normiss

Tennessee is sparking up the chair!

You forgot about Utah!!! They are bringing back the firing squad!!!:)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/17/utah-firing-squad_n_5342899.html

It's the unintended consequences of the withholding of lethal injections drugs. Go from fairly humane to cruel. Well, good job liberals.

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Zach

The responsibility of choosing cruel (your word) methods of execution falls squarely on the individual state's legislators. Trying to place the onus anywhere else is, in my opinion, disingenuous.

Zach

+1

The bloodlust is strong in many places still. It usually seems to be strongest in places with those who claim to follow Christ the most.

cruelpops

Good... now plug it in, fire it up and give it a test run and then start running the juice.

With it being in Tennessee, will they call it "The Orange Mile?" :ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Why does the execution have to be humane? Did the convicted murderer think of the choices for the victim? Was the murderer thoughtful and offer up a suggestion as to how the victim would like to be murdered?

"Hello sir, my name Clifford the Career Criminal and I will be your attacker this evening. Would you like to be sodomized with a rusty piece rebar before or after I slit your throat and steal your wallet?"

normiss

You're assuming they have the right guy and that he is 1000% guilty.
I have zero confidence we can do that reliably.
Which, to some, appears to be ok.
Until it's someone they actually know I bet.

How does one achieve 1000%?

I'm fine with 100%
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

cruelpops

Why does the execution have to be humane?

because it's not about making them feel bad, or 'getting even' or revenge or 'eye for an eye', or 'do unto others' or anything like that.

it's about efficiently removing a threat from society so no one else gets damaged by this predator

The only even remotely possible reason is to scare off other predators from acting psycopathically (deterrence). And that's wrong too, doing something terrible to one person for the sole purpose of effecting a behavioral mod on a total (and 'hypothetical' stranger or group of strangers) has its own moral problems. "making an example" is the most ludicrous of rationalizations for sentencing guidelines ever (at least in a society that's SUPPOSED to be about the individual)

It has NOTHING to do with the criminal - it's about protecting the rest of society.

That said, the more posts I see with "why do we need to be humane" and "how would YOU feel if they hurt your family", etc etc etc.....the more I'm coming around to Normiss' and Amazon's (at least Jeanne's basic viewpoint without the over the top stereotype biases) viewpoints - people want revenge and can't see how they are absolutely missing the point that 'justice' doesn't not equal 'revenge' in any way, shape, or form. If people can't grasp that simple concept, how on earth can they dispense justice in a fair and dispassionate way?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

billvon

>Why does the execution have to be humane?

Because in general we are a humane species, even when it's not required. That's one of the better aspects of humanity.

Perhaps we should engage in a closer examination of the term "humane" and see if it is applicable. According to Mirriam-Webster, they have defined "humane" as marked by compassion, sympathy, or consideration for humans or animals.

We're executing a person that has committed the most heinous crime: murder. Executions are not humane regardless of how you slice it. So essentially you want an execution that is a kinder, more gentle death.

Ya... sounds good.

>So essentially you want an execution that is a kinder, more gentle death.

Nope. If we can prove beyond even a shadow of a doubt that someone has committed a capital crime, and is thus sentenced to death, then we should execute them quickly, cheaply and humanely with the goal of removing them permanently as a threat to others. Nothing about "kind" or "gentle" - and also nothing about "revenge."

My issue with the death penalty is not that it's hard to execute people humanely/cheaply. It's the "beyond a shadow of a doubt" part.

cruelpops

According to Mirriam-Webster, they have defined "humane" as marked by compassion, sympathy, or consideration for humans or animals.

We're executing a person that has committed the most heinous crime: murder. Executions are not humane regardless of how you slice it. So essentially you want an execution that is a kinder, more gentle death.

Ya... sounds good.

The 'humane' part of it is do it in such a fashion to be humane as possible to ourselves as a society. Remember, this is about us, NOT the psychopath.

clinically, dispassionately, efficiency, dispose of the trash. no fanfare, no emotions (maybe other than a bit of regret for "having" to something distasteful but necessary.)

Not "kinder", but painless? sure, that causes the least amount of damage to those watching and those that have to do it. I don't care one bit about the psychopath, he's already history and just a job to finish.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>So essentially do it in a manner so that the denial of what happened (the
>execution) seems less real and we can go on living our lives without regret or
>remorse but feel good about getting rid of the murderer.

You are mixing up two things.

1) The justice system removing a threat from society after determining that he is definitely, positively a killer and has to go

2) How we (or the victim's family, or the executioner, or the media) should "feel" about it

1) is up to the justice system. 2) is up to you.

I have even a better suggestion; let the country vote on it. Every time a person is convicted and recommended for death row, let the country vote on whether the person should be executed or stay in prison their entire life.

Given that scenario, let's say the vote is 51-49 to execute the person. So those who voted for the execution will be billed and ultimately PAY for the execution. But if the vote is 51-49 to NOT execute the person then those voting in the majority get to PAY for the cost of housing that person.

I like that idea.

>I have even a better suggestion; let the country vote on it. Every time a person
>is convicted and recommended for death row, let the country vote on whether the
>person should be executed or stay in prison their entire life.

I'd rather choose a rule of law and stick to it. Transient public passions are no way to decide questions of justice.