kallend

Gun for home defense

billvon

>How is that not supervision?

Because I can kill both myself or someone else - something you claim would not be possible under supervision. So in fact one could "obtain a practical murder or suicide weapon" quite easily.

I made no such claim. I said that unlike a Zipcar rental, gun rentals are supervised. Are you really going to refuse to acknowledge the difference?

That doesn't mean you're precluded from doing bad things. The supervisor doesn't control your arms. And again, you already had a gun, so renting a second gun gave you nothing new.

> And yet, we still let anyone buy a car with no barriers other than having cash.

Uh - no. You can't buy a car from a dealer without a license, proof of some form of insurance coverage, and without getting it registered.

You don't need a license to buy a car, not even from a dealer. Someone else can drive it off the lot.

You need insurance to register the car. Not to buy it. And even for that matter - I've purchased a truck without insurance at all - the dealership incorrectly told me that my motorcycle policy would cover it for the weekend until I called them to add it.

And of course none of this applies to private sales which are trivially easy to complete. Further, there are no laws preventing you from buying from another state.

billvon

>Dogs are less predictable than guns and probably even more likely to maul or kill a
>friend or family member than is a gun.

You're right! It's almost as if everyone should make their own decisions on owning a dog after considering all the risks, rather than buy one because "otherwise they are helpless victims."

And if they decide to should be able to do so with limited government interference. ;)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

kallend

Yes, that is exactly the same as a granchild getting shot while trying to get to his grandmother.

I wasn't comparing packing granny to mistake making skydiver.

Yes you were.

No-one claims that they skydive to make themselves safer.

I did. As a military jumper I spent much time at civilian drop zones to make sure I stayed proficient. 4 jumps a year just doesn't do it. YMMV.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

"False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crime. — Cesare Beccaria, quoted by Thomas Jefferson

Now...that shooting accident is a tragedy of this we both can agree. But the veiled message here is that ordinary common people are too dumb to take care of themselves and in so doing make tragic mistakes and I find that the height of pompous, elitist hubris.

>I did. As a military jumper I spent much time at civilian drop zones to make sure I >stayed proficient. 4 jumps a year just doesn't do it. YMMV.

Right. That reduces the odds of you killing yourself skydiving. However, not skydiving at all (including those four jumps) completely eliminates the risk of you killing yourself skydiving.

Thus, you are increasing your overall risk by making those four jumps, compared to not jumping at all.

Boomerdog

"False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crime. — Cesare Beccaria, quoted by Thomas Jefferson

Now...that shooting accident is a tragedy of this we both can agree. But the veiled message here is that ordinary common people are too dumb to take care of themselves and in so doing make tragic mistakes and I find that the height of pompous, elitist hubris.

No, that is not the veiled message.

The message is simple, everything has pros and cons. The US has taken the path that the pros of free and easy gun ownership outweigh the cons. Other countries feel that the cons outweigh the pros.

I just happen to agree with the cons outweighing the pros. Maybe if I lived in a violent society, that balance would tip and the pros start outweighing the cons.

In the end, the US has decide to grant a constitutional right to its citizens to have firearms. That right comes with cons. This kid getting shot is one of them.