lawrocket

7 million Americans sign up for the ACA.

turtlespeed

***************>No one is suggesting that.

Good! Unfortunately it used to happen; EMTALA helps prevent that.

Please cite an example of a public hospital denying triage care in an emergency situation prior to EMTALA.

Why specify "public"? In an emergency what does it matter how the hospital is funded?

Public hospitals aren't free; TAXPAYERS foot the bill.

Exactly. And as a taxpayer we should ensure our money is spent wisely.

Just as those that run/fund a private hospital should do.

Call a Whambulance...... S T A T

http://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/cbo-cuts-costs-obamacare-billions?cid=sm_facebook

Mission Accomplished

You so funnay -

The CBO cannot lower the cost of healthcare.

If you believe they can, other than in speech, you have much MUCH bigger issues.:S

The Congressional Budget Office this week lowered both the short- and long-term costs of Obamacare by billions of dollars.

But then again - When you use your Fox News MSNBC reference . . . what do you expect with propaganda?

Awww way to totally miss the point.. the CBO.... aka the BUDGET Office....is charged with explaining ARITMETIC to those who did not bother to learn it in grade school. they do not do anything about the cost of healthcare.. they attempt to explain it to the clueless it seems.:ph34r:

From the article: "officials anticipate an overall price tag of $1,383 billion between 2015 and 2024, $104 billion less than previous projections."

How does that compare to projections of spending without the ACA?

- Dan G

DanG

From the article: "officials anticipate an overall price tag of $1,383 billion between 2015 and 2024, $104 billion less than previous projections."

How does that compare to projections of spending without the ACA?

What costs? This is ACA spending. Not the private insurance market spending. Create a program where there was none, pump money into it, and then say that it costs less now than if we'd spent nothing. Say that it was way more expensive and leave it at that.

Just like it compares to the millions who would have been killed by Saddam Hussein's WMDs had we not gone into Iraq. The justification will be maintained no matter what.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

What costs? This is ACA spending. Not the private insurance market spending. Create a program where there was none, pump money into it, and then say that it costs less now than if we'd spent nothing. Say that it was way more expensive and leave it at that.

Are you saying that the government was spending $0 on healthcare prior to the ACA?

Please note the following paragraph of the CBO report:

Those estimates address only the insurance coverage provisions
of the ACA, which do not generate all of the act’s
budgetary effects. Many other provisions, on net, are
expected to reduce budget deficits. Considering all of
the provisions—including the coverage provisions—
CBO and JCT estimated in July 2012 (their most recent
comprehensive estimate) that the ACA’s overall effect
would be to reduce federal deficits.3

- Dan G

[Reply]Considering all of. the provisions—including the coverage provisions— CBO and JCT estimated in July 2012 (their most recent comprehensive estimate) that the ACA’s overall effect would be to reduce federal deficits

Think that has anything to do with the new taxes that are meant to pay for this? Oh, yes, it is revenue increases. $650 billion or so from direct taxes. Another $150 billion from Immigration reform. And - here's the kicker - $700 billion from withdrawing from Afghanistan. And lowering spending by reducing Medicare reimbursement rates.

Which is where the "deficits" will be cut. Revenue and the end of Afghanistan. Social security, Medicare/Medicaid/ACA and interest on debt will more than eat up those savings right quickly.

And - the CBO has changed. Seems to me that the CBO most recently that the ACA would lower deficits (because it's taxing came in before it's spending) early but increase the deficits by the end of this decade.

Still, there's no way the CBO can know any of this right now. They need a few years of data to have any idea how this will bear out. But we know that the government will either: (1) put on price caps (which they've already done); (2) limit access (ration); (3) expand the practice of nursing/pa/psychology/chiropractic to doing physician work and pay them less.

Lowering reimbursement to providers does not lower the cost - just the price. Rationing does not lower the cost. Expanding lesser practices lowers cost, but comes at the price of quality.

[Reply]Considering all of. the provisions—including the coverage provisions— CBO and JCT estimated in July 2012 (their most recent comprehensive estimate) that the ACA’s overall effect would be to reduce federal deficits

Think that has anything to do with the new taxes that are meant to pay for this? Oh, yes, it is revenue increases. $650 billion or so from direct taxes. Another $150 billion from Immigration reform. And - here's the kicker - $700 billion from withdrawing from Afghanistan. And lowering spending by reducing Medicare reimbursement rates.

