regulator

New california gun control laws working like a champ

Shotgun

If I was a desperate male virgin, a trip to a legal Nevada brothel would seem like a better idea than violence. But that's just me.

You would think..... hence my suggestion before of seek a professional to any guy reading that who is in severe need of getting laid and whose game has never been developed let alone so off that it scares females away.

Not sure there is any correlation there. In any case, correlation does not prove causality, as any high school science student learns. I do not wonder why lawful gun owners and / or concealed carry permit holders commit very few acts of crime. Why would that be ?

dks13827

Not sure there is any correlation there. In any case, correlation does not prove causality, as any high school science student learns. I do not wonder why lawful gun owners and / or concealed carry permit holders commit very few acts of crime. Why would that be ?

Perhaps because most of us tend to be law abiding citizens of the country. I also think its what is called responsibility, some people have it, some people do not.

dks13827

It sure looks like the states with higher rates of gun homicides have the lowest education and income levels (No offense Mississippi)

Why you don't wonder about about gun owners and crimes? I have no idea.

jclalor

I know that facts tend not to be your strong point, let me help:

#38, South Dakota
Gun deaths per 100,000: 6.5
Permissive gun laws: 16th out of 50

#39, Washington
Gun deaths per 100,000: 8.5
Permissive gun laws: 37th out of 50

#40, California
Gun deaths per 100,000: 9
Permissive gun laws: 50th out of 50

Why no citation, jclalor? Gun deaths per 100k suggests suicides are included, which is really not a relevant concern in this subject, I dare say. And what criteria did they use to rank the states? It questionable for CA to trail NY and IL, and probably HI and NJ as well.

And more importantly, why are there *7* states with lower gun deaths / 100,000 described as worse than California. It appears that Cal should be 33rd if we take this source for granted.

As for this rather awful incident - it shows that banning AR-15s will not prevent these sort of (statistically rare) incidents from happening, and moreover, even with no guns at all that we can still suffer one. He used a knife, a car, and 3 9mm pistols to kill at 3 separate locations.

For those who want to use these incidents to talk about carry laws - this one probably does not apply. The 3 he stabbed in his apartment were likely surprised, and the drive by of the sorority isn't a good DGU situation. Only when he went into a deli and shot the guy was there a chance. And as always, the cops were well behind - can't be everywhere. They did appear to wound him, so his last act apparently was to kill himself in a moving vehicle and managed to injure 4 more people as the car crashed into their's.

(for a guy apparently so sexually frustrated enough to do this, what is the reason for killing 4 guys in two spots, and but only two women from the car?)

kelpdiver

I know that facts tend not to be your strong point, let me help:

#38, South Dakota
Gun deaths per 100,000: 6.5
Permissive gun laws: 16th out of 50

#39, Washington
Gun deaths per 100,000: 8.5
Permissive gun laws: 37th out of 50

#40, California
Gun deaths per 100,000: 9
Permissive gun laws: 50th out of 50

Why no citation, jclalor? Gun deaths per 100k suggests suicides are included, which is really not a relevant concern in this subject, I dare say. And what criteria did they use to rank the states? It questionable for CA to trail NY and IL, and probably HI and NJ as well.

And more importantly, why are there *7* states with lower gun deaths / 100,000 described as worse than California. It appears that Cal should be 33rd if we take this source for granted.

As for this rather awful incident - it shows that banning AR-15s will not prevent these sort of (statistically rare) incidents from happening, and moreover, even with no guns at all that we can still suffer one. He used a knife, a car, and 3 9mm pistols to kill at 3 separate locations.

For those who want to use these incidents to talk about carry laws - this one probably does not apply. The 3 he stabbed in his apartment were likely surprised, and the drive by of the sorority isn't a good DGU situation. Only when he went into a deli and shot the guy was there a chance. And as always, the cops were well behind - can't be everywhere. They did appear to wound him, so his last act apparently was to kill himself in a moving vehicle and managed to injure 4 more people as the car crashed into their's.

(for a guy apparently so sexually frustrated enough to do this, what is the reason for killing 4 guys in two spots, and but only two women from the car?)

From the FBI:

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/jan/10/gun-crime-us-state

I'm simply saying that you can't judge any law based on anecdotal evidence. It sure does appear that the the lower the education and income, combined with liberal gun laws combine for more gun deaths.

I would expect the OP to cite evidence, other than a single event to evaluate California's gun laws.

I have no issue with semi-auto assault weapons, I use to own a HK-91 (pre-ban) I do believe in background checks, waiting periods and strict laws for transporting, along with no CC, call me crazy.

I've lived in California all my life and have owned and purchased a few firearms, outside of not being able to take the HK-91 with me down to the local Chuck E Cheese with the family, it's been relatively hassle free.

So where were all the right-to-carry, NRA advocates???

When it comes to defend us from the gun crazies, they are nowhere to be found. Seems to me, that handing out guns to everyone in the name of the second amendment is not such a great idea.

it is your duty to protect yourself, carrying doesn't protect you from a blindside but it does give you the means to save yourself from some loony who for whatever reason has decided he has the right to kill you.

freaks like this socially stunted asshole are exactly why I carry.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

jclalor

uh, the Guardian and the FBI aren't the same thing, and this citation doesn't show CA at 40th lowest for gun deaths (when the data clearly shows it should be 33rd) and says nothing about gun laws. It does show quite clearly that whatever you were posting from prior, it did include suicides because CA, per the Guardian, has a rate of 3.25/100k instead of 9. And instead of having a lower than average gun death rate, it has a worse than average (2.75), trailing 31 states.

