BIGUN

iPhone 6 vs. Goverment

FBI Director James Comey said in an interview this week that Apple’s data encryption will hurt law enforcement and prevent them from capturing criminals and terrorists.

“What concerns me about this is companies marketing something expressly to allow people to hold themselves beyond the law. The notion that someone would market a closet that could never be opened – even if it involves a case involving a child kidnapper and a court order – to me doesn’t make any sense,” Comey said. He also spoke about parents who come to him wanting to figure out how to best find evidence on their child – but that the FBI will be unable to help because of Apple’s new data encryption process. “It’s like taking out an ad that says, ‘Here’s how to avoid surveillance – even legal surveillance,” he said.

SOURCE: http://www.inferse.com/18015/iphone-6-data-encryption-puts-nsa-run-disrupts-data-gathering-activities/

Doesn't it scare you that the government acts like it's entitled to spy on anyone and is appalled when something helps to protect your right to privacy?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

It's disturbing, but not surprising that law enforcement would take this attitude when (1) we [the US] pass laws allowing this level of surveillance, and (2) we demand that "the government" keep us absolutely safe from any crime or terrorist activity.

As a society, we need to make it clear that (1) we do not want this level of intrusion into our privacy, and (2) we are willing to accept some increased risk as a result. It isn't reasonable to expect law enforcement to detect in advance and prevent every terrorist plot (an unreasonable expectation) without allowing them access to unreasonable tools.

Law enforcement still can get information about specific people, they just have to have probable cause to get a warrant. The argument that encryption prevents them from doing their job is a stealth argument that it's too much bother to get a warrant (i.e. to respect our constitutional rights).

I am concerned about hackers stealing my information and taking the product of my labors for themselves. To that end, I welcome anything that improves security of my data. I'm surprised the FBI can't see that side of things.

Don

GeorgiaDon

It's disturbing, but not surprising that law enforcement would take this attitude when (1) we [the US] pass laws allowing this level of surveillance, and (2) we demand that "the government" keep us absolutely safe from any crime or terrorist activity.

As a society, we need to make it clear that (1) we do not want this level of intrusion into our privacy, and (2) we are willing to accept some increased risk as a result. It isn't reasonable to expect law enforcement to detect in advance and prevent every terrorist plot (an unreasonable expectation) without allowing them access to unreasonable tools.

Law enforcement still can get information about specific people, they just have to have probable cause to get a warrant. The argument that encryption prevents them from doing their job is a stealth argument that it's too much bother to get a warrant (i.e. to respect our constitutional rights).

I am concerned about hackers stealing my information and taking the product of my labors for themselves. To that end, I welcome anything that improves security of my data. I'm surprised the FBI can't see that side of things.

Don

My understanding is that even with a warrant Apple would be unable to access the information in the phone as even they can not crack their encryption. Don't get me wrong, I'm completely with you on points 1 and 2.

GeorgiaDon

It isn't reasonable to expect law enforcement to detect in advance and prevent every terrorist plot (an unreasonable expectation) without allowing them access to unreasonable tools.

1. 17 Intelligence Agencies.
2. 75 Billion Dollar Budget
3. Multi-billion dollar satellite programs, aircraft, weapons, electronic sensors, intelligence analysis, spies, computers, and software.
4. 200,000 Intelligence Community Employees + Contractors
5. A Director of National Intelligence (DNI)

You might be asking a bit much, Don. :|
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

GeorgiaDon

As a society, we need to make it clear that (1) we do not want this level of intrusion into our privacy, and (2) we are willing to accept some increased risk as a result.

Right up until the point where people blame larger society when something bad happens to them.
As a general rule, everyone's for increased risk for other people, but if something terrible happens to their child it's all 'how can this happen? How did the police not see this predator on chate rooms??' etc etc.

BIGUN

***It isn't reasonable to expect law enforcement to detect in advance and prevent every terrorist plot (an unreasonable expectation) without allowing them access to unreasonable tools.