Which is where the "deficits" will be cut. Revenue and the end of Afghanistan. Social security, Medicare/Medicaid/ACA and interest on debt will more than eat up those savings right quickly.

And - the CBO has changed. Seems to me that the CBO most recently that the ACA would lower deficits (because it's taxing came in before it's spending) early but increase the deficits by the end of this decade.

Still, there's no way the CBO can know any of this right now. They need a few years of data to have any idea how this will bear out. But we know that the government will either: (1) put on price caps (which they've already done); (2) limit access (ration); (3) expand the practice of nursing/pa/psychology/chiropractic to doing physician work and pay them less.

Lowering reimbursement to providers does not lower the cost - just the price. Rationing does not lower the cost. Expanding lesser practices lowers cost, but comes at the price of quality.

For yrs. I have provided my family health ins. being self employed.
cost $550
In Jan. I lost my Plan.I know it was a shit plan,

It took three months,thru Covered Cal.I finally got a plan, so I thought, Effective 4/1/2014, but
I have been unble to get the policy.
because I didnt make the $85.00 payment.
No bill, notification or invoice.

I am Uninsured, untill October when enrollment is open.

Covered Cal. said I was free to get the policy on the open market?
cost $850 without my child.

Are WE One of the Sign UPs?

Are WE the Ones that Lost our Plan, doc...?

Are We Now, three of the Unisured?

Yes, to all the above,

and for my effort and Compliance for the Law...???

Nothing, UNINSURED,

It took three months,thru Covered Cal.I finally got a plan, so I thought, Effective 4/1/2014, but

Did you make 3 (or more) jumps in those 3 months?

Priorities matter. So do deadlines. Hope you can work it out, or nothing bad happens to you or your family before October.

Don

GeorgiaDon

Priorities matter. So do deadlines. Hope you can work it out, or nothing bad happens to you or your family before October.

Don

If you weren't so quick to jump on him and read further you'd see he left out a zero.

Covered Cal. said I was free to get the policy on the open market?
cost $850 without my child.

You guys are like hungry shark just waiting to pounce on the poor and unsuspecting.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

kallend

So you failed to pay and somehow it's someone else's fault that you aren't covered.

Got it.

Wow...Mr. Personal Responsibility thinks people should pay for what they get...except those who go to the ER. :S

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

***So you failed to pay and somehow it's someone else's fault that you aren't covered.

Got it.

Wow...Mr. Personal Responsibility thinks people should pay for what they get...except those who go to the ER. :S

I don't know what you are smoking, but I've never posted anything to suggest I've been in favor of moochers who offload their medical expenses on the hospital or taxpayer. People like Ms. Mary Brown, the GOP's poster child in their suit against the ACA.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If you weren't so quick to jump on him and read further you'd see he left out a zero.

You might be right he left out a zero, but that's not immediately obvious to me. If he signed up through an ACA affiliated plan he may well have been eligible for a subsidy, as opposed to paying full freight because he missed the deadline.

Don

airdvr

Don

Well, clearly he is prone to make mistakes in his life (yet wants to blame others).

John:

* Do you feel that richravizza and his family were included in that 7 million statistic?
* if yes, do you feel they should have been?
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Bolas

John:

* Do you feel that richravizza and his family were included in that 7 million statistic?
* if yes, do you feel they should have been?

Apparently it's > 8 Million.

GeorgiaDon

You might be right he left out a zero, but that's not immediately obvious to me. If he signed up through an ACA affiliated plan he may well have been eligible for a subsidy, as opposed to paying full freight because he missed the deadline.

Don

When do you think those subsidies happen? You think you'll get a check from your uncle every month?

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

Don

When do you think those subsidies happen? You think you'll get a check from your uncle every month?My understanding is that subsidized people pay a reduced premium, and the government pays the balance. Just as I pay part of my insurance premium, and my employer pays the rest. I don't have to pay the entire amount, and then wait to be reimbursed for my employer's share.

