kallend

A rather depressing read.

kallend

Unfortunately I find it hard to disagree with its conclusions, especially after reading some of the posts on here.

Well, as the article says...

Instead of educating themselves via the Internet, most people simply use it to validate what they already suspect, wish or believe to be true.

:P

Most of it was interesting but a few parts were dismissive. I think the biggest flaw he makes is conflating mistrust with active denial of underlying information. In cases of the latter I agree with him, but I think it's sketchy to reference poll questions that ask about whether you have strong confidence in the media's ability to accurately report scientific findings (I don't have strong confidence in the media's ability to accurately report what they ate for breakfast that morning) as part of an erosion of trust in science.

Also, like the Democratic platform in general, the author/editor could have done away with the photo of the old couple with the AR pistols at the top of the article, and the paragraph that references three anecdotes, bemoans the lack of "common sense" measures, and tells three more anecdotes of things some states are doing/considering that he disagrees with. Alternatively, he could have also included the idiotic ramblings of politicians in other states and the nonsensical gun control measures that have been proposed and or passed by the other side of the aisle in response to his mass-shooting examples.

The excerpt from the article that rings most true to me, and that I've lamented here several times recently, is the following...

The larger question might be whether engagement really matters. “If your vision of democracy is one in which elections provide solemn opportunities for voters to set the course of public policy and hold leaders accountable, yes,” Bartels wrote in an email to Maclean’s. “If you take the less ambitious view that elections provide a convenient, non-violent way for a society to agree on who is in charge at any given time, perhaps not.”

Welcome to the world of science denial.

"Climate change? The science isn't settled! Maybe it's natural, or maybe it will be good."

"Evolution? The science isn't settled! Maybe the Earth was created 6000 years ago. I mean, there's no way to know."

"Vaccines? The science isn't settled! My kid failed his history test a year after getting a vaccine, and if that's not proof I don't know what is."

"Heliocentrism? The science isn't settled! It sure looks like we're in the middle of things to me."

"The size of America? The science isn't settled! I mean, it's what you feel in your gut that really matters."

champu addressed many misgivings I see about this writing. It's a bit sloppy, quite unfocused, and makes arguments based on presumptions that have at least a little of straw coming out of them.

At the very end, finally gives a little lip service to the obvious question - has the situation actually changed, but doesn't actually answer the question.

mistercwood

******I guess you haven't seen the movie, "Idiocracy."

No, I haven't. Do you recommend it?

I do. It is both excellent and terrifying.

And funny? The imdb entry makes it sound like there ought to be some comedic relief in there too.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

kallend

***I guess you haven't seen the movie, "Idiocracy."

Can't recommend it.
I didn't finish it.
After about 30 minutes they've made the points in the article several times, but even on a "dumber" scale.

Yours and the articles points are well taken and there are times I worry about society. There are other times when I see a child so fascinated with everything form the universe to a jelly fish and I think we'll be alright.

As to this specific forum; while I may not always agree with you, Bill and Paul on some sociological points; I always listen and research the scientific points. Bill, for example made me research the hell out of global warming a few years ago. Scientifically, I cannot ignore the points made and the research behind it.

I'm sure there are times you wish I were more open-mined as do I you. What's important is that I respect your backgrounds enough to give pause and to research. When we stop doing that; well then, the article makes the point.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Can't recommend it.
I didn't finish it.
After about 30 minutes they've made the points in the article several times, but even on a "dumber" scale.

It's a comedy. It's funny. It makes some very broad, and bluntly stated, sociological points.

It ain't Citizen Kane.

- Dan G

From the makers of "Beavis & Butthead."

I'm sure it's a comedy cult thing.

Yeah, I guess so. Mike Judge also made "Office Space", which is a bona fide comedy classic.

If you don't like, you don't like it. Whatever.

- Dan G

mistercwood

******I guess you haven't seen the movie, "Idiocracy."

I do. It is both excellent and terrifying.

+1 on the recommendation great movie.

The saddest part for me is that these issues are even argued STILL in this country. I don't get it, i have been to much more religious countries (just got back from Iran) If you say men used to ride dinosaurs people would assume you are retarded.

I think in general its because knowledge is not valued in the culture, same reason American kids suck at school when others not from the same culture kick ass in the same school.

I do however see it as a side effect of prosperity. You don't need a masters to have a good life in the US. In many other countries you cant.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

DanG

Can't recommend it.
I didn't finish it.

It's a comedy. It's funny. It makes some very broad, and bluntly stated, sociological points.

It ain't Citizen Kane.

It has some documentary aspects to it as it managed to predict the show Aww my balls
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

kelpdiver

Yeah, I guess so. Mike Judge also made "Office Space", which is a bona fide comedy classic.

If you don't like, you don't like it. Whatever.

if you don't like Office Space, you can be an extra on Idiocracy.

Only if you fill out the correct forms correctly:D
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

I especially like that this is another article written by outsiders (Canadians) poking fun at the reality of the situation.

Of course we have been poking fun at Americans for decades, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFgPX0hnNfA but it is reaching a critical mass, as the country does seem to be self-destructing under its own ignorance.

If this is a mass conspiracy by the people in control (the banks, the Jews, the Koch brothers, the right, the left, the whites, the blacks, the Mexicans - sarcastically whatever), they surely must also understand that the destruction of 'their country' also means the destruction of 'their world', so I do not really believe that there is some mass conspiracy. It is more a factor of the mob mentality, and I believe that every empire eventually fails, even this one.

Having said that.....Pasco County State College where my wife teaches, graduated a couple dozen dual enrollment students at graduation this spring.

These kids start taking college course while in high school. There tuition is free. They graduate college with a 2 year Associates Degree before they graduate High School in June.

I watched a lot of these kids, when I was taking classes, and they are smart, they are motivated, they are courteous, they are wonderful citizens of this country, and they are the exact opposite of what the posted article is talking about.

It gives me hope and I hope these people end up running the country.

The inevitable result of a sustained thirty year long pogrom directed against the education system in this country. The GOP wanted to decimate the schools and they succeeded.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

we will hit rock bottom , then we might actually fix it

Unlikely. This is what the 1% wants. They will privatize the education system, then price it so that only their class can afford it. That will provide them with an uneducated, mailable workforce who can be exploited at will. They almost have it now.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Tink1717

we will hit rock bottom , then we might actually fix it

Unlikely. This is what the 1% wants. They will privatize the education system, then price it so that only their class can afford it. That will provide them with an uneducated, mailable workforce who can be exploited at will. They almost have it now.

and your alternative is doing it using dependency - at least it's self inflicted, but the results are the same

so if you are correct, then seems to me, we have two failing philosophies - or at least two cynical outlooks on the two prevailing philosophies

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants