BillyVance

Arkansas gun range becomes the first to exclude Muslims

The Immigration Act of 1891 barred entry to anyone with "a loathsome or dangerous contagious disease." Even then, the risk was mostly imaginary. In the ensuing years, only 3 percent of arriving immigrants were turned away because of physical or mental illness.

Except this Act and any other immigration laws designed for our protection can only do so when a person enters the country legally or is caught at the border.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Bolas

The Immigration Act of 1891 barred entry to anyone with "a loathsome or dangerous contagious disease." Even then, the risk was mostly imaginary. In the ensuing years, only 3 percent of arriving immigrants were turned away because of physical or mental illness.

Except this Act and any other immigration laws designed for our protection can only do so when a person enters the country legally or is caught at the border.

I think the point is that one may reasonably extrapolate.

>Of course, illegal freckle-faced white immigrants don't raise the same concern.

Funny how times change. In the late 1800's, Irish were the immigrants to hate. Everyone knew they were lazy drunks who were coming to the US to live on welfare and get in drunken brawls at bars. Now everyone knows that Mexicans are the lazy drug users and Arabs are the violent amoral criminals.

Andy9o8

The fed has put minority illegal children in every state now.

Not too racist, there.
Of course, illegal freckle-faced white immigrants don't raise the same concern.

As of 2007, there were an estimated 50,000 Irish illegal immigrants in the U.S.
there a bail if I ever seen one:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Andy9o8

The fed has put minority illegal children in every state now.

Not too racist, there.
Of course, illegal freckle-faced white immigrants don't raise the same concern.

As of 2007, there were an estimated 50,000 Irish illegal immigrants in the U.S.

50,000 < 7 Million in 2008

http://immigration.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000845#countries

Andy9o8

I think you'd be hard pressed to deny the extent to which massive irish legal immigration has shaped the US, in terms of both population and culture. Besides, the Mexicans have a much shorter swim to get here.

You keep forgetting that word. :P

riggerrob

Would you allow a Mexican to shoot on your gun range if he/she did not understand English?

As I have no range nor know the federal, hypothetical state, and or local laws and regs regarding range ownership/operation will just say:

If a person was not in violation of any of the above, was able to communicate with them in a way to a level where felt they were not a risk to themselves or others at the range, would let them shoot.

riggerrob

Would you allow a Mexican to shoot on your gun range if he/she did not understand English?

I can't answer for Bolas, but I know that I would (and do) allow it as long as one of the group understands both languages and can translate.

I take some extra time to go over the rules and expectations, and I watch the non-English-speaker as stuff is being translated to see if there's any confusion.

Most of what needs to be communicated can be done so with simple signs, and "NO" is "no" in most languages.

And yes, DanG, it probably would have helped if I had read the article in the OP. :$
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Bolas

***I think you'd be hard pressed to deny the extent to which massive irish legal immigration has shaped the US, in terms of both population and culture. Besides, the Mexicans have a much shorter swim to get here.

Illegal irish immigration has been our dirty little secret through all of the 20th century thru the present. More to the point: just look how they breed.

riggerrob

Would you a (single) Korean to shoot on your range if he/she did not understand English?

Maybe.
First off, the range I volunteer at is not a "Gun Rental" range. It's just a place to shoot. Shooters have to bring their own guns and ammunition.

So if the guy has his own gun, knows how to operate it correctly, can understand my demonstration of the main rules, and I feel confident enough that he will understand the range commands that I give, then probably.

On a less hypothetical note, we have a large Hmong community around here. They came as refugees from Viet Nam in the early 80s.
Many are avid small game hunters. Their previous life often included subsistence hunting, and they have continued after settling here.
Many of the older ones speak little or no English. But the kids usually come with the older ones. And the kids translate well enough that there usually aren't too many problems.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

riggerrob

If a lonely Phillipino - who only spoke Tagalog - arrived at your range, would you allow him to shoot.
He arrives without an written proof of previous gun-handling experience.
None of you staff speak Tagalog.

If he can demonstrate that he can safely operate his gun (My range doesn't rent them out), if he can show me that he will be able to understand when the range is cold (no handling of the guns), if I can be reasonably confident that he won't pose a safety hazard; yes.
If not, no.

Andy9o8

******I think you'd be hard pressed to deny the extent to which massive irish legal immigration has shaped the US, in terms of both population and culture. Besides, the Mexicans have a much shorter swim to get here.

Illegal irish immigration has been our dirty little secret through all of the 20th century thru the present. More to the point: just look how they breed.

Have any stats to back up the number of Irish immigrants per year or decade and the percentage of those that were illegal?

Backintothesky

Fantastic free advertising for her gun range.....

I don't think even she believes she can know when someone is Muslim or not. She'll just ban those who look "suspicious" or stereotypically Muslim.

She's just expressed it in a way that will get her national coverage and encourage more people who share her views to visit her gun range.

I wonder if she would let me in if I wore my Burka.:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I posted Jan Morgan's statement, it was her point. Someone above remarked it was a publicity stunt on her part. That may well be true. Her blog page was well written, as far as stating her case, but then removed. It is pretty hard to argue for her after she backed down.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Our firing range is operated by the local gun club and requires membership. Members are allowed to bring a guest. The rules on our range are much the same as you described. We have one exception. If you have a concealed carry permit you are allowed access with a loaded weapon. It must remained concealed. Therefore, we have another level of protection against terrorists using our facilities.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

I have learned that I can garner a larger audience expressing care and concern for emotional issues than attempting to persuade with facts. Bear in mind , no one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.

I find it easy to determine one's maturational level by the anger expressed in their posts. Adolescent minded individuals become emotionally upset when they cannot find agreement. It is that rebellion that we all experience as we grow up. Somewhere between 30 and 50 YOA the light bulb begins to glow and we learn that we have made mistakes in our decisions. At that point most folks begin to establish a solid foundation on which to stand. The exception are the liberals. They seem to drift and change with the shifting sands being blown about by the ever changing winds of public opinion.

RonD1120

I have learned that I can garner a larger audience expressing care and concern for emotional issues than attempting to persuade with facts. Bear in mind , no one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.

This is a nice summation of organized religion.