Of course, I have no personal experience with ACA subsidies. If you know the system works differently from what I described, why don't you enlighten us?

Don

Of course, I have no personal experience with ACA subsidies. If you know the system works differently from what I described, why don't you enlighten us?

It's in the form of a tax credit. So, you pay your affordable premiums and when you file your taxes you get some of the money back. Not a very workable solution for many who can't afford to pay the premiums.

Destinations by Roxanne

It's in the form of a tax credit. So, you pay your affordable premiums and when you file your taxes you get some of the money back. Not a very workable solution for many who can't afford to pay the premiums.

I don't know where you got your info from, but it seems most people who qualify for a subsidy will have a choice to have the credit applied directly to the premium (so they pay less each month), or to pay the full premium and receive a tax credit when they file. I obviously have no way of knowing about your particular situation.

From here:

"If you qualify for Advance Premium Tax Credits, you use them immediately to lower your monthly premium expense. You pick how much advance tax credits that will apply each month towards your premium payment up to a maximum amount. If you choose an amount that is less than your total Advance Premium Tax Credit, you get the difference when you file your income taxes as a tax refund. But, if the total of your advance premium payments is greater than the amount of your credit, you must pay it back with your tax filing.

In general, you may be eligible for the credit if you meet all of the following:

buy health insurance through the Marketplace;
are ineligible for coverage through an employer or government plan;
are within certain income limits;
file a joint return, if married; and
cannot be claimed as a dependent by another person.

If you are eligible for the credit, you can choose to:

Get It Now: have some or all of the estimated credit paid in advance directly to your insurance company to lower what you pay out-of-pocket for your monthly premiums during 2014; or
Get It Later: wait to get all of the credit when you file your 2014 tax return in 2015."

Don

I am jumping into this thread cold-turkey.

But LR. What is more important to a civilized society?

Maintaing the highest profits possible for companies (which are now people, per USSC) or providing adequate health-care for its citizens regardless of personal circumstances.

Much of the world has figured it out already. Why does the US insist on being exceptionally uncivilized and abducting responsibility to its own citizenry?

lawrocket

Oh, yes. This is awesome. Amazing.

The thought it would cost $41 billion in new spending this year. It's only going to be $35 billion in new spending from tax dollars. They just saved $5 billion. Isn't that great!

Translation: "average new spending from tax dollars will be $138.3 billion per year, which is 400% more than we are spending now. Over the decade, that is $1.383 trillion of new spending from taxes."

This is called "lowering costs." Spending $1.383 trillion over the next decade is called lowering costs.

Here's how government cost cutting works. "4,489 Americans were killed in Iraq. Projections were that over 8,000 Americans would die there. Thank goodness that Bush and Cheney were able to cut costs. They saved over 3,500 lives! They lowered costs."

Correct, Jeanee - "Mission Accomplished."

GeorgiaDon

I don't know where you got your info from, but it seems most people who qualify for a subsidy will have a choice to have the credit applied directly to the premium (so they pay less each month), or to pay the full premium and receive a tax credit when they file. I obviously have no way of knowing about your particular situation.

From here:

"If you qualify for Advance Premium Tax Credits, you use them immediately to lower your monthly premium expense. You pick how much advance tax credits that will apply each month towards your premium payment up to a maximum amount. If you choose an amount that is less than your total Advance Premium Tax Credit, you get the difference when you file your income taxes as a tax refund. But, if the total of your advance premium payments is greater than the amount of your credit, you must pay it back with your tax filing.

In general, you may be eligible for the credit if you meet all of the following:

buy health insurance through the Marketplace;
are ineligible for coverage through an employer or government plan;
are within certain income limits;
file a joint return, if married; and
cannot be claimed as a dependent by another person.

If you are eligible for the credit, you can choose to:

Get It Now: have some or all of the estimated credit paid in advance directly to your insurance company to lower what you pay out-of-pocket for your monthly premiums during 2014; or
Get It Later: wait to get all of the credit when you file your 2014 tax return in 2015."

Don

As with anything that has to do with the government its not that simple or easy.

http://www.cbpp.org/files/QA-on-Premium-Credits.pdf

9 pages later and I'm still not sure how it works.

Destinations by Roxanne