SkyDekker

First Ebola Diagnosis in US

RobertMBlevins

Ebola has killed some thousands of people...and unlike the 1919 pneumonia pandemic that killed nearly 20 million people...we have much better tools now to fight such a thing.

On the other side, there is Cambridge's Really Smart Guy Dr. Martin Rees saying that a massive global pandemic is a definite possibility in his book Our Final Century.

He means THIS century and gives very good reasons on why he believes the human race will not make it to the year 2100 without a major extinction event.

He's an astronomer/cosmologist.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

***Ebola has killed some thousands of people...and unlike the 1919 pneumonia pandemic that killed nearly 20 million people...we have much better tools now to fight such a thing.

On the other side, there is Cambridge's Really Smart Guy Dr. Martin Rees saying that a massive global pandemic is a definite possibility in his book Our Final Century.

He means THIS century and gives very good reasons on why he believes the human race will not make it to the year 2100 without a major extinction event.

So I could get my palm read and a makeover. Cool!

Andy9o8

******Ebola has killed some thousands of people...and unlike the 1919 pneumonia pandemic that killed nearly 20 million people...we have much better tools now to fight such a thing.

So I could get my palm read and a makeover. Cool!

Yeah, but you better hurry.

tigra

They're monitoring their temperatures, and know the signs and symptoms. They know what to do if symptoms appear,

the 'if I can just save one child it's worth it crowd' will argue that you can't know that all of them are doing that

I've met nurses, lots of them, so many are conscientious and fit and self aware. SO many are fat, smokers, lazy, selfish and self involved. (just like any group of people in any field of employment)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

***They're monitoring their temperatures, and know the signs and symptoms. They know what to do if symptoms appear,

the 'if I can just save one child it's worth it crowd' will argue that you can't know that all of them are doing that

I've met nurses, lots of them, so many are conscientious and fit and self aware. SO many are fat, smokers, lazy, selfish and self involved. (just like any group of people in any field of employment)

Well, three is a very small sample, but it appears that Phang, Vinson & Spenser were all self monitoring fairly well.
They all sought help at the first sign of real symptoms.

And Vinson was aware that she was running a slightly elevated temperature and called the CDC for advice.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I don't fault Vinson all that much, on balance, given her call to the CDC. I do fault the CDC for not warning her off that plane.
Spencer should have been more responsible about actually self-quarantining; and his misleading statements to authorities compounded it.

kallend

Seems that all the politician induced panicmongering has ended now that the election is over.

is everyone past 21 days now, as well? Seems like everyone either died, recovered, or never had it.

The whole sage in Maine seemed to disappear from the news as well. Never heard how her refusal played out, or if she really was a CDC stooge.

kelpdiver

Seems that all the politician induced panicmongering has ended now that the election is over.

is everyone past 21 days now, as well? Seems like everyone either died, recovered, or never had it.

The whole sage in Maine seemed to disappear from the news as well. Never heard how her refusal played out, or if she really was a CDC stooge.

Who besides Duncan died? He's the only one I know of.

And Kaci Hickox is rapidly falling back into obscurity. The judge refused to grant the governor's request to force her into quarantine. She shows no symptoms and tested negative for the virus (in NJ).
I kind of wish the judge would have decided that the governor was recklessly spreading fear & panic and ordered him into quarantine. Preferably with a ball gag in place.

There have been a bunch of stupid overreactions. Nerdgirl is collecting them on FB. A teacher was suspended (with pay) after going to a conference in Dallas (really). The parents thought it was dangerous to have her in contact with their kids because she was within 10 miles or so of the hospital where Duncan died.
Another resigned after returning from a mission trip to Kenya. It's in Africa after all. And everything in Africa is close to everything else.
A principal in Louisiana took a bunch of flak after going to a family funeral in Zambia (see above).

And Spencer seems to be recovering nicely. If he does recover, it puts the death toll in the US from Ebola at...

One.

With 5 recoveries and one death, that puts the death rate at 16.667%.

Not 70%, less than 20%.

Yawn.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

wolfriverjoe

Not 70%, less than 20%.

Yawn.

Well, let's not see how well our system does at scale. Clearly our odds are much better than in the third world, but it's a lot easier when there's only a handful. Going by the Onion, we're still quite a few (40 some) sick white people away from a cure.

kelpdiver

Not 70%, less than 20%.