3. Multi-billion dollar satellite programs, aircraft, weapons, electronic sensors, intelligence analysis, spies, computers, and software.

You might be asking a bit much, Don. :|As you are no doubt aware, those resources/people are in large part being used to run and analyze surveillance programs. If such surveillance was outlawed, many of those people would be out of a job.

Don

GeorgiaDon

******It isn't reasonable to expect law enforcement to detect in advance and prevent every terrorist plot (an unreasonable expectation) without allowing them access to unreasonable tools.

You might be asking a bit much, Don. :|As you are no doubt aware, those resources/people are in large part being used to run and analyze surveillance programs. If such surveillance was outlawed, many of those people would be out of a job.

Don

You're kidding, right?

BIGUN

*********It isn't reasonable to expect law enforcement to detect in advance and prevent every terrorist plot (an unreasonable expectation) without allowing them access to unreasonable tools.

Don

You're kidding, right?Well, OK, maybe they'll be put in a
basement cubicle and allowed to post to dropzone.com all day.

Don

GeorgiaDon

************It isn't reasonable to expect law enforcement to detect in advance and prevent every terrorist plot (an unreasonable expectation) without allowing them access to unreasonable tools.

Don

You're kidding, right?Well, OK, maybe they'll be put in a
basement cubicle and allowed to post to dropzone.com all day.

Don

Or maybe they could shift the declination of their azimuth 180 degrees to outside the US - instead of on US citizens. Rather than targeting terrorists and really honing in on them, the US Government is running secret, extravagant, unconstitutional, and an out-of-control labyrinth of electronic surveillance operations that targets every American. This government has redefined citizens as suspects. And, then acts appalled that we dare purchase encrypted phones to protect our privacy from our [we the people] government.

And, your biggest concern is for the jobs for those who survey its own citizens. :S

Rather than targeting terrorists and really honing in on them, the US Government is running secret, extravagant, unconstitutional, and an out-of-control labyrinth of electronic surveillance operations that targets every American. This government has redefined citizens as suspects. And, then acts appalled that we dare purchase encrypted phones to protect our privacy from our [we the people] government.

I'm equally appalled by the domestic surveillance as you are. But just for the sake of historical perspective, and starting only with post-WWII for brevity's sake, it's always been done, limited not by policy (for the most part), but only by the limits of the technology of the day. And it was without regard to political party in charge. 1950s surveillance of everyone per Red Menace justification under Truman and Ike, FBI surveillance of civil rights leaders and anti-Vietnam War activists under LBJ and Nixon, the list goes on. (How was national security enhanced by tape-recording M.L. King in bed with women?)

With a few interludes here and there, treating citizens as suspects has been SOP almost unabated since the earliest Cold War days post-WWII. It's rare that the Executive branch, irregardless of party, willingly devolves, much less divests itself of, the power to abuse the constitution. Sure, the Obama administration may be more verbally liberal than Bush-II on social issues, but on use and abuse of executive power? - not an arc-second of practical difference, except to adhere to every administration's natural inclination to make it a growth industry.

Or maybe they could shift the declination of their azimuth 180 degrees to outside the US - instead of on US citizens.

You think they don't already do this, in addition to surveillance of US citizens?

And, your biggest concern is for the jobs for those who survey its own citizens. :SCrazy[/crazy]

With that sense of humor, you'd be a prime candidate for a TSA job.

Don

>You think they don't already do this, in addition to surveillance of US citizens?

Yeah, I kinda do since that was my job for a long time. Although, I never surveyed US Citizens.

>With that sense of humor, you'd be a prime candidate for a TSA job.

I'm pretty much over-qualified. But, I do have a large bucket of TSA jokes.

Boomerdog

FBI Director James Comey said in an interview this week that Apple’s data encryption will hurt law enforcement and prevent them from capturing criminals and terrorists.

To which I respectfully reply; "Mr Director, tough $#!T! Deal with it!"

Of course a lot of this can be tied directly to that "thing" called the "Patriot Act." What an abomination on our rights.