And where was your data to support your jab at southern states as being dumber and poorer, and thus prone to shooting each other? When I look at the Guardian chart, what I see is a bunch of white states dominating the low (safe) end, showing gun death rates less than 1/100k.

Please don't chastise others about "facts" when you post a turd like that. Surely you could have posted a valid response to the OP's long reach, rather than make shit up.

I have no issue with semi-auto assault weapons, I use to own a HK-91 (pre-ban) I do believe in background checks, waiting periods and strict laws for transporting, along with no CC, call me crazy.

When a guy has an opportunity to kill in 3 different locations before law enforcement can catch up with him, defending the effective ban on CC in our state is a pretty tough argument to make. Fortunately it seems like the 9th has seen the light and we may actually join the rest of the country in allowing non criminals to carry guns.

kelpdiver

uh, the Guardian and the FBI aren't the same thing, and this citation doesn't show CA at 40th lowest for gun deaths (when the data clearly shows it should be 33rd) and says nothing about gun laws. It does show quite clearly that whatever you were posting from prior, it did include suicides because CA, per the Guardian, has a rate of 3.25/100k instead of 9. And instead of having a lower than average gun death rate, it has a worse than average (2.75), trailing 31 states.

And where was your data to support your jab at southern states as being dumber and poorer, and thus prone to shooting each other? When I look at the Guardian chart, what I see is a bunch of white states dominating the low (safe) end, showing gun death rates less than 1/100k.

Please don't chastise others about "facts" when you post a turd like that. Surely you could have posted a valid response to the OP's long reach, rather than make shit up.

When a guy has an opportunity to kill in 3 different locations before law enforcement can catch up with him, defending the effective ban on CC in our state is a pretty tough argument to make. Fortunately it seems like the 9th has seen the light and we may actually join the rest of the country in allowing non criminals to carry guns.

Poorest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_income

Least educated:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2012/10/15/americas-best-and-worst-educated-states/

Notice a pattern?

mpohl

Seems that they are not oppressed enough. If anyone, mentally stable or not, can get his hands on guns.

You can slice it, you can dice it whichever way you want. But more guns, mean more killings.

Fuck the second amendment!!! That's what the seven dead victims would say. I am sure!

yeah, because when one of those bears around here comes and tries to pull the window frame out of my house and come inside, the last thing I would want to be able to access is my hunting rifle...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Poorest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/....S._states_by_income

Least educated:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/...rst-educated-states/

Notice a pattern?

As I pointed out to my dear cousin in South Carolina last Thanksgiving at his parents house ( Where he has lived with his third wife and child for the last 10 years) who likes to mouth the words " The South Will Rise Again", the South will not until the southern conservatives pull their heads out of their asses and embrace education and fight for the jobs that their modern masters have sent over seas will Americas version of a third world shithole have a chance to rise for even the first time.

D22369

So where were all the right-to-carry, NRA advocates???

When it comes to defend us from the gun crazies, they are nowhere to be found. Seems to me, that handing out guns to everyone in the name of the second amendment is not such a great idea.

Well since this happened in California, odds are that he never passed any ccw holders during his killing spree. And even if he had it is not the responsibility of the ccw holder to try to protect the general public. It is to prootect themself and family first then others if the opportunity exsist.
If they are lucky enough to get one issued to them they have to attend
training that teaches them that.

it is your duty to protect yourself, carrying doesn't protect you from a blindside but it does give you the means to save yourself from some loony who for whatever reason has decided he has the right to kill you.

freaks like this socially stunted asshole are exactly why I carry.

Roy

Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

kelpdiver

I remember in this thread there was an article posted where the author combined a bunch of rankings in a goofy way which is probably what happened in jclalor's original list as well.

It's easier to correlate "permissive gun laws" with gun violence when one of the metrics you use to indicate gun violence is permissive gun laws.

champu

I remember in this thread there was an article posted where the author combined a bunch of rankings in a goofy way which is probably what happened in jclalor's original list as well.

It's easier to correlate "permissive gun laws" with gun violence when one of the metrics you use to indicate gun violence is permissive gun laws.

It's also easy to inflate "gun violence" statistics by including those who were killed by Law Enforcement or lawful self defense too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2344866/Anti-gun-group-names-Tamerlan-Tsarnaev-VICTIMS-gun-violence-rally.html

The article mentions Tsarnaev by name, but the list they called out included a lot more "non-victims."

Another similar article:

http://www.examiner.com/article/more-bloomy-outrage-cop-killers-other-criminals-on-gun-victim-list

But the anti-gun crowd has never really cared about truth and accuracy.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

champu

does goofy translate to "lying?" I'm still interested in what source he had ranked CA 40th when the numbers it actually provided should have placed it 33rd, or better yet, why the FBI data actually has it 17th or 18th worst.

> Notice a pattern?

You've probably also seen the correlation between murder and ice cream sales. People get hot headed when it's hot. Which describes the South well. Already pointed out the obvious race angle as well.

Noticing a pattern is fun and all, but it doesn't pass for meaningful debate, esp when CA is high on the killing side, despite all those nice universities and high salaries. As a single example, it kills your theory quite well.

This event doesn't surprise me in the least.

The gun lobby has the politicians scared shitless, so the only gun related laws they will pass are those approved by the NRA, and the NRA only approves toothless, ineffective laws.

A few mass shootings here and there are just collateral damage.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

regulator

thats exactly my point. more laws do not equate to fewer deaths regarding firearms. no matter what state you live in.

We don't need more laws. We already have too many.

What we need are FEWER but BETTER laws. Unfortunately the gun lobby will ensure that we don't get them.

This immature and mentally ill young man (Rodger) is a classic example of someone who could legally obtain a firearm due entirely to the toothless laws that we have in place.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.