

I was right there at the transition when it went from 18 to 20 to 21. .

That was a sad place to be. My state ramped up one year at a time and it changed on Sept 1. My birthday is Aug 28 so from 18-21 I went from underage to legal to underage in 4 days. :S
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

futuredivot

***I was right there at the transition when it went from 18 to 20 to 21. .

That was a sad place to be. My state ramped up one year at a time and it changed on Sept 1. My birthday is Aug 28 so from 18-21 I went from underage to legal to underage in 4 days. :S

So your best bet was to stock up on beer every year during those 4 days? Ouch.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

>That was a sad place to be. My state ramped up one year at a time and it changed on Sept 1.

At school I was grandfathered in; just made the cutoff. For the next three years I was very popular. I remember one fall signing for 64 kegs of beer.

In New York there was no grandfather clause, so when I went home I couldn't drink. It was odd.