Yawn.

Well, let's not see how well our system does at scale. Clearly our odds are much better than in the third world, but it's a lot easier when there's only a handful.

That's kinda the point though, isn't it? It isn't getting to scale. It comes in as one person here and there, it gets dealt with.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

wolfriverjoe

Who besides Duncan died? He's the only one I know of.

No-one in the US, and he had it already when he arrived.

No-one who contracted the disease in the US and was treated according to protocol died.

The effect has been miniscule except for the politician induced panic.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Anvilbrother

Yawn.

. Next time we will do it your way.

Apart from the mass hysteria, in what sense was it not done his way?

There was no effective quarantine, people who had been exposed to or who had Ebola were traveling around in the outside world, people without adequate safety gear wandered in and out of Duncan's apartment and sprayed his vomit around... and no one else died.

Anvilbrother

Yawn.

If you mean standard BBP protocols, isolating people who are contagious (symptomatic), allowing those who had been exposed but are not yet symptomatic (not contagious) to lead normal lives as "my way", good.

If you mean no stupid quarantines of people just because they were in the same general area of an infected person, no suspending teachers because they were in the same general metropolitan area as someone who was sick (along with a couple million others), if you mean teaching people basic geography (over 3200 miles between Kenya and Liberia), if you mean not being stupid, panicky sheep; then even better.

jakee

Not 70%, less than 20%.

Yawn.

Well, let's not see how well our system does at scale. Clearly our odds are much better than in the third world, but it's a lot easier when there's only a handful.

That's kinda the point though, isn't it? It isn't getting to scale. It comes in as one person here and there, it gets dealt with.

The problem is that this "IF" you speak of isn't really under our control. Particularly if we just try to ignore the outbreak in Africa.

Before this time, the scale was no cases whatsoever. And all the prior (known) outbreaks in Africa combined were smaller than this one.

It's dangerous to write it off as "just 17% lethal" because this time it was just a half dozen people with another 100 potentials.

wolfriverjoe

Yawn.

If you mean standard BBP protocols, isolating people who are contagious (symptomatic), allowing those who had been exposed but are not yet symptomatic (not contagious) to lead normal lives as "my way", good.

If you mean no stupid quarantines of people just because they were in the same general area of an infected person, no suspending teachers because they were in the same general metropolitan area as someone who was sick (along with a couple million others), if you mean teaching people basic geography (over 3200 miles between Kenya and Liberia), if you mean not being stupid, panicky sheep; then even better.

You make it sound as though there are only 2 possible gradations of risk. I don't think that usefully defines the boundaries of the discussion.

kelpdiver

The problem is that this "IF" you speak of isn't really under our control. Particularly if we just try to ignore the outbreak in Africa.

What 'if'? I didn't speak of an if, did you?

And speaking of Africa, I'd quite like to know how much the USA (and other western countries) have spent on their own precautions/overreactions to Ebola vs how much they've spent on efforts to contain it in west africa.

It's dangerous to write it off as "just 17% lethal" because this time it was just a half dozen people with another 100 potentials.

So why assume that 'next time' (if there is one) will be different?

jakee

***The problem is that this "IF" you speak of isn't really under our control. Particularly if we just try to ignore the outbreak in Africa.

What 'if'? I didn't speak of an if, did you?

"It comes in as one person here and there, "

You didn't use the word if, but it certainly belongs there.

So why assume that 'next time' (if there is one) will be different?

because assuming the happy path is reckless. That Dallas hospital didn't do well with the light case. The CDC check having to restate their realities. Governors did lots of stupid shit. All sorts of stuff to improve even with this easy one.

Anvilbrother

Woosh!

Care to expand on that?

I'm not implying that we ignore it, or not take proper care.
Nor am I implying that it isn't a dangerous disease. It is.

Mistakes were made, particularly with Duncan.
Sending him home when he was symptomatic and told the ER nurse he had recently been in West Africa was a big one. And, FWIW, the nurse properly charted that bit of info. Even though the nurse got the blame for the oversight, it wasn't his or her fault.
And proper BBP protocols weren't followed by Phang & Vinson.

And (general reply to other posts) the US needs to help end this over in West Africa. Kind of "funny" how little everyone cared...

Until it showed up over here.

This outbreak has been going on since March.